S Type stereo and phone

Sedateme

Hi everyone.

im really sorry to ask this as I've found a few threads on the subject. However I've not managed to find one that exactly fits what i'm seeing.

my 53 plate s type doesn't have a touch screeen, there is a multi changer in the boot.

Ive tried to get the phone working using the instructions here but typing in the #... code does nothing (apart from tune the radio to program 3). Does that mean the car doesn't have bluetooth ?

I've talked to a couple of local car stereo fitters who tell me an after market unit can be fitted if my system doesn't have an amplifier.

I have also seen there are lots of Jaguar touch screens on eBay. Retrofitting one of those is quite appealing as I like the idea of keeping the car looking authentic. How easy is that option?

I've called Jaguar support but they were unable to answere any of the above questions.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Pete

IMG_1328.JPG

Pete, use yoiur phone in bluetooth discovery mode with the car's ignition switched on. If the car has bluetooth you will see "Jaguar" on your phone.

You can retrofit Jaguar's own bluetooth phone system quite easily of your car proves to be without.

Retrofitting the touchscreen is possible but is a real pain in the a**

• Like 1

On ‎21‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 9:39 AM, Raistlin said:

Pete, use yoiur phone in Bluetooth discovery mode with the car's ignition switched on. If the car has Bluetooth you will see "Jaguar" on your phone.

You can retrofit Jaguar's own Bluetooth phone system quite easily of your car proves to be without.

Thanks, I'm going to have a bash at fitting something up to date, I'll post details of how I get in... even if it's abject failure ;)

On ‎21‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 9:39 AM, Raistlin said:

Pete, use yoiur phone in Bluetooth discovery mode with the car's ignition switched on. If the car has Bluetooth you will see "Jaguar" on your phone.

You can retrofit Jaguar's own Bluetooth phone system quite easily of your car proves to be without.

Fail! It looks like there is no way of getting a 2 DIN unit into the space, not sure how a 1 din would look.

I'm pretty sure there is no bluetooth, don't suppose you have any instructions for the installation? (I may be getting out of my depth here)

• 3 weeks later...

the easiest and probably the cheapest way to get bluetooth in your car is just to replace the stereo with a modern one. There are fascia kits available which allow you to put either a single or double din unit in in place of the Jag unit. 

Retro fitting the Jag touch screen is an awful lot of work and as the CAN Bus cables probably aren't fitted to your car would be pretty expensive. After all that faff you end up with a satnav unit that is already 4 years out of date and won't be getting any new map updates.

I have exactly the same setup as you except that I don't have the autochanger. I deliberately bought the car without the touch screen satnav because I knew I wanted to replace the stereo. I got a nice Sony unit fitted which gives me not only bluetooth but also DAB and the ability to play music from a USB stick. Cost me around £150 including the fascia kit and required cables including a DAB ariel.

2 minutes ago, Jerakeen said:

. I got a nice Sony unit fitted which gives me not only bluetooth but also DAB and the ability to play music from a USB stick. Cost me around £150 including the fascia kit and required cables including a DAB ariel.

Please can we see pictures?

5 hours ago, Jerakeen said:

the easiest and probably the cheapest way to get bluetooth in your car is just to replace the stereo with a modern one. There are fascia kits available which allow you to put either a single or double din unit in in place of the Jag unit. 

Retro fitting the Jag touch screen is an awful lot of work and as the CAN Bus cables probably aren't fitted to your car would be pretty expensive. After all that faff you end up with a satnav unit that is already 4 years out of date and won't be getting any new map updates.

I have exactly the same setup as you except that I don't have the autochanger. I deliberately bought the car without the touch screen satnav because I knew I wanted to replace the stereo. I got a nice Sony unit fitted which gives me not only bluetooth but also DAB and the ability to play music from a USB stick. Cost me around £150 including the fascia kit and required cables including a DAB ariel.

I am thinking about doing the same Colin , any chance of putting a photo up to see what it looks like ?

Cheers , Andy

Interested in this too, particularly can the steering wheel controls operate an aftermarket head unit? I have the earlier X200 but thought I'd be looking at a double DIN unit. Not bothered about savnav and touchscreen, but playing from phone or USB without the expensive ACM is of interest...

Hi

it can be done ben wilcox converts them on another forum

have a look here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pqhpaa8E2w&t=2s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pqhpaa8E2w&t=2s

here are the instructions on how to convert one

http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=96954

cheers

Joe

UK Friends,

Thank you for maintaining this forum.  I have a low mileage 2007 S in Southern California where it experiences minimal wear and tear so I have no plans to replace it.  As you know, the bluetooth only works for calls and if there is an auxiliary sound system jack (as we have in our similar vintage Land Rover) I've never found it.  I've tried to understand internet postings and I am aware of the Parrot brand although I have difficulty understand exactly what their product is.  I am simply looking for any information about retrofitting an aux jack, or bluetooth to play from the iPhone into the car system, such as product kits I could get the dealer or an independent audio refitter to install without any major disruption to the original equipment and look.   Thank you.

Welcome to the club, Don.

Nive to see another member from the USA  ----  I did see an S Type in Phoenix a few years ago.

My son has an X Type Jaguar which has got a similar problem but I managed to find a small plug in unit that enabled him to connect his iPhone and play music.

I got it via Googling and finished up getting it though eBay and the cost was about £20  --  $25.

Unfortunately I do knot know the link, but I am sure that you will be able to find one.

Let us know how you get on.

Paul [Raistlin] is an expert retro fitter and if he sees this post he will certainly give you some assistance.

Regards

Peter.  

On 15/07/2017 at 10:17 AM, Raistlin said:

Great write-up, except that Photobucket are playing hardball :(

If anybody else is interested, I've spoken to Ben Wilcox and he is trying to get the photos re-hosted in the near future.

I'm certainly going to have a go at his mod as it seems relatively simple and not very expensive but with the ability to re-fit the OEM Jaguar stuff :)

• 1 month later...
On ‎14‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 2:39 PM, Sedateme said:

Hi everyone.

im really sorry to ask this as I've found a few threads on the subject. However I've not managed to find one that exactly fits what i'm seeing.

my 53 plate s type doesn't have a touch screeen, there is a multi changer in the boot.

Didn't bluetooth come in 2004? My 53 plate has a phone but it is the built in unit in the armrest

8 hours ago, brent said:

Didn't Bluetooth come in 2004? My 53 plate has a phone but it is the built in unit in the armrest

HI

Yes it did, but it can be retro fitted, to 2002 onwards, the bluetooth module plugs in where the phone does

but some of the wires need swapping in the connector in the armrest and on the connector in the boot on the phone module, its quite straight forward

cheers

Joe

13 hours ago, JOE-DOT-COM said:

Yes it did, but it can be retro fitted, to 2002 onwards, the bluetooth module plugs in where the phone does

but some of the wires need swapping in the connector in the armrest and on the connector in the boot on the phone module, its quite straight forward

Aye, I know it can be retrofitted :) I was trying to point out that the original poster was looking for bluetooth on his car, but due to being a 53 plate he would have had a physical handset in the armrest should the car have the phone option, unless of course a previous owner had been one of us lot that retrofit things like mad :)

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to bring this topic back up.

I've successfullyretro fitted the touch screen and voice control to my 53 plate x type.

Now started doing the phone retro fit.

I obtained the module,loom and bluetooth btm from a donar car. Fitted it all in mine.

Now when I press the phone button it says:

Handset in use

Mute and replace Handset to continue hands free calls,or replace handset to end call.

Has anyone seen this before or have I done something wrong.

Thanks in advance 

Dave