Great day with an on form S Type

Styperman

I notice that a lot folk use the forum for when things go wrong with their cars. I'd like to share a story of things going right, especially after last weeks shenanigans!.  Granted, I'm still a relatively new S Type driver and I am probably still going the through the 'honeymoon' period with it, but today, I had an exhilarating day with my S Type.

Mine is only the 2.5 auto, the slowest one of the clan.  But for the last 20 years all I've driven is four pot turbo diesels.  Today was a trip from Preston to Porthmadog and return.  It was an early start so the roads were relatively clear. The cruise down the M6 and M56 was absolutely effortless.  I've not experienced a car so refined.  The ride is superb. Just mild wind/road noise at the in the background of our general conversation.  My co pilot also commented on how comfy the seats were.

Instead of doing the normal A55 route.  I opted for a cross country route using Mold, Ruthin, Capel Celyn and Trawsfynydd and Maentrog.  I must admit, I stuck into sports mode on the bendy bits round Afon Tryweryn Lake/reservoir.  It came in handy overtaking three cars stuck together not daring to venture beyond 50 mph.  It was quick to kickdown and acceleration surprisng!. A more potent S Type must be distinctly rapid!.   Its high speed cornering ability really did impress. Steering it was most enjoyable!.  Using the car's power as opposed to noticing torque was a refreshing change too.  We arrived as fresh as we set off 2 and a half hours before!.  

The run back was in heavier traffic and we followed the main A5 A55 M56 route back but still a relative pleasure. The vast majority of time, the cruise was set to 70. There was the odd burst up to an indicated 80 but not often.  

Over the 286 miles, the computer showed we had averaged 52 mph. The mpg reading was 32. And there is still a smidge under a third of a tank still left.  Because of the smiles is gave me, I can forgive its economy. And to be honest, I think it could be a lot worse as  my Tourneo Custom TCDI only gets about Feel free to post your instances of your S Type putting a smile on your face. It'll make a change from hearing about them causing problems!.  

I know there will be a time when I will need help of the forum but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it!!.

• Like 1

Hi Matthew, 

You are quite correct, and the club is really about sharing experiences, good or bad, although many members only mention the bad experiences.  Having been on the road for 60 years and having driven many brands of car I have come across load of issues, but I do prefer sharing the more pleasant one.  As they say "Even the bad time are good'.

Peter.

On 8.10.2017 at 12:10 AM, Styperman said:

Its high speed cornering ability really did impress. Steering it was most enjoyable!. 

I don't remember who it was, but someone called it chuckable, and I can testify to that. Narrow, curvy mountain roads are a pleasure to behold in the S-Type. It's my fear that sets the limit, not the car's abilities. So far. But ask me in a year. :twisted1:

We've had ours for some weeks now, and it still makes us very, very happy to drive it.

I am finding excuses to go to London (From the Isle of Wight) just to drive my S type. Mine is a 2001 3.0 Litre and is just so good on an A Road, a motorway, a B Road..anywhere really. I love this car. Glad you do too. People do not know what they are missing. Especially a friend of mine who constantly refers to it as a "Ford Jaguar"...Enjoy!

Really nice post that Matthew, so glad you're enjoying the car and impressive MPG, you're preaching to the converted obviously, and like many of us, I see a long journey in the S-Type as an opportunity rather than a chore :yes:.

Might have been me that describe my Sport as 'chuckable' Knut Are, I had some questionable tyres on when I bought her, but after changing these and bringing the suspension up to standard, it was nothing sure of a revelation. Like Jim, I'm on the Isle of Wight and we have no shortage of twisty B roads here. The Jag copes well with them but is arguably even better on a more expansive road where she has a chance to carry a bit speed through the corners and power out the other side :whistling1:.

While you never forget her weight, she's a sports saloon rather than a sportscar, in the mould of the MK2 and 60's S-Type. But mine is composed and grippy through the corners, and stops well too with new rubber all round and new brakes. An extremely capable car IMO, and if you work on her yourself, you can appreciate the engineering is a cut above what you'll see on more humble cars. Cast alloy double wishbone suspension as opposed to some pressed steel offering is part of the reason why she does handle so well, despite the weight.

Your friend may have a point with the Ford Jaguar moniker Jim, as Jaguar was owned by Ford at the time and she's built on a Ford / Lincoln floorpan. But suspension is Jaguar as is the VVT on the already very capable Ford bottom end,  making the engine into a Jaguar specific AJ-V6 power plant. But don't accept anyone saying she's an uprated Mondeo. Not that there's anything much wrong with this, but it's the X-Type and the Mondeo which share common ancestry, and not our larger and longitudinal engined, rear drive S-Types.

Happy driving :wink1:

3 hours ago, Russ68 said:

"Might have been me that describe my Sport as 'chuckable'"

In my teenage years I knocked about with a mate who's first car was a Mini (An Austin, not the trades description one).  And being a teenager he used to drive it everywhere full tilt.  A new 40 mph bypass opened where we lived and it had a series of fairly tight roundabouts.  My mate used to like chucking his Mini through these roundabouts without any reduction in speed or touching of brakes.  It was a case of dropping it in 3rd and powering round with the throttle wide open and a quick right left flick on the steering wheel and round we would go with the speedo needle stuck to 40mph.  In the process, quite a large gap would open up between us and the more exotic car pursuing car (Manta, BX GTi, Passat GL5, MG Montego and the like).  

Since then, I've regarded this series of round about as a good test of a car handling. And yes I have matched and even slightly exceeded the speed at which the Mini could get round them in my much bigger S Type.  In fact it stays unruffled doing it, unlike my passenger did.  I was surprised that theres not even been a hint of tyre squeal.  

So yes, I agree that they are indeed chuckable and can change direction with aplomb!.

Hi - I a newbie from Kent  and a “gentleman” of some summers . I am currently on my sixth Jaguar and my second S type.In between I have been fortunate to have had a number of Mercedes and Range Rovers  and yet I have returned to the S type 3.00 petrol automatic. I’m also smiling. 

Welcome aboard John Derek, you are obviously a man of some taste :wink1:

And sounds like similar Mini experiences 'back in the day' Matthew, I honed my skills in a Mini and have found them largely transferable to other cars. If my 17 year old me could've seen into the future, or even into the drivers seat of my S-Type, I'd imagine he'd / I'd be pretty impressed with it :yes:

• 2 weeks later...

Seems that most of us are relative new comers to the forum and yes its true that all too often we are grousing about something thats gone wrong but hey, with the exception of the Soup Dragon we are all Brits and if we're not grumbling about the weather then complaining about our cars is perhaps the next best / safest topic (God forbid I should moan about the wife - she would probably find it and my life expectancy would be shortened drastically).

However, whenever you see a Jag on the road you will always notice a smile behind the wheel as well. The reasons for the smile being: -

1. The shear fun of driving a Jag, whatever the marque.:yahoo:

2. Smug satisfaction that so many other drivers :wallbash:are not driving a Jag.

Cheers all and hope you are all smiling too.