Coolant level low

180pete

Hi, first time posting, so it might not work, we'll see.  Anyway, months ago had to change the expansion tank, (bleed pipe part broke off)

got a genuine Jaguar tank, correct coolant to fill back up, new rubber pipe (that took several attempts to get right) now I get the message

'coolant level low' when it's hot after running for awhile (30mins or so) but the tank is full, tried undoing the bleed screw on top of the tank

but just coolant comes out, car is petrol 3.0 V6, 53 plate, any help would be great, thanks, pete

Hi Pete

although you have tried to bleed it, my gut still tells me maybe an air pocket is in there somewhere? I presume the warning was not present with your other header tank? this maybe stretching it a little, but a battery that's low on charge / knackered! can cause all sorts of probs, certainly on the 'S' types, I presume that could also apply to 'XJ's hopefully one of the guys can chip in with more help than I can offer

I will be watching :yes:

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve,

yes I'm thinking air lock somewhere as it doesn't come on straight away, as regards the battery, (which is the original one I think) you could be right,

I did read somewhere that a battery that's not in top nick can cause all sorts of strange things, and as I only use it mainly at weekends the battery sometimes

does seem to be a bit low, also I can't un-lock or lock with the key fob (which has new batteries in).  I'm not sure if there is a particular way to fill the system back

up, even though I only drained the bare minimum of coolant.  So if I have got an air lock what's the best way to shift it, I'm all ears!!!

Regards

pete

Hi Pete

many apologies for the delayed response, a potential client of mine has dropped an office move on me on Friday morning, with about 3 weeks to complete, so frantically trying to get stuff sorted my end! :wallbash: 

Anyhow, I'm absolutely staggered that if it is an original battery its still has enough Ummph! in it to turn her over, if so, then I would think, its time for a new one!! as a starter.

was the system drained completely when the new header tank was fitted? did you do it yourself or via a garage? if via a garage, then you need to take her back, if you did it yourself, I would suggest you take her to a garage, and have the coolant system drained and refilled. The remote locking could also be linked to a failing battery, no guarantees of course, but the omens seem to be pointing that way :yes: please remember, if you opt for a new battery, you most likely will need the radio code, and some of your optional settings will need to be re-programmed such as 1 touch up/down windows, drivers seat position (if you have memory fitted) and so on. I know nothing about XJ's, but the fact that your temp gauge is smack in the middle, seems to be a Good sign I would suggest.

please let us know what happens next

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve,

Yes I drained it myself, but only the bare minimum.  When I use the car regularly it turns over just fine, always starts first time, it's only if it's left for a short

while (week or two) it turns over a bit slower, but still starts first time.  I will get a new battery anyway, think 13 odd years is long enough in service.

Before I went away on Monday I had another look at it, took the tank cap off, put the heater control on max and fired it up, when it got hot the level

rose to the point it overflowed a bit, rev it up and the level would go down, squeezed the top hose a few times and some more would come out, repeated

this a few times, put the cap back on then went for a blast down the bypass, got back home and checked the level which was fine, so went away on our jollies,

did around 100 miles made up of motorways and towns before the 'low coolant fluid' came on, checked level when cold next day and it was still fine, used it all week,

came home and it has not come again at all, so maybe, just maybe the air lock has worked it's way out, we'll see, many thanks for all your input and if it raises its 

ugly little head again I'll let you know.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Join The Club

Join the Jaguar Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

• Topics

• Our picks

• Simply Jaguar show at Beaulieu - Sunday 23rd June 2024
      Jaguar Owners Club have a stand at this year's Simply Jaguar event at the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, Hampshire on Sunday 23rd June 2024

Tickets are available online here: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar/
      • 1 reply
    • JAGUAR’S LAST PETROL SPORTS CAR: F-TYPE ZP EDITION TAKES THE CHEQUERED FLAG
      Jaguar is commemorating the end of its internal combustion sports car lineage in 2024 with an exclusive limited-edition F-TYPE inspired by two iconic 1960s racing E-types

Just 150 examples of the F-TYPE ZP Edition will be the last internal combustion-engined sports cars designed by Jaguar. These 575PS supercharged petrol V8 F-TYPEs feature specially curated interior and exterior details by the personalisation experts at SV Bespoke.
    • UPDATE SHOW INFORMATION !

Please find attached your club label – please can this be distributed amongst your club members prior to the event. Please ensure that they print this label and display it in their windscreen upon entry to the event, this ensures that all members wishing to park within your club area are directed to the correct parking location by our stewards. Please do not modify or add logos to the club label.

We do ask that all individuals have purchased their tickets on an individual basis in advance via our website, to speed up the entry process on the day. This can be done on our website here until 2pm on the day when admission closes: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar.

Note that we do have two entrances available, one is exhibitors gate at the bottom of the hill as you come in to Beaulieu, with the other being the normal Simply event entrance within the attraction. Either entrance is fine to use and both are open from 9.00am, with the exhibitors entrance closing around 11am.

Jaguar Owners Club (1).pdf
    • Simply Jaguar - Beaulieu Motor Museum - 25th June 2023
      Jaguar Owners Club have a stand at this years Simply Jaguar event at the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, Hampshire on Sunday 26th June 2023

Tickets are available online here: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar/

TICKETS & PRICES
      Participant prices are only valid if arriving in a Jaguar and taking part in the rally. They are not valid for those arriving on foot.

Participants can make the most of our EARLY BIRD discount by booking before 28th February 2023.

Children under 5 require a ticket, this can be booked online free of charge.

Participant and visitor tickets will include entrance to the rest of the Beaulieu attraction, including the National Motor Museum, Palace House, Little Beaulieu, World of Top Gear, Beaulieu Abbey and its grounds and gardens.

The best time for viewing the Simply rally is between 10am and 2pm.

Adult

Child

Participants – Early Bird*

£14.00

£7.50

Participants – Standard & On The Day

£16.00

£8.00

Visitors

Normal admission applies.

Normal admission applies

*Early bird tickets are available until 28th February 2023

VEHICLE ENTRY
      Entry with your Jaguar is from 9am – 2pm. Please make sure you have your ticket printed or available on your phone, ready to be scanned on arrival.

Please do not arrive early for our Simply rallies as no facilities will be open prior to 9:30am.

Cars cannot leave and re-enter the grounds for the Simply rallies.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

CLUB STAND ATTENDEE LIST

We do ask for a final update on numbers 2 weeks prior to the event following which we will send out club labels to you via email for you to then distribute out to club members. Club members then need to print and display these in their windscreen on arrival. This helps us then park you all in your club area together.

1. Trevor (admin)
      2.  Paj

• 5 replies
    • F-TYPE marks 75 years of Jaguar sports cars and its final model year update
      The Jaguar F-TYPE is the definitive Jaguar sports car from a rich bloodline spanning 75 years and including some of the most iconic models ever built

Forums

News

Membership