fuel consumption

keithwin

Have been enjoying my 3.0 diesel xf but disappointed with fuel consumption.The trip was returned to 0 have done 100miles with a mixture of urban and dual carrigeway and I am managed 28 to the gallon is this correct Keith

Hi Keith,

A lot depends on what fuel your are using ---  premium fuel gets a better mpg.  At the moment my 2,7 D has 29.9 mpg on the computer with mostly short runs using shell v power, which  I expect.  I think your 28 says that your mpg is a bit high unless you are driving like a boy racer.

Having your engine terra cleaned might help, and if you are using supermarket fuel I would change to the expensive stuff.

Regards,

Peter.

Hi kieth , just bought the same car last week , and it does seem to be more efficient on the vpower stuff , im getting about 32mpg on the usual run about but have had it up to 40 on a longer motorway run , before i was struggling to get over 30 lol still not bad for such a big heavy beast

Hello all,

I'm running a 2008 2.7 XF and currently getting 35.5 mpg.  This is with supermarket diesel but with cetane booster from powerenhancer.  i also ordered a diesel service pack2 from the same company of receipt of the car.  Cost was about £34.00 for the pack consisting of engine Oil additive, fuel system lubricant and some other stuff thsat you stick in the tank (very technical, I know).  The cetane booster is a clear fluid that cost around £12.00 for a litre.  Adding between 50 and 100 mls per tankful basically gives you the same results as V-power.

The fact that I'm getting 35.5 mpg from a 2.7d tells me that these things work and can save a lot of cash in the longrun as well as keeping your motor up to a good standard.  I have also fitted a plug and play diesel box that cost £120.00. The one I chose was a bluespark 2 and is on the factory standard setting.  Happy with the performance and economy, so I haven't felt the need to change the settings on the box.  i'll get the name of the cetane booster I use and post it here.  I have tried to proprietary brands of these things, but the ones I ordered therough the online site are less expensive and work.  The mpg figures in comparison to others on here tell me that.

Byt the way, I have 2 x mile journeys to and from work, from Dundee to Perth daily.

frankie

• 4 weeks later...

I have had my car for about 5 weeks. A 3.0 litre  diesel S XF

Its averaged 37mpg over that time

at no more than 70 on motorway it shows 45mpg

around town 34ish

It takes time for the average to read accurately so give it a few miles before worrying, always grows from in the 20's

So far I'm pleased with the economy

Andy

• 1 year later...

Mid 30s mpg seems typical agmonst my friends and my own experience of 145,000 miles in a 3 litre diesel xf. Keep tyre pressures checked and topped up. I spent a year in Cornwall and noted hilly areas have a surprising affect on mpg. Unlike a bicycle you don't recover all the extra energy having gone up the hill, when you come back down.

• 5 weeks later...
On ‎03‎/‎05‎/‎2015 at 6:23 PM, keithwin said:

Have been enjoying my 3.0 diesel xf but disappointed with fuel consumption.The trip was returned to 0 have done 100miles with a mixture of urban and dual carrigeway and I am managed 28 to the gallon is this correct Keith

I own a XF 3.0 D S around town I average about 28 to gallon but on a run 40+ came back from York last week average speed 70MPH returned 48 to gallon well happy.

My 2009 3.0 litre XF diesel has now done 190,000 miles. It uses the same small amount of Oil and the mpg is unchanged since I bought it nearly 6 years ago. The mpg displayed on the trip computer was pretty accurate compared to fuel tank brim to brim checks over many thousands of miles. On average I get 35 mpg and on a longer individual run staying within the speed limits and sensible driving can get up to 42 mpg. From spending hundreds of hours driving on UK motorways and being a little bored I would often recheck steady driving mpg. I consistently got the following on 20 mile sections of motorway 90 mph = 33 mpg  80 mph= 37 mph and 70 mpg = 42 mpg. I had an ECU remap upping BHP from 237 to a claimed 296 (it certainly feels proportionately that much quicker) and all that has done is knock 10% off these mpg figures. I bought the car in Cornwall and lived there for a year. I noticed the hilly terrain made a signicant dent in mpg compared to driving in flatter areas. A lot of town driving kills mpg and in heavy M25 stop - start traffic I have seen 15 - 18 mpg displayed in vehicle. I don't think the mpg is that bad considering the performance on hand and the weight of the car. There are very modern cars that don't do that much better in road tests. Landrover Evoque with the latest 2 litre diesel only get about 38 mpg and that's a lot less powerful motor. Forget what the manufacturers claim the mpg should be. Its not real world driving.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PG63 said:

My 2009 3.0 litre XF diesel has now done 190,000 miles. It uses the same small amount of oil and the mpg is unchanged since I bought it nearly 6 years ago. The mpg displayed on the trip computer was pretty accurate compared to fuel tank brim to brim checks over many thousands of miles. On average I get 35 mpg and on a longer individual run staying within the speed limits and sensible driving can get up to 42 mpg. From spending hundreds of hours driving on UK motorways and being a little bored I would often recheck steady driving mpg. I consistently got the following on 20 mile sections of motorway 90 mph = 33 mpg  80 mph= 37 mph and 70 mpg = 42 mpg. I had an ECU remap upping BHP from 237 to a claimed 296 (it certainly feels proportionately that much quicker) and all that has done is knock 10% off these mpg figures. I bought the car in Cornwall and lived there for a year. I noticed the hilly terrain made a signicant dent in mpg compared to driving in flatter areas. A lot of town driving kills mpg and in heavy M25 stop - start traffic I have seen 15 - 18 mpg displayed in vehicle. I don't think the mpg is that bad considering the performance on hand and the weight of the car. There are very modern cars that don't do that much better in road tests. Landrover Evoque with the latest 2 litre diesel only get about 38 mpg and that's a lot less powerful motor. Forget what the manufacturers claim the mpg should be. Its not real world driving.

I think that is pretty good PG, and the main thing is that you have enjoyed a large, reliable, powerful car which is an excellent motorway cruiser, whilst achieving those very creditable figures.

• 2 years later...

Hi, I have just bought a jag xf 2008 2.7 diesel, so far best mpg is 21 I get between 19 - 20 after smooth drive not harsh driving mpg remained same on motorway, changed Oil and air filter but it had made no difference. Car had done 108k mies no smoke etc. Would really appreciate your help

• 2 weeks later...

Hi John, and welcome to the club.

That looks like a very good mpg.

The best I have had on my S type 2.7 D is 50.2 mpg.

I will look for better as I have bought a small gadget which connects to the ECU and gives you an indication of your own driving performance in respect of gentle usage of the accelerator.

Regards,

Peter.

Hi --Welcome to the club John -----

Is it just me but If we are talking MPG in a 3.0 ltr car on any real luxury car like the XF and have to drive extremely carefully to get the best fuel consumption ?????

I know my Jaguar X type is only a 2 ltre engine but I just drive and enjoy the feel of the vehicle and love it .???

All the best. 

Frank

On 3/19/2019 at 10:44 PM, Kaash said:

Hi, I have just bought a jag xf 2008 2.7 diesel, so far best mpg is 21 I get between 19 - 20 after smooth drive not harsh driving mpg remained same on motorway, changed oil and air filter but it had made no difference. Car had done 108k mies no smoke etc. Would really appreciate your help

Welcome to the club, Kaash.

Like you, I am surprised at the MPG, as the 2.7 engine is a very good piece of engineering.  I use Premium Fuel, and I think that the fuel system needs cleaning --  the use of an additive would assist, as would a Terraclean service.

Let us know how you get on.

Regards, 

Peter.

Hi

If your worried and miles per gallon, maybe a Jaguar is the wrong car for you

Jaguar are Grace, Pace and Space, Its all about smiles per gallon, not miles per gallon

I think its Jaguars biggest downfall, Moving to Diesels, I bet they regret it now.

Though 28 mpg is really poor, I get 35.6 on a run in my S-type R, 4.2 petrol supercharged, Though I would;nt change it if it only did 20mpg

Cheers

Joe

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Completely agree, Joe! Except to say that the Jaguar diesels seem to be very good diesels! Most people who've been in mine don't even realise it's a diesel.

I bought my XF-S 3.0D because I love the way it looks and drives. Was prepared for poor economy, but am now pleasantly surprised. Given that I have a legendary heavy right foot, I'm delighted with 30ish mpg on short trips and almost 50mpg on cruise-controlled long motorway trips.

Cheers,
Jon

Jaguar entered into the market for Diesel cars very late in time and long after Mercedes and BMW did.  They were then under the ownership of Ford who had several diesel engines across their various car models.  The then Government were supporting the manufacture and usage of diesel engine as they gave out less CO2.  The Government did not consider Nitrogen or any particles that might be expelled through the exhaust system. 

Jaguar [under Ford] did produce some rather good diesel engines and the cars in which they were installed did sell very well.  When TATA bought Jaguar they built an large engine plant near Wolverhampton which made the Ingenium engine in both diesel and petrol versions which are also very good engines. 

Then both the EU and the Government began to demonise diesels and seemed to disregard those engines in Taxis, lorries, vans etc.  My s type with a 2.7 Diesel engine will not now be allowed into Birmingham or London City centres. [I will not drive into either in any case]

Joe is quite correct and although Jaguar might regret the move to diesel, I think that their engineers are on the move to build lighter cars with smaller but more powerful engines.  The use of aluminium instead of steel does not seem to bother TATA even though they own the Port Talbot Works.  Many people do not know that India has the largest [about 71%] of the worlds supply of Bauxite [Aluminium Ore] and Iceland have a large Aluminium producer which can manufacture the product very cheaply due to electric power, much needed in any smelter.

I won't be around in 20 years when the all electric cars are whizzing round the world, but the climate will be better. Hopefully].

Peter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1