• Save up to 15% off your Jaguar insurance!
      Save up to 15% off your Jaguar insurance!
    • Share Your Experience
      Share Your Experience
    • Join Premium And Save!
      Join Premium And Save!
    • Large Selection Of Jaguar Parts
      Large Selection Of Jaguar Parts
    • Over 3000 Jaguar vehicles for sale
      Over 3000 Jaguar vehicles for sale
    • Club T-Shirts and Merchandise
      Club T-Shirts and Merchandise

which is best.ive fitted some hid's on my mates car but not seen or fitted any led's and how do they fit in the jag............is their something about unplugging the lights that stops the auto level or something.ive got a 2007 2.7d

hi

if your car has self leveling lights, then it already has hid lights

the self leveling was fitted to cars with hid lights and yes your right if your car has self leveling lights, if you unplug the headlight with the battery connected, the self leveling will stop working and can only be reset with jaguar software IDS/SDD

also any bulb or light fitted with a color over 4200k is illegal, if you get a awkward copper, but most mot station will pass anything, hid to be 100% legal should be self leveling and have headlight washer fitted, but I've fitted loads to cars and never had any issues, with mot's or police https://www.powerbulbs.com/blog/2013/09/are-blue-car-bulbs-legal

personally I prefer the HID's, but every one has there own preference , I don't think the LED's have the reliability yet, the led are fine, the power supply part is the weak link, also high power led's generate quite a bit of heat, if there not cooled, they fail, so that means either large daft heat sinks or tapes or fans are fitted on the back, you cant usually put the rear cover/grommet back on to seal the headlight either, so means your headlight is open to the elements, which end up get dirt inside and condensation

cheers

Joe

If your car does have HIDs I would stick with them, but for Halogen replacements I'm a big fan of LEDs having fitted them to my S Type some months ago. Yes Joe is correct they generate a lot of heat (I'm not sure why, but I suspect they have a mother loving great resistor inside to bring the power down to LED requirements), mine have heatsinks and fans on the back. However I have had no problem fitting the covers back on, and careful monitoring on a 3 hour drive with the lights on showed no heat problems, the headlight unit is ventilated so I guess that copes with it, both sets were purchased through Amazon and not sure about my dip beams, but my main beams came with a 3 year warranty, so reliability is not so much of a concern. They were around £30 - £35 for each set, which given that Halfords premium halogen bulb, their Halfords Xenon HID Style 4400K + 30% 448 Bulb sell for £39 each, they sound like a bargain! The only downside was I originally intended only to fit dip beams, but the mains looked so yellow in comparison I changed them, but then the sidelights also had to be changed........ 

IMG_0529a.thumb.jpg.adbb01f1d83adad38485033f606be69f.jpg

The full effect in daylight. The beam pattern appears identical to that with Halogens, and I have certainly had no one flash at me or the like so they are not annoying other drivers.

So if I need to change a bulb I need to disconnect the battery so I do upset the self levelling.

Also how do I know whether I have hid's  or not.i pick my new jag up tomorrow and that's something I've missed off my check list to date

Here is the difference visually - 

normal.jpg.9f49c8b763bb5dd07d73eff4a4020532.jpg

For Halogen bulb change, no need to disconnect the battery, not sure about HIDs

So I'm guessing that if the bulb pops then the jag system may think the bulb has been removed and may need resetting anyway.could be a flaw