• Large Selection Of Jaguar Parts
      Large Selection Of Jaguar Parts
    • Save up to 15% off your Jaguar insurance!
      Save up to 15% off your Jaguar insurance!
    • Club T-Shirts and Merchandise
      Club T-Shirts and Merchandise
    • Join Premium And Save!
      Join Premium And Save!
    • Share Your Experience
      Share Your Experience
    • Over 3000 Jaguar vehicles for sale
      Over 3000 Jaguar vehicles for sale

I'm considering upgrading the dipped beams on my S Type and I wonder if anyone else has done this. It is currently fitted with "Halfords Xenon HID Style bulbs" (ie halogen by any other name with blue tinted glass around the filament!). My first thought was an HID kit, I've done that on previous vehicles, however I discovered there are now LED H7 replacements which seem to carry a number of benefits such as plug and play, long life, decent warranty and so on and a price less than replacing the two Halfords halogen bulbs. However it seems to be a bit of a gamble with a lot of decidedly dodgy suppliers jumping on the bandwagon (Amazon alone have pages of H7 LED bulbs and the reviews are very mixed), so I wondered if anyone had done this and whether it was worthwhile.

Hello Ron, we did exactly that on our S; despite it's a'07 the standard dips did seem not so good.      We fitted a pair of Halfords 477 H7 130% brighter bulbs (using our JOC discount card, of course!) and the difference was amazing.      You are right about the on-line "copies"......a friend fitted two which lasted less than a fortnight, one melting!

Just a thought.......how are your headlight lenses? The S lenses have a habit of becoming discoloured/opaque; ours weren't too bad but a good go with a Mequairs Headlight Polishing Kit reaped great rewards.  Just be careful to mask up well and avoid splatter!  (See instructions on box).

Good luck, and as always, happy growling

Headlamp lenses are good Carole, very clear, the previous owner(s) really looked after this car, I keep finding evidence of this Jag having been cherished. I really fancy the LED bulbs, they are reputed to give 300%+ more light and my old eyes need all the help they can get at night! I'm considering these, or similar, 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N5Y7RIH/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=16LYVY6HW9PGS&coliid=I1RHASP28FJDC3&psc=1

They don't have a lot of reviews but they are all good. I've contacted the seller to advise if they will fit the Jag. At £36 they are probably worth the experiment anyway.

• Like 1

If you go ahead, my partner says let us (or the forum!) know how you get on.    Certainly looks interesting on the link.

We definitely don't need an upgrade on our XK.....hasn't yet been out after dark, except 15 months ago when we drove her up from South Wales on day one of our ownership!

Always good when it is apparent that previous owners have been on the ball; our '07 XK had only covered 6600 miles when we bought her in April last year, so had spent most of her life standing still, whilst our '07 S was originally the Jaguar Mayfair showroom car, then one local owner until we bought her in July last year.  In both cases, cherished was the key word.

With regard to the bulbs.........hope the future is bright. Doh.

:whistling:

Thanks Carole, I already have the orange indicator lights so the future is blinking orange and very bright! I am sadly aware that although summer is upon us, it is in the nature of things that a few months away, should I survive that long, is winter with perpetual darkness so I wish to be prepared. Unless I hear something terrible to the contrary on here I will probably try the LED bulbs and will definitely report back at the appropriate time.

My S Type has a plethora of chrome add ons I have started to realise and many extras, including an R Type spoiler (why?) and the rear lamps look brand new. I also have the benefit of the leaper (the proper spring loaded one) which I confess I would not have fitted myself, but as an indicator to pointing the bonnet in the correct direction, it is peerless and very pleasant to see in its place. Definitely puts me in mind of my late Brother in Law's Mk 2 (which he owned from new in 1965 until his death a year ago) where the leaper also pointed the way, although the driving experience was not so pleasant with extremely heavy steering and a manual gearchange and clutch which would have been considered painfully agricultural even on a Massey Ferguson... Mind you am I the only one left who remembers the pleasure of the clutchless gearchange, where a pause on downchange, or a throttle blip on upchange would give a satisfying result without grinding sounds?

Hi Ron

Personally I'd fit with the hid bulbs, used them in a few cars and there really bright

but you will get a few people saying, there too bright and illegal, but any bulb fitted that's over 4200k, is officially illegal, which means any bulb you fit will be illegal, thats brighter in any way.

but saying that, every hid bulb I've fitted has always past mot and the beam pattern has not been altered and I've never been stopped

the LED ones sound interesting, when you get them, post some pics up of the bulbs and some before and after of the lights working

cheers

Joe

• Like 1

My S-type came with an after-market HID kit for the low beams. One of them was unreliable and would flicker on and off over bumps. It was something inside the ballast and I couldn't be bothered to drill it open so just fitted normal bulbs, I'm quite happy with them. Having different coloured light from low to main beam really bothers me anyway. I reckon they're now some of the best lights I've ever had. The working HID kit is currently being turned into the mother of all torches.

I don't know if this is an issue with our Jaguars or with any modern cars in fact but; There can be quite a drop in power in the lighting circuit on some cars. My VW was terrible for this and only managed 10v at the bulb on a good night. In fact I took my old Land Rover out one dark evening after not driving it for a long time and was just marvelling at how good the main beam was when I went over a big bump and the drivers side one came on, even with just one main beam filament running it blew the VW away. Anyway, I fixed the VW with relays fed direct from the battery and switched by the original circuit, just how you'd wire up extra fog or driving lights but minus the switch. Of course this is only any good if the S-type has a poor circuit as standard. I wouldn't know as I've never had reason to test it but I think it would be worth checking.

5 hours ago, R2e said:

Mind you am I the only one left who remembers the pleasure of the clutchless gearchange, where a pause on downchange, or a throttle blip on upchange would give a satisfying result without grinding sounds?

I once had a Skoda Estelle with no clutch. It's the only car I've ever had stolen, they didn't get very far before putting it into hedge though.

In a mood of whisky fuelled optimism last night, and buoyed up by the fact that the Jag came in very much below budget, I went ahead and ordered the LEDs. Thanks to Amazon Prime they should be with me by Monday, and at least if there is any problem with them, returning and getting a refund from Amazon is fairly simple. Pics and review will follow in due course when I get time to fit them.

Good luck with the lights, Ron.

With regard to add-ons, my partner and I are very much in the "as it left the factory" mould.    As with everything, it comes down to a matter of personal choice, and what is right for one may not be so for another.     For us, though, if it didn't leave the factory with it then it doesn't get it added on.    There can be exceptions, such as the topic which this thread is about, if its something which improves safety/performance but, for us, doesn't alter the appearance.        Consequently, although we should be overjoyed to be "following" the leaper if we owned a Mk2 or 240/340 which had it as standard, it wasn't on either our S or XK originally, so t doesn't get added.          Must admit we were a bit puzzled at the add-on rear spoiler you mentioned, but we suppose that it may have worked for the previous owner.            

If we managed to become the owners of a nice Mk2 or 240/340, we should probably convert to power steering, and similarly if we had a MkVII VIII or IX we should probably go for a dual-line braking system with servo; updates which aren't visually apparent but enhance performance considerably.         On a slightly different angle, we went to a Classic auction recently and came across a beautiful looking 1936 Jaguar SS saloon (as mentioned in another thread on the Forum).  Imagine our surprise when we lifted the centre-hinged bonnet to discover a Ford "Kent" Crossflow nestling there complete with bunch of bananas manifold!!     Definitely a step too far!

On the topic of clutchless changes, my partner is in full agreement!  He says that, in the day, he regularly came across totally non-synchromesh boxes where double de-clutching was the only option (very satisfying if done correctly) and also remembers owning a Renault 10 where the clutch cable brackets fractured resulting in no clutch operation.   For almost 3 weeks he went hither and thither, starting off by engaging gear then turning the key and "catching" the turnover, thus forward motion achieved, every gearchange totally clutchless, and when stopping, just allowing it to stall.   Seemples!

Back to the Mk2.....we'd love one and do, in fact, actually prefer the slim-line bumper look of the later 240/340 over the more robust Mk2 bumpers.     With chrome wire-wheels, of course!   There are a few other differences, such as the 240/340 has Ambla leather trim rather than Connolly, no picnic tables (but then we tend not to drive from the back!)  and so on.   Big advantage is that the 240/340 are usually considerably cheaper than the original Mk2 (particularly the 3.8 version).      Bet they'd all be fine with LED headlights!!

As always, happy growling

:tabletalk:

I tend to agree Carole, I wouldn't have fitted a leaper if the car hadn't come with one, nor am I one to fit chrome surrounds to lights, etc, as has been done to mine though it does indicate a previous owner who has loved this car. My mods are all, either adding an extra which was not fitted to my car, such as rear reversing sensors on my Merc C Class, or as you suggest, anything that improves safety, driveability, etc.  I also tend to replace the unnecessary cigarette lighter with a USB outlet, I will probably do this to the Jag when the mood takes me. The pic below is this fitted to my last car, a Merc ML350, doing this rather than using a plug in adaptor allows the ashtray to close as normal and avoids having to remove the adaptor and losing it under the seat when you're rushing to catch a plane and need to take the adaptor and satnav to use in a hire car at your destination (don't ask how I know that!)

IMG_0273.thumb.JPG.a2af5b378dfcd931e6a4d9e4812fde86.JPG

• Like 1

We like that idea for our S.     On occasions, we use a dashcam but run it off its built-in battery....which doesn't last long.    Don't like running around with the ashtray open so shall investigate that little gizmo!

By the way, we didn't bid on that SS!

As always, happy growling  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Carole Simpson-Hadley said:

We like that idea for our S.     On occasions, we use a dashcam but run it off its built-in battery....which doesn't last long.    Don't like running around with the ashtray open so shall investigate that little gizmo!

By the way, we didn't bid on that SS!

As always, happy growling  :thumbsup:

Hi

I fitted a extra double accessory socket in my glove box, handy for charging mobile phone and also a dash cam

dash cam fits quite neatly, up by my rear view mirror, wire just tucks in easy around windscreen trim down to glove box and plug in inside, all out of sight,

cheers

Joe

ScreenShot015.jpg

I got Halfords to hard wire a dash cam for me, they did a good job I'm glad to say. I've done it myself in the past but with the JOC discount I thought I'd let them take the pain!

Wise move not to bid on the SS I think, finding an original SS engine nowadays would be like searching for the proverbial hens' teeth :wallbash:

On the USB connector, this was the one I used (the cover is detachable) 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hakkain-Portable-Waterproof-Motorcycle-Cigarette/dp/B017EKE6O4/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1500803783&sr=1-1&keywords=usb+car+boat+socket

I'm not sure that the Jag lighter has sufficient room, I may have to look at other options

I may well go down that route Joe, the 12v socket in the console under the armrest is very badly placed in my opinion and I can't see myself ever using it. The beauty of replacing the lighter with a USB socket is the 12V switched supply is already there to hand so the wiring is simple and doesn't need routing.

Despite having Satnav, I still tend to use my TomTom thus one requirement for USB, I have all my common destinations loaded both in the UK and abroad, it has real time traffic info and can reroute me around areas of delay, and acts as a hands free for my phone, not to mention warning me of speed cameras (not that I speed, perish the thought :whistling1: )

Thank you both, Joe andRon.....that will sort us out nicely. Shall also look at a (not too apparent) set up for our XK as well.  Somehow, we don't seem to suffer from the attentions of the boy-racers but the odd BMW can be a tad tiresome. We don't play!

Ron, you're right about the SS. It also had a matching Ford bell-housing and gearbox.   The bodywork/trim/chrome/fittings were excellent, but the fitting of the Ford power unit etc was reflected in the hammer price of £27500 including buyers' premium.......way below what an original spec SS would fetch.    We think it had been a part-time wedding car and thus the mods were for reliability.      We shan't be fitting that spare Reliant Robin engine in our XK!!!!

As always, happy growling  :thumbup:

Carole, the SS puts me in mind of a guy I knew in Zambia in the late 60s, he had a Ferrari (no idea what model) which he had bought relatively cheap with a blown engine intending to overhaul the engine (he was a mechanic). That was until he found out the prices of Ferrari parts! He would save up for months, then order one piston, then start saving again. In the meantime he fitted a Ford Zephyr 4 engine and gearbox which was so ridiculous it was funny, and he used it as his daily driver. I knew him for about three years, we were both members of the local car club, during which he made very little progress in getting all the engine bits together. I do hope he has succeeded since, though if he is still alive he'll be about 90 now!

I guess the SS would make a great wedding car, probably much in demand, and at the cost of a new Mondeo, it's not a huge amount of money as long as you didn't intend a full original restoration.

• Like 1

Love that story.......talk about a Ferrari not sounding quite right!      We are also quietly amused by how we managed to get the thread from LED  headlights to Ferraris with Ford engines!  As Miranda's mum would say "such fun".

Going full circle, your V8 S looks splendid and we are sure it turns heads, as does our Seafrost S.

Suppose the SS is ideal for weddings; at the same auction there was a lovely Mk V, also in Olde English White but we were put off by a certain amount of micro-blistering on the paint.  Anyway, on both, no seatbelts, rod-operated brakes and semaphore indicators made us think that modern motoring could be a tad uncomfortable.

Whatever, enjoy that V8 S and the existence of the permanent Jaguar grin, and once again thanks for the steer on the USB device

As always, happy growling; must attend to partner, he appears to be scanning the Mk2/240 ads and auction lists again!   :no:

I'm a little confused with regards to converting headlights to either HID or LED as surely both these conversions throw out a non-compliant beam pattern and as such, would fail any MOT not to mention, attract the attention of P.C.Plod.

Clarification please!

Martyn

Hi

Ive fitted hid's bulbs to quite a few cars, none of them have altered the beam pattern and every one has sailed through MOT's and I never been stopped by the police and I have followed quite a few

its a myth, people see bright blinding headlights and assume cheap Hid bulbs, when there not, its just a poorly setup headlight, a correct set hid bulb in a headlight, works much better, much brighter and use less current, so less load on the battery.

if you change the headlight bulb from the standard bulb, then its actually not officially legal, any bulb brighter than 4200k is not legal, but Ive never know any fail a mot

so thats every type of bulb that says brighter from say Halfords for headlights

cheers

Joe

A bulb is simply a light source, normally non directional, which is projected by the reflector and any lens fitted to the front of the headlight. In theory therefore the light pattern should not be any different despite the type of light source be it halogen, HID or LED. I have fitted HID in place of halogen in previous vehicles and never had any problem with MOT, I expect no difference with LED bulbs, though as they are a direct replacement which can be changed in a matter of minutes, I am not in the slightest concerned. I am more concerned with the safety aspects and better vision. If I dazzle oncoming traffic, I will revert.

• Like 1

That is a very interesting point you have made - thanks very much

Martyn