Faulty Windiscreen washer pump

Koicustody

Views sought please.

I bought my 2011 XF two years ago, second hand from the original owner. It had full Jaguar service history and covered 46,600 miles. I have it serviced by my local idenpendent garage.

In August my instrument panel informed me I had a problem with my emergency parking brake, although the car drove well and behaved otherwise well. I placed it with my local garage, (with excellent reputation and services some very prestigious cars). They were unable to identify the fault and the car was taken to the local Jaguar dealership. 

It transpires the fault is due to the windscreen washer pump breaking, the water reservoir leaking into the wiring harness and making its way to a junction box where it shorts out and corrodes various pins requiring a new junction box, pump of course, and modification to the wiring harness.

Now the fault is a known one to Jaguar and is subject to a jaguar technical bulletin JTB00377V3. This bulletin, I believe version 3, gives a step by step guide to dealers on how to fix the fault.

I wrote to jaguar, suggesting this was a design fault and asked for some compensation towards the £1500 bill. Cutting to the chase, they were not interested at all. They claimed that any manufacturing fault should have been apparent during the warranty period and that they consider the age and mileage of the car (58,800). Also they look at brand loyalty and they seek to have a consistent approach.

Now I have never experienced such a problem before however consider they are giving very poor service here. I agree with them that there is no manufacturing fault. It is a design issue. The fact they have needed to modify the wiring harness to prevent such a problem again shows this to be the case.

I don’t know what experience others jaguar owners have with regard to this, or other faults, so do not know whether I am being treated in accordance with their claimed consistent approach.

Certainly  I don’t have the car serviced by a jaguar dealership so understand that as they are not making money directly from me their view appears to be ‘stuff you’ as you are not loyal.

Now I fully appreciate that a windscreen washer pump may break and I would expect to pay for the repair. I would not expect such breakage to cause hundreds of pounds of damage to other parts of the car though. I have spoken to people who work for jaguar now, and retired persons and also with people who work closely with jaguar (I live close to Coventry). They are most surprised that jaguar have taken no responsibility for this fault at all. I have also spoken to a retired, senior director with another car manufacturer who also think jaguar are awful in this matter.

So........... the question is what experience do other members have with regard to this problem in particular and other problems generally. I do know this fault was apparent in 2014, well within the time frame my car was serviced by jaguar.

• 1 month later...

HI DUNCAN, I ALSO HAVE JUST BOUGHT A 2011 NONE FACE LIFT Jaguar XF PREMIUM IHAVE HAD IT TWO WEEKS AND NOTICED THAT WHEN I USED THE wiper WASHER THAT WATER WAS COMING FROM INSIDE THE WHEEL ARCH COVER, SO I TOOK IT TO MY LOCAL GARAGE AND THEY HAD A LOOK, HE SAID THE TOP OF THE PUMP WAS LEAKING AND REPLACED IT WITH ANOTHER AFTERMARKET ONE BUT SAID IT WOULD HAVE CAUSED LOTS OF ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS AS IT WAS GOING OVER THE WIRE,S SO LUCKY FOR ME I SEEN IT , I HAVE 18 MONTHS WARRANTY BUT DONT THINK THIS WOULD HAVE BEEN COVERED ANYWAY, HE ONLY CHARGED ME £40 FOR DOING THE JOB I COULD HAVE DO IT MYSELF BUT DID NOT HAVE THE TIME .I AV HEARD THAT THE XF SUFFERS A HOST OF FAULTS JUST HOPE I DONT GOOD LUCK WITH THE REST OF YOUR CAR DAVE:xmas:

Hi Dave,

great to hear you spotted the leak leak from your washer pump quickly. At £40 you got away with it very light,y. Pleased for you.

speaking with my local reputable garage owner yesterday, also a friend, who told me he has had two xf’s in recently with ‘battery not charging’ warning message, (or similar). He discovered a problem with the cable for the battery monitoring pack, as it comes into the boot from under the car. Corroded and he needed to repair and clean up the location as it comes inside. Sorry I can’t be more specific than that but mine is going in to ha e a look before a fault actually developes.

Bless you

Duncan

• 2 years later...

Didnt know about this fault but I found out today £1400 to repair damage by water ingress on my Jaguar xf. I totally agree about the design fault and was very dissapointed with the attitude of Jaguar regarding this. My claim is on going but dont ho,d out much hope. Jaguar have known about this issue for a very long time but putting their heads in the sand.  Engineer knew what the problem was before any diagnostics were carried out. Obviously not the first time he'd come across it. love my xf and have had good service from the jaguar dealership but think Jaguars attitude is so irresponsible. Extremely disappointing. 

• 1 year later...

I bought a 2012 Jag XF in 2014 from a local Jaguar garage and for the first 4-5 years it didn’t need much work.  In the last 2 years I have spent over £3,500 on things which have gone wrong on the Jag.  Recently had a warning about the handbrake park, took it into the Jaguar garage.  They have found that the water from the windscreen washer has leaked into the fuse box causing £1,500 worth of damage. I loved the XF but am now having second thoughts about buying another Jaguar.

This problem does not appear to be an isolated incident with the XF and being such a prestige car, Jaguar should have done something about this as they are obviously aware of the design fault.

37 minutes ago, Jagxf2012 said:

I bought a 2012 Jag XF in 2014 from a local Jaguar garage and for the first 4-5 years it didn’t need much work.  In the last 2 years I have spent over £3,500 on things which have gone wrong on the Jag.  Recently had a warning about the handbrake park, took it into the Jaguar garage.  They have found that the water from the windscreen washer has leaked into the fuse box causing £1,500 worth of damage. I loved the XF but am now having second thoughts about buying another Jaguar.

This problem does not appear to be an isolated incident with the XF and being such a prestige car, Jaguar should have done something about this as they are obviously aware of the design fault.

This is a well know. Fault and dealers were notified about this probably about 2014.

i had exactly the same problem and it cost me just over £1500. I contacted the CEO of Jaguar UK at Coventry, suggesting this was a design fault. He referred me to customer service who did t want to know saying the parts fitted had worked perfectly. I agreed with them. The parts fitted had worked perfectly and it was the design that was at fault.

the windscreen washer pump starts to leak and the water flows inside the wiring harness between the conductors and insulation until it reaches the drivers footwell body control module where it does lots of damage. This has to be replaced, the wiring harness modified and the £60 pump replaced.

fundamentally they washed their hands of me 

A problem can occur with the junction boxes when the battery is disconnected. The central locking no longer works and the Jaguar solution is new junction boxes - Jaguar know about this and there is a TSB about this.

This occurred on my car when I took it to a Jaguar dealer as part of a recall. The dealer contacted Jaguar who paid the bill for new junction boxes....others have found that a garage with Autologic equipment can reprogram in a few minutes.

Have a problem due to a design issue not at a dealers and sometimes I have read at a dealers Jaguar do not want to know so you pay.

For little cost you could take the matter to the Small Claims Court - a cheap and simple process and conducted around a table and should Jaguar fail to attend then you should get judgement in your favour, escalate it to the High Court, again cheap, and then send in the Enforcement Officers to get your money as per the likes of the programmes 'Can't Pay (or wont pay), We'll Take It Away' and 'The Sheriffs Are Coming'.

• 8 months later...

Hi,

Koicustody's experience is identical to my own.  Discovered while in France (August 2021) when the electric system failed due to the "fuse box" corrosion which I discovered was the water pumpfailure and water leaking up the wiring.  My case was exacerbated by the fact I had to have the car repatriated.  Fortunately I had good breakdown covert saving me several thousand pounds.  The repair to the wiring and control box cost around £1500.  Unfortunately the garage could not replace the faulty washer pump as it is anobsolete part.  I thought manufacturers had an obligation to make sure parts were avaioable for up to 10years after a model was discontinued?  Or is tha not correct?  The car is an XF Sportbrake 2013 3.0 D.

I am trying to source a washer pump but only cheap Chinese imports seem available.  Does anyone know where I might find of better quality?

Similarly I am not sure Jags will entertain any claims of faulty design, though equally the pumps are failing.  If the cars had been properly recalled (mine has full Jag service history) and the wiring fix applied (cost me 2x £75 for two "dams" in the wiring) then at least I would not have broken down in France at a total cost excluding the repair of well over £5000 repatriation of me and my car.

• 1 year later...