Snow Chains

GrahamV

Where are you planning to take it? For road use in the UK choose a full set of winter tyres suited to the conditions in question, and you are unlikely to need chains.

Chains may be needed for deep snow if you live a mile or more from the public highway in a very exposed location, but not on road.

One of my business partners lives in a harmhouse a couple of miles off road way out on the moors. In the absolute worst winter conditions he fits heavy duty chains to his Defender, and uses it to get from the house to the road, where he leaves his Discovery to use on road.

The chains he uses could never be used on road, and take more than an hour to put on the car and tension. They then stay on until the snow goes.

I have only seen snow chains in use once, in spite f working in North Wales on a hill for 8 years and in the Peak District in Derbyshire for 12 years.  When I saw snow chains being used it was in flat Sutton Coldfield when there was two inches of snow, and was driving from Derbyshire to Sutton Coldfield.

The chains were on a Range Rover!  I think careful driving on winter tyres or even all weather tyres should be OK in our relatively mild winters unless you are well off the beaten track.

Peter.

Dear Pete and Leo,

I'm a regular winter skiier and go the the French Alps. Chains are sometimes obligatory and sometimes they have been the only means of getting about. My Saab 9.3 was fearless in chains. This is my first all wheel drive vehicle hence my questions. Thank you for your comments so far,

Graham.

I have driven 4WDs for more than 40 years, mostly Range Rovers but also Defenders, Discovery, Nissan Patrol, Jeep Cherokee and Diahatsu Fourtrack. I used all of them off-road as well as on.

My first Range Rover was the earliest four door model. It had narrow mud and slush tyres, and would conquer snow drifts so deep that they piled up on the bonnet. I also drove it through water that formed a bow wave at the bottom of the windscreen.

I have climbed grass/gravel slopes at around the magic one-in-one angle with no problem.

I never used chains, and in my experience it was my courage that was the limit, rather than the vehicle.

Modern vehicles have wonderful 4WD technology which should enable them to outdo those old vehicles, but sadly are supplied with wheels and tyres which make them far less able than my first Range Rover.

That said, all that an owner needs to do to make full use of their ability is to fit narrow wheels with all-terrain tyres.

They will then have tremendous traction on mud slush and snow, but drivers need to bear in mind that performance on ice is not improved unless they fit nailed tyres, and whilst all-terrain tyres help when it comes to braking in snow or slush, it is better to avoid using the brakes whenever possible.

My wife and I live out in the sticks on the Shropshire / Herefordshire border and at a high elevation so snow in the winter months is not uncommon. Since we've been here in fact we have seen only one year, last winter, where we saw very little snow indeed.  Besides my S Type, which is a fairly recent acquisition, my wife and I respectively run an Audi A4 Allroad and an Audi A8 both of which have the benefit of 4WD. Neither of these have faced any problems in getting up or down the local hills nor have they ever baulked at getting into our driveway which consists of an uphill U turn into a garage area that has defeated any number two-wheel drive vehicles. Saying that though reminds me that our driveway entrance did defeat my A8 on one occasion but that was because it bellied out on deep snow.

My twopenneth on the subject; unless you are going seriously off-road, winter tyres should be more than sufficient for all but the most extreme conditions. That said, given that you sometimes drive around the Alps, I would simply chuck a set (of four) in the boot together with the tools you need to fit them.

Also, if your F Pace fails to handle anything but the most challenging conditions I would take it back to Jaguar for a refund under the Trades Descriptions Act.

Cheers,

Steve

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Join The Club

Join the Jaguar Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

• Topics

• Our picks

• Simply Jaguar show at Beaulieu - Sunday 23rd June 2024
      Jaguar Owners Club have a stand at this year's Simply Jaguar event at the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, Hampshire on Sunday 23rd June 2024

Tickets are available online here: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar/
      • 1 reply
    • JAGUAR’S LAST PETROL SPORTS CAR: F-TYPE ZP EDITION TAKES THE CHEQUERED FLAG
      Jaguar is commemorating the end of its internal combustion sports car lineage in 2024 with an exclusive limited-edition F-TYPE inspired by two iconic 1960s racing E-types

Just 150 examples of the F-TYPE ZP Edition will be the last internal combustion-engined sports cars designed by Jaguar. These 575PS supercharged petrol V8 F-TYPEs feature specially curated interior and exterior details by the personalisation experts at SV Bespoke.
    • UPDATE SHOW INFORMATION !

Please find attached your club label – please can this be distributed amongst your club members prior to the event. Please ensure that they print this label and display it in their windscreen upon entry to the event, this ensures that all members wishing to park within your club area are directed to the correct parking location by our stewards. Please do not modify or add logos to the club label.

We do ask that all individuals have purchased their tickets on an individual basis in advance via our website, to speed up the entry process on the day. This can be done on our website here until 2pm on the day when admission closes: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar.

Note that we do have two entrances available, one is exhibitors gate at the bottom of the hill as you come in to Beaulieu, with the other being the normal Simply event entrance within the attraction. Either entrance is fine to use and both are open from 9.00am, with the exhibitors entrance closing around 11am.

Jaguar Owners Club (1).pdf
    • Simply Jaguar - Beaulieu Motor Museum - 25th June 2023
      Jaguar Owners Club have a stand at this years Simply Jaguar event at the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, Hampshire on Sunday 26th June 2023

Tickets are available online here: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar/

TICKETS & PRICES
      Participant prices are only valid if arriving in a Jaguar and taking part in the rally. They are not valid for those arriving on foot.

Participants can make the most of our EARLY BIRD discount by booking before 28th February 2023.

Children under 5 require a ticket, this can be booked online free of charge.

Participant and visitor tickets will include entrance to the rest of the Beaulieu attraction, including the National Motor Museum, Palace House, Little Beaulieu, World of Top Gear, Beaulieu Abbey and its grounds and gardens.

The best time for viewing the Simply rally is between 10am and 2pm.

Adult

Child

Participants – Early Bird*

£14.00

£7.50

Participants – Standard & On The Day

£16.00

£8.00

Visitors

Normal admission applies.

Normal admission applies

*Early bird tickets are available until 28th February 2023

VEHICLE ENTRY
      Entry with your Jaguar is from 9am – 2pm. Please make sure you have your ticket printed or available on your phone, ready to be scanned on arrival.

Please do not arrive early for our Simply rallies as no facilities will be open prior to 9:30am.

Cars cannot leave and re-enter the grounds for the Simply rallies.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

CLUB STAND ATTENDEE LIST

We do ask for a final update on numbers 2 weeks prior to the event following which we will send out club labels to you via email for you to then distribute out to club members. Club members then need to print and display these in their windscreen on arrival. This helps us then park you all in your club area together.

1. Trevor (admin)
      2.  Paj

• 5 replies
    • F-TYPE marks 75 years of Jaguar sports cars and its final model year update
      The Jaguar F-TYPE is the definitive Jaguar sports car from a rich bloodline spanning 75 years and including some of the most iconic models ever built

Forums

News

Membership