New London emissions T-charge

Rowley_1812

I'm receiving mixed messages regarding whether or not my 2005 (55) 2.0d should be exempt from the new London T-charge.

According to the TfL compliance checker link my car is NOT exempt. 

When entering the VIN on the Jaguar TOPIx site it states "Model year : 2006" and under emissions : "Stage IV Requirements" which suggests to me Euro-4 compliant which IS exempt.

The V5C shows 149 k/gm against emissions which suggests pre-Euro-4 so NOT exempt.

Is there anyone out there with a 2005 2.0d that IS exempt?  If yes, do please post. 

Hi Rowley,

The Euro 4 requirements in many cases needed a DPF, and my s type [07] has one.  My son has a 2.0 diesel x type on an 06 plate and there is no need for a DPF. It has just passed its MOT.

I have a feeling that your x type is compliant, although I would like to hear the view of a Londoner with a similar car to yours.

Regards,

Peter.

Morning Peter,

As explained, according to TfL my (55) 2.0d is NOT compliant which is why I'm interested in hearing from others of same year and model.  They don't need to be Londoners, they can be anywhere in the UK just input your reg number into the link below ...

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/emissions-surcharge/compliance-checker

My research has also uncovered that although the V5C states that the car is Euro-4 compliant (trigger point for the charge) the vehicle is actually only certified to Euro-3 by Jaguar.

I'm told that those 2005 models with the EGR valve powered by vacuum but switched electrically are those that meet Euro-4 limits but are still formally certified as Euro-3 by regulation. Like mine.

In terms of T-charge exemption I'm not sure that the DPF means much.

Best, Rowley

Hi Rowley, 

I must admit that I have not researched much on London emissions, partly because when we visit our daughter in Bromley it is either the weekend owe go in SWMBO's Toyota Yaris Hybrid.

It may be that Jaguar only certified the earlier x types  as Euro 3 and then could not be bother about certification on later models.  Paperwork!

I have a few connections in the Big House on the North Bank of the Thames and if we don't find anything definite I will ask for a bit of clarification.  A letter to Sadiq Khan might be useful also.  I am also wondering if those that work in the Big House have to pay the extra charge!

Regards,

Peter.

20 hours ago, Rowley_1812 said:

I shouldn't worry about those in the Big House Peter, or indeed those in the Other Place, having to pay any extra charge.

I believe they call it 'expenses' !

When I had to go to London when working, the Boss decided I should drive in rather than go by train.  Those in the Scottish, North East, Yorkshire and Welch offices who had company cars were exempt as it was to far, but me in the Birmingham Office had to drive.

So I did, and as the Head Office did not have enough parking space I put the car in a secure multi storey car park, as I was required to keep the car in a garage overnight.  It cost £26 a night - probably more expensive now - fuel cost was about £25-- so my claim for £104 was a bit bigger than the £35 train fare.

I was ordered to go by train in the future.

Those in the big house would probably travel first class if they didn't drive!

Peter.

• 2 weeks later...

As I understand it pretty much as a general rule anything pre 2006 is subject to the T charge. There is a provision that if your V5 states euro 4 emissions then you can write to TFL and with evidence have your vehicle exempted from this charge. I would go by the checker link on TFL and if they state you are not exempt then pay or don’t drive in during the charging period, as it is that database to which they will work, if it says you are liable to charge I would not risk getting the fine instead.  I am definitely not exempt, being 03 Petrol, and have now stopped driving in to the centre as I refuse to line the pockets of the government. They not bothered about the air quality as if you prepared to pay then you can continue driving!!!!

Further to this charge look out for the ULEZ charge ( Ultra Low Emission Zone ) due to come into effect April 2019. This will be a 24 hr 365 day a year charge in the congestion charge area initially. If your vehicle is older than sept 2015 Diesel, jan 2007 Petrol and jan 2006 motorbike then you will be liable to pay £12.50 per day. They are looking to extend this area to anywhere inside the North and South Circulars by 2021

Likewise, very careful checking (and double checking) revealed :

Our '07 2.7D S-type is liable for Congestion Charge (CC) and T-Charge (TC); when the Ultra Low Emission Charge comes in, also liable for that

Our '98 3.2 XJ8 is likewise liable for all three

Amazingly, our '07 XK 4.2 V8 is only liable for CC, not TC and, neither, when it comes in, ULEC

I spoke with a person who is involved with TFL who stated quite clearly that if the checker says you are liable, you are liable; and vice versa.

Both significant other and myself have blue badges which exempts us from CC and TC, but when ULEC comes in, the exemption will not apply to ULEC.

Confused?.....you will be.   Bottom line is that once the ULEC comes in, if you have no exemptions and a non-compliant vehicle, it will cost you £35 a day to sit in the London traffic.  That is, until the charges are increased....wonder how long that will take.    

We are not particularly anti or pro-green, but imagine the day when we all visit Trooping of the Colour astride a polar bear whilst the Red Arrows dump coloured kerosene all over us!

Quite a lot is verging on the unknown.  By the look of it it appears that EU6 is the criterion on which it is based.  My son-in-law who lives in Brockley has a Suzuki Wagon on a 1999 plate, and he tells me that he will not have any problem, as the emissions area is in reality quite small and if  you know the roads around it can easily be avoided.

I am going to London to morrow and I will use the train as usual as it is both quicker and taking in the cost of parking, much cheaper.  When these regulation extend to Birmingham I won't be bothered either, asI use my travel pass to get around, or I can use my wife's Yaris Hybrid.

I don't think that charging people more in London will solve the air pollution issue, but might push the use of electric vehicles a little bit more.  There are several small buses in Sutton Coldfield that are electrically powered.

OVO energy, who provide our energy supplies, are running a battery charging scheme and they indicate that there will be more charging points than petrol stations by 2019.

Peter.

• 2 weeks later...

Since I posted on this earlier I have again checked on TfL website with regard to being exempt or not. Seems now that it has been introduced the database has been properly updated with reference to emissions. Whereas they initially stated as a general rule pre 2006 would be subject my 03 Petrol is exempt from t charge. 

This came about from work that one of my watch has a 52 plate Petrol bmw and is also exempt, seems it is diesels that are hit hardest but put your reg in to the TfL checker to make sure