• Share Your Experience
      Share Your Experience
    • Save up to 15% off your Jaguar insurance!
      Save up to 15% off your Jaguar insurance!
    • Over 3000 Jaguar vehicles for sale
      Over 3000 Jaguar vehicles for sale
    • Club T-Shirts and Merchandise
      Club T-Shirts and Merchandise
    • Large Selection Of Jaguar Parts
      Large Selection Of Jaguar Parts
    • Join Premium And Save!
      Join Premium And Save!

AdBlock Warning

Parts of this website do not function properly with AdBlock enabled on your device. To get the best user experience on our website, please disable Adblock for this website (domain) on your browser.

R2e

Thinking of buying my first Jag, advice requested

R2e    38

Hi all,

After some 15 years owning Mercedes, C, E and ML models, (I tend to buy older cars and touch wood have always found them reliable, requiring little more than annual servicing and consumables like discs and pads, etc). The time has come for me to change my current vehicle, an ML (my wife has a bad back and finds it very difficult to get into) and a change being as good as a holiday, I'm considering an S Type, probably a V8 auto 2003 - 2005 with 60K-80K miles. My year selection represents the face lift model and prior to the road tax increase.  I nearly bought an S Type some years back but was frightened off by the reliability problems with the early models, which from what I read seems to be a thing of the past now. I do less than 5K miles per annum, most of it longer trips over 30 miles. I am open about buying trade or private, I am technically fairly literate and have over the (far too many!) years done many mechanical jobs people probably wouldn't think about doing now.

So the question is - Am I mad first of all? I don't think I am but if anyone knows, you will! Secondly what should I look out for when buying, are there any common problems which should be checked, for example where should I check for rust, or are there any funny noises or suspension knocks which could be expensive and so on? Should I be looking at the V6 instead (Fuel consumption is not a big issue for me)? Would an XJ 4.2 be a better bet?

Any advice or opinions would be gratefully received!

Ron

david moore    49

hi ron.... I own a 2.0d x type on a 54 plate and have owned it for nearly 6yrs. when I brought the car (private) it did have issues when I taken it for a test drive but got the owner to drop the price by £1000. after getting the car checked out and a full service with all repairs done it cost me £800, and since then I have been more than happy with my jag...but I now do a lot of work myself on the jag if possible. plus I'm learning all the time with the old girl. does around 50mpg+ on long journeys and around 40mpg local, don't have to worry about a DPF as its not got one, only catalytic converter.   hope someone else puts a post on about there car/jag with a different model so you get another opinion, good luck on finding your jag and take your time and choose wisely?  ...... dave

• Like 1

JOE-DOT-COM    212

Hi

if your looking at s-types, both engines are very good, I'd prefer the V8 myself, very smooth and reliable and its not much worse on fuel than the v6

as for V8's the 4.2's are the later much more sorted and very reliable engine

v6 are also good ford units and known reliable

as for what to look for, check every thing works, test every thing while your there works, it too late after, especially electrics

look for any service history and the only main cause for corrosion is sills and wheel arches, check the sill though a must, there hidden by plastic covers and can completely rot away, if the arches have corrosion and are bubbling then the sills will be bad.

cheers

Joe

• Like 1

Old Peter    639

Welcome to the club, Ron,

The s type is a great  car both to drive and for passengers.   You have already had some good points made for you, so I won't repeat them.

The car will drive well and all the three engine choices are all good and smooth.  The car is exceptionally comfortable, and the automatic gearbox lets you relax.  While being quite quick when needed, it cruises nicely at 70 mph on suitable roads.

You will certainly enjoy the experience.

Regards,

Peter.

• Like 1

R2e    38

Thanks all, sounds like I will be making a good decision to go for the S Type! I will probably go for the V8, but I'll be selling my own car privately first (hopefully) and will need to replace it fairly soon afterwards so it will depend on what is around at the time. With a bit of luck and a following wind it won't be long before I am seen more often on the forum!

Be very particular about the suspension as some of the bushes and ball-joints are not simple to change. My car is one of the last early ones and at 113k miles I'm looking at replacing most of them.

Check the spare wheel well for water or any signs of previously being damp. There are quite a few electrical bits and pieces in there and they don't like swimming!

• Like 1

R2e    38

Thanks Ralph, good advice. I'm hoping the later model with 80K or less won't need too many suspension changes, but I will check anyway. And damp is always the enemy of electrics, so the spare wheel well I wouldn't have thought of! I am capable of changing bushes and ball joints, but fortunately as increasing age makes that less pleasant (read more painful on the joints!) to do, I have a tame and very talented mechanic on call who will do such jobs for not a lot of money. He has looked after my various Mercs and my wife's Honda for many years.

JOE-DOT-COM    212

hi

Also have a look on "vehicle smart" app, you can bring up all the old mot history, to see its had no nasty fails in the past

its free and bring up all old mot history and mileage very useful tool when looking at cars

cheers

Joe

• Like 1

R2e    38
9 hours ago, JOE-DOT-COM said:

hi

Also have a look on "vehicle smart" app, you can bring up all the old mot history, to see its had no nasty fails in the past

its free and bring up all old mot history and mileage very useful tool when looking at cars

cheers

Joe

Thanks Joe, that's a very useful app! I wasn't aware you could get all this info on a prospective buy without paying for it.

Raistlin    245

It will also tell you whether the vehicle is SORNed or insured as well.

There's also these sites: https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history  and https://www.gov.uk/get-vehicle-information-from-dvla

I don't actually know how these compare to the app as I never seen it.

The suspension work I've done on my S-type so far justified getting a bearing press and were the most involved procedures of any car I've owned which has needed such work. Have a look at my profile for links to the threads I wrote about it.

R2e    38

That does look a complex suspension arm setup Ralph, and I love the home made press. I'm guessing you're like me and come from the good old days when you actually repaired things instead of just replacing parts! Though I must admit with increasing age I tend to leave it to my tame mechanic, even a simple job like changing disc pads which ten years ago I would have done myself.

The websites by the way provide much the same info as the app, but the app does present it more clearly.

Stephenk    2

We have had 2 x types, a 2.0 diesel and a 2.5 petrol. The 2.5 was great the AWD meant the road holding was superb. However I always felt there was a compromise, so last November I brought a low mileage 2007 XJ sovereign 3.0. I have never owned a car like it superb ride and comfort. The all aluminium body and air suspension. The X350 in my view has so many of the beautiful curves of the original XJ saloons. It is not the fastest of the lights but I never feel the need to race in it. The acceleration from 50 upwards is brilliant and on a motorway you get over 30 MPG. I have sometimes wondered if I should have hung out for a V8 but my cars condition Frost blue colour, low mileage, and top of the range spec make it a great choice. Don't compromise get an XJ. 

IMG_0420.JPG

• Like 1

R2e    38
4 minutes ago, Stephenk said:

We have had 2 x types, a 2.0 diesel and a 2.5 petrol. The 2.5 was great the AWD meant the road holding was superb. However I always felt there was a compromise, so last November I brought a low mileage 2007 XJ sovereign 3.0. I have never owned a car like it superb ride and comfort. The all aluminium body and air suspension. The X350 in my view has so many of the beautiful curves of the original XJ saloons. It is not the fastest of the lights but I never feel the need to race in it. The acceleration from 50 upwards is brilliant and on a motorway you get over 30 MPG. I have sometimes wondered if I should have hung out for a V8 but my cars condition Frost blue colour, low mileage, and top of the range spec make it a great choice. Don't compromise get an XJ. 

I did consider an XJ, I've liked them since the very first model which I had a short time with as a company car back in the 70's, but there was nothing much in my budget range and I've always fancied the S Type with its styling links to the Mk2, another Jag I had the pleasure of driving as my late Brother in law had one from new, pictured below with my new S which I bought last Wednesday and I am delighted with it!

IMG_2026.JPG

S-Type.jpg

Stephenk    2

Stunning look car , well done and hopefully it will give you years of happy motoring.

• Like 1