Engine Temperature Warning

Imp566

Looking for a bit of informed advice if anyone can help?

Out driving yesterday, all was normal until I joined the dual carriageway and accelerated up towards 70 mph.  As I approached this speed, the engine temperature warning light came on and the temperature gauge needle shot up to the red zone.  I immediately decelerated and went to pull over, to find that when I got back to 55 mph, the warning light went off and the gauge stabilised in the normal position.  I pulled over at the next lay by and checked all the usual things (hoses, water expansion tank, Oil, radiator) for leaks and capacities to find no issues at all.  I continued my journey and all was well for about 15 miles until I tested it out again by accelerating up towards 70, where the same thing happened, followed by the return to normal when I decelerated.  This happened twice more on more journey under the same circumstances.

On arrival at my destination (60 miles from home), I called the RAC for advice as I am a member.  Their technical geek on the phone advised that it sounded like a water pump issue, that being that the pump would have to work harder at higher revs to pump the coolant around, but could obviously manage at lower speeds.  However, they wouldn't be able to fix it at the roadside (obviously), so would recover me home, advising me not to drive it any further than I needed to - or do so at my own risk.

I called the local garage this morning who service the car (not a Jag dealership).  Thoughts revolved around the "possibility" of a faulty water pump, although he pretty much dismissed this as it would either work or it wouldn't, in his opinion the speed of the car wouldn't be a factor.  Possible thermostat sticking issue, although again he thought that unlikely.  His other suggestion was that the radiator could be clogged up with solidified, corroded coolant, reducing the ability for the coolant to be circulated completely around the engine.  Typically being summer, his books are full for the next week or so, he can't fit me in until middle of next week.

When I asked about driving it until then, he said it shouldn't be a problem at speeds where the temperature remained "normal".

I would much appreciate it if anyone is able to offer me any advice or share similar issues?  Can anyone confirm (or rubbish!) the advice i have been given already?  I really don't need a big bill for this at the moment (it's a ten year old diesel, with PLENTY on the clock!  It could be "cut your losses" time, much as i enjoy driving it!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Play it safe and replace your water pump and thermostat. 'Comeline' sell the pump and gasket for £20ish and thermostat is around £30-70 depending on brand. A belt for the pump is £5. Both very easy jobs so should be a low labour charge. I would say 1 hours work. 

Hi

I use a bluetooth OBD adapter, with a app like Torque

the temp gauge on the S-type and the X-type is not directly linked to the engine temperature

as long as the temp is with a certain band then it will stay in the normal zone on the gauge

when you monitor the actual engine temp sensor, it can alter quite a bit but the temp gauge stays normal

so if you had a bad connection on the temp sensor, this could cause the gauge to go overtemp

also you can put the S-type and X-type dash in diagnostics mode, and monitor the coolant temp directly

have a look here http://www.bluejag.co.uk/X-Type Instrument-cluster-diagnostics.php

cheers

Joe

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Join The Club

Join the Jaguar Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

• Topics

• Our picks

• Simply Jaguar show at Beaulieu - Sunday 23rd June 2024
      Jaguar Owners Club have a stand at this year's Simply Jaguar event at the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, Hampshire on Sunday 23rd June 2024

Tickets are available online here: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar/
      • 1 reply
    • JAGUAR’S LAST PETROL SPORTS CAR: F-TYPE ZP EDITION TAKES THE CHEQUERED FLAG
      Jaguar is commemorating the end of its internal combustion sports car lineage in 2024 with an exclusive limited-edition F-TYPE inspired by two iconic 1960s racing E-types

Just 150 examples of the F-TYPE ZP Edition will be the last internal combustion-engined sports cars designed by Jaguar. These 575PS supercharged petrol V8 F-TYPEs feature specially curated interior and exterior details by the personalisation experts at SV Bespoke.
    • UPDATE SHOW INFORMATION !

Please find attached your club label – please can this be distributed amongst your club members prior to the event. Please ensure that they print this label and display it in their windscreen upon entry to the event, this ensures that all members wishing to park within your club area are directed to the correct parking location by our stewards. Please do not modify or add logos to the club label.

We do ask that all individuals have purchased their tickets on an individual basis in advance via our website, to speed up the entry process on the day. This can be done on our website here until 2pm on the day when admission closes: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar.

Note that we do have two entrances available, one is exhibitors gate at the bottom of the hill as you come in to Beaulieu, with the other being the normal Simply event entrance within the attraction. Either entrance is fine to use and both are open from 9.00am, with the exhibitors entrance closing around 11am.

Jaguar Owners Club (1).pdf
    • Simply Jaguar - Beaulieu Motor Museum - 25th June 2023
      Jaguar Owners Club have a stand at this years Simply Jaguar event at the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, Hampshire on Sunday 26th June 2023

Tickets are available online here: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar/

TICKETS & PRICES
      Participant prices are only valid if arriving in a Jaguar and taking part in the rally. They are not valid for those arriving on foot.

Participants can make the most of our EARLY BIRD discount by booking before 28th February 2023.

Children under 5 require a ticket, this can be booked online free of charge.

Participant and visitor tickets will include entrance to the rest of the Beaulieu attraction, including the National Motor Museum, Palace House, Little Beaulieu, World of Top Gear, Beaulieu Abbey and its grounds and gardens.

The best time for viewing the Simply rally is between 10am and 2pm.

Adult

Child

Participants – Early Bird*

£14.00

£7.50

Participants – Standard & On The Day

£16.00

£8.00

Visitors

Normal admission applies.

Normal admission applies

*Early bird tickets are available until 28th February 2023

VEHICLE ENTRY
      Entry with your Jaguar is from 9am – 2pm. Please make sure you have your ticket printed or available on your phone, ready to be scanned on arrival.

Please do not arrive early for our Simply rallies as no facilities will be open prior to 9:30am.

Cars cannot leave and re-enter the grounds for the Simply rallies.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

CLUB STAND ATTENDEE LIST

We do ask for a final update on numbers 2 weeks prior to the event following which we will send out club labels to you via email for you to then distribute out to club members. Club members then need to print and display these in their windscreen on arrival. This helps us then park you all in your club area together.

1. Trevor (admin)
      2.  Paj

• 5 replies
    • F-TYPE marks 75 years of Jaguar sports cars and its final model year update
      The Jaguar F-TYPE is the definitive Jaguar sports car from a rich bloodline spanning 75 years and including some of the most iconic models ever built

Forums

News

Membership