Diesel owners

JOE-DOT-COM

Before I bought my S Type 4 years ago I did quite a lot of research.  I had had diesels before, both Rovers, one with a Peugeot Engine and the other with the K series Rover diesel.  Neither had the DPF filters, and it was that difference which caused me to do the research.

I knew that the EU emissions required some cars to be fitted with the DPF , and I made sure what I had to do to make sure it was regularly regenerated.

What does surprise me somewhat is that when I take a dipstick reading from when the engine has been idle overnight  the reading shows that there is an amount of Oil in the sump at the satisfactory level, and when I wipe the dipstick it is often about 5mm higher.  I does appear that the design of the dipstick seems to drag a small amount of Oil up the pipe.  

Regards,

Peter.

When I bought my Jaguar, I knew nothing of DPF and the salesman never mentioned it to me. I don't see this issue stressed in the manual either. I am not much into cars but a very careful driver with no penalty points. To me, a car is what it is to most people - means of transportation. 

I will now get the engine replaced and sell this vehicle ASAP, then forget about Jaguar, diesels, and DPFs once and forever. I will be sure to tell all of my contacts about my experience, so they would be making informed choices for themselves.

My manual has a 2 column  full page item on the diesel particulate filter, and I am very surprised that the salesman didn't mention the regeneration process, which he ought to have done.

Whatever car you have it will most certainly have an engine which always needs some maintenance by the driver/owner.  Fluids should be checked on a regular basis, and it is always worth carrying in the boot a bottle of screen wash water, plus some engine coolant.  Running out of either can cause something to go wrong.

SWMBO has a Toyota Yaris Hybrid  ---   very reliable vehicle  ---  but the Oil has to be checked, the engine coolant has to be checked, and the screen washer topped up every wee.

Regards,

Peter.

I mean there's no special focus on the DPF filter with regards to the problems that might arise from its failure to regenerate.

Were I ought to have the car checked several times within the three months that passed since the last service? Is so, would these checks have to be weekly or daily?

I think it needs to be remembered that the danger of diesel engine runaway associated with too high an Oil level - for whatever reason  - is not peculiar to Jags but all diesels with or without a PDF.  The added complexity of a PDF adds another risk but this must be seen in the light of the increasing complexity of cars in almost every direction. Hence the need to obey the recommendations and do the checks recommended.  I was always told to check my Oil regularly as your life depended on it along with your tyres etc.  We would not expect an airline pilot to cut short his checks prior to taking off.

I would like to thank Joe for raising in the first place the warning about DPFs and their dangers in particular circumstances.  It was certainly a wake up call even to those who might have been partially aware.  I have to say I thought the worst was the possibility of having to shell out a four figure sum for a replacement DPF if it became over full and regeneration not fully effective. That was bad enough but I feel really sorry for Oleh who has experienced the extreme end result. Even though I was aware of the principle of diesel runaway, I will now be checking my Oil levels more frequently.  Can anyone help with the following:

I believe that for regeneration to be effective the DPF has to reach 600deg C and that in ordinary driving typical temperatures are nearer 400 deg C.  If the car is run for long motorway journeys  does the DPF reach a high enough temperature to clear itself without added fuel or does it always continue to collect soot until forced regeneration is triggered using extra fuel?  I ask because having recently done several hundred miles of motorway driving at a stretch, I found my overall fuel consumption had risen to a figure not previously seen - 50mpg. Granted there were quite a lot of speed restrictions which probably lowered the overall average speed, - but - even town driving immediately after achieved better than normal figures.  So what is the best way to obtain the most effective regeneration?

What does Jag say about additives that are supposed to reduce the temperature at which the soot is burnt off?  I would normally be very wary about adding any additives but in these circumstances it is noteworthy that there is a growing market in chemicals claiming to improve the DPF problems.

• 3 months later...

This DPF thing has totally ruined my experience of an otherwise lovely car. I used to take bi-weekly 40 mile trips on motorway which whilst inconvenient was palatable. Now this trip - and longer ones - have not solved the problem. I've now boked the car in for a professional DPF clean but been told this might not fix the problem. Anyone had one of these? Do they tend to work?

Hi Tom,

Has your XF got the 2.7 diesel engine, which is the same as used in the S Type?

In four and a half years I have not had a problem, and I only do about 6,000 miles a year in the Jaguar, with mostly relatively short runs. The DPF is designed to  filter out the particles of, to put it plainly, "muck" that comes out of the exhaust.  I was advised  years ago to use to use the best quality fuel [I use Shell V power] as Diesel fuel is less refined than petrol.  The principle being that if you put nasty stuff in you get nasty stuff out,  I also use a DPF cleaning additive every now and then.

Let us know you you get on.

Peter.

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 2:00 PM, Old Peter said:

Hi Tom,

Has your XF got the 2.7 diesel engine, which is the same as used in the S Type?

In four and a half years I have not had a problem, and I only do about 6,000 miles a year in the Jaguar, with mostly relatively short runs. The DPF is designed to  filter out the particles of, to put it plainly, "muck" that comes out of the exhaust.  I was advised  years ago to use to use the best quality fuel [I use Shell V power] as Diesel fuel is less refined than petrol.  The principle being that if you put nasty stuff in you get nasty stuff out,  I also use a DPF cleaning additive every now and then.

Let us know you you get on.

Peter.

Hi Peter,

Yes, the same engine.

I'm just back from the clean and they said they couldn't regen as it needs a new EGR valve (£800). yikes! don't know what to do...