New Owner - 2003, V8 S Type

Nightwing

Cheers Amal

I appreciate the feedback, having looked at the map, I would think I'm way to far for a mobile mechanic to travel. It was worth a try!

Regards

Steve

Depends, where in a London? I am meeting him tomorrow, I could mention how far he would travel. He is a nice chap. It's his father and he who are the business effectively. I only met him. But when he serviced my Landrover he said his father was a good sounding board for second opinion.

Depends, where in a London? I am meeting him tomorrow, I could mention how far he would travel. He is a nice chap. It's his father and he who are the business effectively. I only met him. But when he serviced my Landrover he said his father was a good sounding board for second opinion.

Would be nice to know where he's willing to travel, as I'm not far from Tonbridge Wells :)

I am sure he would be prepared to travel to most places in Kent. Let me know if you want me to ask.

If you don't mind asking him what areas he covers, I'd appreciate it.

Does he have a website/email?

Thanks.

Was made aware yesterday that my rear offside tyer was looking a bit flat.

Close look confirmed.

So this afternoon after having had a Sunday afternoon blast in the other car, took this big cat to have his tyres pumped up!

I must confess it has been years since I did this. Almost always my cars tyers are dealt with at service - so I followed the instructions carefully.

The writing on the tyres said they had to be pumped to level 50 air pressure (some initials I cant recall now).

The flattish tyre - was on 18!!!

So looked at the others...one more appeared a little flat...this one was on 28...so were the other two!!!

It seems all my tyres may have been half below their optimum level.

Once fully inflated the cars seating position felt higher and it drove like it was floating on air!!!

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Consult your handbook immediately and drop the pressures to 32psi all round.

The 50psi it the LIMIT that the tyre can be set at for testing purposes!!!

Iirc 28psi is the comfort setting and 32psi is the "normal" setting and 38psi is the fully loaded car pressure.

Hi Amal,

Andy is quite right and also I can stress a certain element of urgency in getting the tyre pressures correct.

In the sixty odd years I have been on the road in one type of vehicle or another I have seen massive changes from the days when car heaters were an option extra, and windscreen wipers only had one speed.  There is one thing that has never changed since the pneumatic tyre was invented about 130 years ago, and that is the the pressures you should have.

You have a two ton car that is capable of over 100 mph and which the only connection between you and the road is some rubber and some air, with the latter being one of the cheapest things you can get.

The type pressures are to be found both in your handbook, as Andy has said, but also on the door pillar on the driver's side.

A tyre pressure gauge costs about a tenner, and I carry one all the time in the title storage box in the armrest.  I also carry a tread gauge, and in the boot there is something I never drive without - a tyre inflator.  When I was a cyclist I never went out without a bicycle Pump, and my first car always had a foot pump in the boot.  Spending a few shillings on the modern electric version is well worth while,  as is a tyre check at lest once a month.

They used to say before they invented antifreeze and suchlike modern things, that a car was like a human being --  to survive it needed air and water!

Regards,

Peter.

• 4 weeks later...

So had the car given it's first annual service under my ownership.

Took it to Jaguar Lancaster, Seven Oaks. They gave it full look over and apart from A couple of reasonably minor wear and worn items, it was said yo be an excellent example of a SType.

They also sorted out the lunatic satnav. Apparently it had a detour fir all routes inserted in the set up...no wonder it liked to take me everywhere via a 200 miles bend!

All works fine and dandy now.

Next task a stone chip on the roof to be Chipped Awayd and then a good detailing to bring the car back to life.

HPN to you all...

• 2 months later...

Happy Easter all...

on drive back from London diagnostics light flashed on. Message said car is running at restricted level. Can't get to service until Tuesday, is it bad if I continue to drive?

Hi Nightwing.

Did you turn the car off and on again (yes I know but it does reset the computer)?

if it goes away you should be fine to keep driving short-term but need to get the code read at a garage to find out what caused it. When it happened to me was an airflow sensor.

if it comes back straight away may be more serious and would not recommend driving far, it is a limp-home mode after all and can damage the car if you carry on driving.

Hope this helps,

David

Welcome to the club, David.

Amal, no point in repeating what David has said.  It was good advice,  A bit of inconvenience is much better than a lot on inconvenience, and possibly cash.

Nicely done, David!

Regards, Peter,

Sorry for late reply to Dafu Zander OP.  A day after the light went off. I spoke JagLanc and they said monitor it, if it goes away fine, sometimes it happens if there's been a sudden jolt, which there was over a nasty pothole. 

Not returned yet. It's driving fine. Went to Rochester and back last weekend. It drove like a dream.

i will take it for a wick look as soon as I can as the brake squeek has come back yesterday afternoon. Again, the has been on and off. Maybe a bit of dirt they said as it's quite muddy where I live, a wash will get rid of it.

The wing mirrors are a bit out as I explained for reasons out of my hand...so a few ailments for the doc at nect visit. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Cars break squeak has been an issue and some thug bashed my wing mirror, messing the drivers side mirror so that is needs some help to whiz open/close.

Took it JagLanc Seven Oaks to address both. After three hours of waiting they returned car same as it went in, with a bad wash. But they made sure they charged me circa £70

Don't know what to do now, any suggestions?

Bit annoying to be ripped off by a firm you go to hoping you will be getting a good and trusty service.

Have a word with X Type Den on this forum, whom I happen to know has some powerfold mirrors available :yes: They only take ten minutes to change.

squeaky brakes might be as simple as needing some copper grease on the back of the pads.

5 minutes ago, Nightwing said:

I can't believe the comedians at JagLanc could not sort a bit of grease out on the brakes!

To be fair, that's only one possibility, although common Amal.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all...happy belated Independence Day!

Thank you for your comments in relation to the brakes and wing mirror. I spoke to JagLanc quite strongly and they are taking the car in to remedy these. They will replace disk/pads if whichever is squeaking and clean and check mirror to fix it or replace motor. Also getting a 6 monthly mini service.

The next big spend maybe next month will be to get Chips Away to touch up a couple little stone chips and maybe get one big one sprayed as it's taken the smallest chip to the steel. THEN get the car professionally detailed droits gleaming like it was when new.

Boy I love this car even more every day, despite having a DB7 in my garage. It's this one I drive daily and it's this one that I smile at most. It's also one of my childhood dream cars.

Now, some more advise please...I have all the bit and pieces set up in the car for an in-car Motorola phone, but no phone. I want to instal it. I have no idea if it will work. I don't even know how the network works these day. If I just call a network and get a SIM card and that's it?

Anyway, I found this...shall I buy it?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/311603031681?rmvSB=true

I would really appreciate any steers....thanking you in advance.

Hi, I use giffgaff for my kids phones. Monthly contract starts from £5 per month and you are not tied into any minimum contract lengh. You can cancel at at any time. Go to www.giffgaff.com to order a sim card online. Once you have the card you also can activate it online. Service runs on 02 network. Can't help with the handset but if you already have all the bits should be plug in and away you go?  If not someone else on here will come along and help. Good luck.