Sat Nav DVDs

secretagentmole

hi

that because thats the last dvd updated disc they made

they hav'nt released any since 2012, suppose there not enough money in it for them

strange really, when you think how many S-type's, X-type's and XJ's out there, they would make a killing on it

I'd have one for sure, the built in sat nav is quite good

cheers

Joe

6 hours ago, JOE-DOT-COM said:

they hav'nt released any since 2012, suppose there not enough money in it for them

strange really, when you think how many S-type's, X-type's and XJ's out there, they would make a killing on it

My guess is that it's not Jaguar themselves, but the navigation people that stopped supporting five years after end of production. Like how Microsoft stops supporting older versions of Windows after a number of years. I asked Jaguar Norway about it and they said that they hadn't seen many complaints about it, or the lack of DAB, USB and bluetooth, probably because everyone have smartphones. If they saw enough demand for it, they would consider asking the manufacturer to produce an update.

Personally, I'm torn between the desire to keep it original and the urge to modify with an android tablet.

Correct, Knut,

The Sat Nav system used throughout the automotive world is made by a Company called DENSO, which was founded in 1949 in Japan and is 25% owned by Toyota.  It is not just Jaguar who they supply but you will find that they  also  provide Mercedes, BMW, and all the Japanese cars with the Sat Nav Systems they use.

I do like the system that is installed in the s type, x type and the XJ and if they produce another later disc, I will be on the list.

But in the world of automotive parts Sat Nav parts are not the most important parts being made.

Regards,

Peter.

So I wonder if the mapping and graphic models are the same on the other vehicles.  I did notice it is the same mapping as our older ambulances

I'm going to drop in to Denso in Telford and see if they have any tech bods who can shed light on who to contact

I wouldn't be surprised to find another car has the same system which is updated to modern times.  I'll get poking around and see what I can uncover

If not it's back to the smartphone for modern tweeks and use the old dog for general stuff

I got myself one of these, find it does eveything i want, brilliant, sorry in advance if am not suppose to advertise on here.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XTRONS-Double-2-DIN-6-95-In-Dash-Car-Stereo-Radio-CD-DVD-Player-GPS-Sat-Nav-RDS/182041102148?hash=item2a627ec744:g:LNUAAOSwz71ZSMpy

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/20/2017 at 9:51 AM, Nematode said:

So I wonder if the mapping and graphic models are the same on the other vehicles.  I did notice it is the same mapping as our older ambulances

I'm going to drop in to Denso in Telford and see if they have any tech bods who can shed light on who to contact

I wouldn't be surprised to find another car has the same system which is updated to modern times.  I'll get poking around and see what I can uncover

If not it's back to the smartphone for modern tweeks and use the old dog for general stuff

Did you get any joy from Denso's on this issue ?  I'm like many others who would prefer to keep and use the built-in navigation rather than yet another accessory to plug in !!!  There seems to be quite a high demand for an up-to-date disc so hoping they might just bite the bullet and do one just to shut us all up !

Just bye the bye, Denso came out of Magneti Marelli, which came out of Lucas.    Whilst on one of our frequent visits to the Jaguar Collection at Gaydon a while ago, the tech team were attempting to start a racing XJS exhibit and having little joy.   One of the techs was heard to say "suspect anything with Lucas stamped on it!"    May be it therefore follows "suspect anything with Denso stamped on it".     Automotive parts named similarly to a washing powder might not be off to a good start (no pun intended.....then again).

We, too, like to keep original, although it can be a little off putting when, due to lack of update, the satnav indicates that we are crossing a field near to the (old) main road.   Ah well, bear right......grrrr, hello Yogi.

Too much brandy sauce......hic

I am given to the understanding that Denso was founded in Japan in 1949 and was part owned by Toyota, who still own 25% of the Company, which is one of the largest  global companies in existence, supplying parts to all of the major manufacturers.

Lucas was the biggest supplier to the automotive industry in the UK and as the British Car industry diminished, so did Lucas.  Lucas supplied cheap parts to the car industry which mostly lasted less than two years and were the subject of many recalls, especially when Lucas found out that a recall was worth more to them than the part actually cost. "Saving Jaguar" by John Egan illustrate this issue

Thee is no real connection of Denso with Lucas,

Peter.

Toyota were the 100% owners of Denso at one time and it was largely due to the Japanese Government pressure that they reduced their shareholding to 25% which it is now.

Denso stopped making discs fr certain models  5 years after a model for which it suplied the unit had stopped producing. Simple a business decision.  They still supply Jaguar, Mercedes, BMW etc with the sat nav.

Lucas deteriorated in quality at the same time that the British Car industry was taking the hit from the Japanese.

Peter.

• 2 months later...

Denso in Telford can't help at all.  Production only.  Not even a suggestion that they know a man that will know a man.

Mobile Nav is going to be order of the day. I don't even see the point of updating to 2012.

Just by the way - if a phone screen isn't big enough for the job - Create a mobile hotspot on your phone and link a tablet to it.  There are some really cheap tablets and adaptable mounts out there.  It does the same, same data source, but live traffic incorporated.

Tony

Denso stopped production of Sat Nav Discs got the X Type,, s type and XJ's plus earlier XFs up to 2007/8 in 2012/2013.  It was purely a commercial decision.

I uprated to the 2012 disc, but have not even considered  of looking for a later disc.

As you say, there are so many other ways of navigation and if I am going to an unknown destination I will definitely use  the apps on my I Phone.

I have just bought a universal vent mount!

Peter.