Adding DAB to a 2008 XKR

CSR

Hi

I have a 2008 XKR. Unfortunately it does not have DAB or an Aux socket. My Jag dealer said there is not a Jag DAB upgrade and an Aux upgrade is about £500.

Has anybody had a Pure/Alpine (or any other 3rd party DAB) installed into a X150?

If so what, how much, is it any good and who can install it for me, as I would like to use a company that has experience of fitting DAB into a XKR.

I have read that the DAB will need to be connected to my FM aerial (as I do not have an Aux) and that could lose me the standard Jag FM/AM option, is that correct?

I hope someone can help and thanks in advance.

Cheers

• 11 months later...

• 2 months later...

Just for completeness guys, I have just tried to have an Alpine Ezi-DAB fitted to my MY2008 XK - it turns out that the system is not compatible - something to do with the aerial connections. Like Clive, my dealer has quoted £500 to fit the Audio Connection Module (ACM), which is too much for me. 

Rimmers are selling the module for about £240 (http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-C2P16491?gclid=CjwKEAiAmo_CBRC9qbGQssjqi28SJABYTgZxk6rR1M1Z7Kbjqy4jmAsWLVzX9uzBTxykwrjab0U8dRoCUxzw_wcB), and the instructions are available on Topic (I think) but the head unit will need to be reprogrammed to activate the additional features activated. 

I'm currently (reluctantly) thinking about an FM Modulator, but if funds allow, may fork out for the ACM later in the year.

Other than that, I am flat out of options, but would be really interested if someone else can sort this mystery

Cheers

• 1 month later...
Thought I would update this post (for anyone who is interested)

Having given the Alpine Ezi-Dab a go, I realised (very quickly) that it would not fit the XK's radio. Connections were not at all compatible, and the professional fitter very quickly waved the white flag. Fortunately, as I was within the distance selling timescales, I returned the product for a full refund, and it was back to the drawing board.

At face value, the £500 dealer option was beinging to look like the only way forward.

That was until I stumbled across the Roidmi 2S Music bluetooth Car Charger

file.jpg

This was the route that I really wanted to avoid like the plague - I was really determined not to have to rely on an FM Modulator, as I had tried these in the past and was realy unimpressed by the quality.

Anyway, with little option, I splashed out my £20 on eBay, and the gizmo arrived today. After spending a couple of hours driving around with it up and running, I have to say that I am rather impressed. Once connected by bluetooth to the phone (in my case, an iPhone7), you can download an app which sets the thing up onto an unused radio frequency. After that, anything that you play on the phone (music, streaming services (e.g. Spotify) or Digital Radio) all get broadcast to the Roidmi and played through the relevant radio channel.

The device is also supposed to act as a handsfree phone kit ..... but I'm not so sure about that !

So far :

+ Sound quality is great - no interference experienced (yet)
+ The iPhone will pair to the Roidmi for music, and still also pair to the car's handsfree setup for phone calls
+ The device will monitor the status of your battery and will sound an alarm if it drops below a threshold that you set
+ It fits out of the way in the glove box accessory socket - so not visible in the car
+ It has 2 x USB sockets built in for charging
+ Can be moved from vehicle to vehicle

- Handsfree use is rather poor - I would avoid that.

So, if you have a similar setup to me and you are looking for a cheap option for music streaming and/or DAB, you might want to try this out. I have to say that I am really very pleasantly surprised.

The manufacturer's site is :http://www.roidmi.com/en/, and the device is readily available from all good eBay retailers now !!

Cheers
Geoff

PS - Apologies with the formatting of this post - really not sure what is happening there

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Join The Club

Join the Jaguar Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

• Topics

• Our picks

• Simply Jaguar show at Beaulieu - Sunday 23rd June 2024
      Jaguar Owners Club have a stand at this year's Simply Jaguar event at the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, Hampshire on Sunday 23rd June 2024

Tickets are available online here: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar/
      • 1 reply
    • JAGUAR’S LAST PETROL SPORTS CAR: F-TYPE ZP EDITION TAKES THE CHEQUERED FLAG
      Jaguar is commemorating the end of its internal combustion sports car lineage in 2024 with an exclusive limited-edition F-TYPE inspired by two iconic 1960s racing E-types

Just 150 examples of the F-TYPE ZP Edition will be the last internal combustion-engined sports cars designed by Jaguar. These 575PS supercharged petrol V8 F-TYPEs feature specially curated interior and exterior details by the personalisation experts at SV Bespoke.
    • UPDATE SHOW INFORMATION !

Please find attached your club label – please can this be distributed amongst your club members prior to the event. Please ensure that they print this label and display it in their windscreen upon entry to the event, this ensures that all members wishing to park within your club area are directed to the correct parking location by our stewards. Please do not modify or add logos to the club label.

We do ask that all individuals have purchased their tickets on an individual basis in advance via our website, to speed up the entry process on the day. This can be done on our website here until 2pm on the day when admission closes: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar.

Note that we do have two entrances available, one is exhibitors gate at the bottom of the hill as you come in to Beaulieu, with the other being the normal Simply event entrance within the attraction. Either entrance is fine to use and both are open from 9.00am, with the exhibitors entrance closing around 11am.

Jaguar Owners Club (1).pdf
    • Simply Jaguar - Beaulieu Motor Museum - 25th June 2023
      Jaguar Owners Club have a stand at this years Simply Jaguar event at the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, Hampshire on Sunday 26th June 2023

Tickets are available online here: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar/

TICKETS & PRICES
      Participant prices are only valid if arriving in a Jaguar and taking part in the rally. They are not valid for those arriving on foot.

Participants can make the most of our EARLY BIRD discount by booking before 28th February 2023.

Children under 5 require a ticket, this can be booked online free of charge.

Participant and visitor tickets will include entrance to the rest of the Beaulieu attraction, including the National Motor Museum, Palace House, Little Beaulieu, World of Top Gear, Beaulieu Abbey and its grounds and gardens.

The best time for viewing the Simply rally is between 10am and 2pm.

Adult

Child

Participants – Early Bird*

£14.00

£7.50

Participants – Standard & On The Day

£16.00

£8.00

Visitors

Normal admission applies.

Normal admission applies

*Early bird tickets are available until 28th February 2023

VEHICLE ENTRY
      Entry with your Jaguar is from 9am – 2pm. Please make sure you have your ticket printed or available on your phone, ready to be scanned on arrival.

Please do not arrive early for our Simply rallies as no facilities will be open prior to 9:30am.

Cars cannot leave and re-enter the grounds for the Simply rallies.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

CLUB STAND ATTENDEE LIST

We do ask for a final update on numbers 2 weeks prior to the event following which we will send out club labels to you via email for you to then distribute out to club members. Club members then need to print and display these in their windscreen on arrival. This helps us then park you all in your club area together.

1. Trevor (admin)
      2.  Paj

• 5 replies
    • F-TYPE marks 75 years of Jaguar sports cars and its final model year update
      The Jaguar F-TYPE is the definitive Jaguar sports car from a rich bloodline spanning 75 years and including some of the most iconic models ever built

Forums

News

Membership