Jobs On The X Type.. Getting there!

DAN_V6_SE

Waste seals looking better! The old ones just pull off, when fitting the new ones i just ensured they were flush and lined up/pushed in correctly into the groove. There are some white clips to slot into on the ends but mine were brittle and snapped, I found the fit better without them anyway and just blobbed a little silicon sealant behind the new rubber. Smartens the car up no end as mine had blown out badly.

http://img692.images...011901143ys.jpg

New drivers wing has arrived!

http://img42.imagesh...cestershire.jpg

Replaced the batteries and key fobs which has cured the central locking problem too! The rubbers and the actual buttons on the chip inside the key wear out badly! The replacement buttons are available on eBay for £10.99. After battery replacement and fob change (keeping the original key section and attach to the new button section) turn the key in the ignition quickly back and forward 4 times (not starting the engne, just turn on the electrics) you will hear a chime, quickly remove the key and press any of the buttons, you hear another chime and that button will now work. Repeat the process for each button and the whole thing works nicely again!

eBay replacement fob section I got is here http://www.ebay.co.u...d=390502545781

Replacement footwell mats are in and the car lives on.

Things I STILL havnt fixed or done..

INVESTIGATE AND FIX ENGINE MANAGEMENT CODE P1000
FIX WING MIRROR RETRACT MECHANISM
spark plugs
INVESTIGATE AND FIX BOUNCY REAR SUSPENSION

I will update this thread with my findings and any solutions. Il get some pics of the new wing bolted on when I`ve done it too, doesnt look too hard the top bolts are easy to get to I think it will just be where it meets the front bumper that might be a pain.

A couple of issues really. The first, the ignition barrel seemed to be a little `sticky`, I think if the little mechanism inside isnt opening/closing properly it can cause an issue and stop the central locking working. Spray some WD40 onto your key and waggle it and work it around, dont go OTT it should free up ok.

Second issue, I thought the batteries were dieing inside the key fob as the remotes worked very randomly and I was pushing down hard on the buttons. Changed the batteries.. Still the same problem persisted. In the end, I bought a repair kit which consisted of 4x new buttons which you can solder onto the chip inside the key, and a new set of the rubber buttons. Thats the cheapest but trickiest way. To fix my other key fob which had the same issue, I bought a brand new fob and simply switched the key part off my original onto it.

Now both my main and spare key fobs work from like 20m away so it has cured the problem!

Edited by DAN_V6_SE

Changed my air filter today. Easy job but managed to slice my thumb in the process!lol. Due to rusty screws!! Remove screws on plastic cover in engine bay, take off Oil cap, take of plastic cover (replace Oil cap for now) remove phillips head screws on second plastic cover which houses air filter, yack out old filter and whack in new filter! Replace plastic covers! Took ten minutes.

Look at my old air filter, do we think this has EVER been replaced in the cars ten year life??! I hadnt ripped it apart either, it came out this way! >>>>

Cabin/pollen filter change is easy too. Didn't even need to take the window wipers off, just remove the retaining clips on the plastic trim in the engine bay below where the wipers are bolted on, you can gently lift it just enough to slide out the old filter and slot the new one in without causing any damage.Next weekend, Oil change. I`ve just bought two 4L bottles of Castrol 5W30 Fully Synthetic and a new Oil filter so hopefully the old one wont be too jammed on.

On a side note... I had a crazy idea.. I`m thinking of respraying all the kind of `chrome` silver plastics black, and putting a set of nice multispoke black alloys on, and using the gold leaping cat bonnet ornament I have rather than a silver one... To make my Jag different to everyone elses. Is this a really rubbish idea or shall I go for it?lol.

• 2 weeks later...

@Dan_v6_se

Hi dude. I think everyone has different tastes and if you like something then no one else's opinion matters! :-) but me personally if I had your version I wouldn't spray them black as I hate the chrome bits with a passion and it would still draw attention to them. I would get them colour coded so it all blends in and buy the mesh bonnet grill with the silver Jaguar for your bonnet. As for the black alloys they could really set the car off and look great if you get the right ones. If you like the ones you already have maybe have them refurbed and done in black. A much cheaper option. I've rushed into having bits done on cars I've owned before and well regretted it as its ended up lookin crap!! But as I said that's only my opinion and everyone's taste is different :-)

Yeah, I think multispoke alloys look A LOT better than my standard ones so I`ve been in touch with a company called Jeff Fowkes in Ibstock Leics, they are looking into options for a nice set of either silver or black wheels, 17" with perfect offsets for my car. So sometime next week I will have pics with the new wheels on. I think black bumper inserts will look pants after thinking about it.. The body colour coded option may be the best idea.. However now I`m thinking gold to match the leaper.. Or the easier option would be sell the gold leaper and get a silver one.. But that would just be too easy!lol. I spent 2 hours cleaning inside the car today wiped all the leather down, everythings coming together nicely. Still didnt change the Oil!! I WILL do it tomorrow, the Castrol and new Oil filter sitting in its box are staring at me from the kitchen wortop everytime I walk into the kitchen. lol.

Awww man... I cant help myself! Just bought a brand new set of these multispoke beasties... http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.momo88.com/sitepix/products/td_monza_r.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.momo88.com/store_main.asp?int_catalog_id%3D1%26int_category_id%3D2%26int_subcategory_id%3D0%26int_product_id%3D2316&h=345&w=350&sz=24&tbnid=7FKokBX8yBaYKM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=91&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dteam%2Bdynamics%2Bmonza%2Balloys%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=team+dynamics+monza+alloys&usg=__zJzYlltbWgQ4fcCYFVb9s2zA9lU=&docid=NQPR6Diw8J0txM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=ToEmUcSdDsmS0QXv3IGICA&ved=0CGkQ9QEwAg&dur=381

Team Dynamic Monza R 17inch multispokes. I will post up pick saturday when they are fitted!!

Secondly just bought a new private reg for it, `AG02 DAN`. Paperwork has come through so just need to get the plates made up and pop to DVLA office and get it assigned to the car!

Cabin/pollen filter change is easy too. Didn't even need to take the window wipers off, just remove the retaining clips on the plastic trim in the engine bay below where the wipers are bolted on, you can gently lift it just enough to slide out the old filter and slot the new one in without causing any damage.Next weekend, oil change. I`ve just bought two 4L bottles of Castrol 5W30 Fully Synthetic and a new oil filter so hopefully the old one wont be too jammed on.

Dan you know Jaguar don't reccommend fully synthetic Oil in the V6 engine don't you?

Where did you hear that bud? My X Type handbook states > Recommends Castrol, 5W 30 viscosity spec WSS A or B, ACEA1. The Castrol Magnatec Fully Synth meets all the spec from what the handbook recommends, has the exact code the handbook states as suitable, doesnt say anywhere about fully synth or has to be semi you can probably use either and probably run fine. I`m sticking with it anyway mate.lol. Fully synth is meant to be better overall for an engine isnt it from startup so I dont see the problem?

In my handbook for my 02 x type it says "Jaguar do not recommend the use of Synthetic Oil in the V6 engine". I wrote to Jaguar to enquire about this and they replied saying they don't recommend fully synthetic but semi is ok. Which is just as well as you can't buy much else these days. :)

Ahh I see, I cant find anything about that in mine. Well, I`m not gonna worry! Think it will be fine, has the same codes recommended and 5W 30 still, I just thought fully synthetic is just meant to give the enigne better protection from cold starts and initially starting the car up, would be interested to know why they are saying it isnt good to use??

I think it should be ok. I seem to remember seeing somewhere about it affecting Oil seals, but can't be sure. I'm sure if it was that big an issue it would be common knowledge and there would be a warning on the engine.

Cool I`m sticking with it I think it`s decent stuff. On another note, got my new plates on as the DVLA finally processed my new reg, and replaced the damaged panel. So it`s looking spanking again!

The replacement wing panel fits perfectly and is an exact colour match, got lucky with that! I`m going to go silver with the leaper, I think the gold would be better suited to maybe a black or green car. If anyone wants to buy the gold one CHEAP, £12 posted! Cost me about 30 quid a few weeks back it`s in good condition.

19612073.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Right I see, so if I have code p1000 that's not the problem? So why would the engine light stay on? I cleared the codes but it still comes on... So must still be something else stored? I`ll have another look when I get time but at the minute I`ve been really busy.

Hi Dan,

Nice alloys there, really suit your X, you may have to consider a big brake conversion :)

Best regards,

Dave

So, I decided against black rims. I just thought the look of silver multispokes really suited it best. What do you think? New Monza R 17inch rims wrapped in fresh rubber all round.

img2013022301213.jpg

northwestleicestershire.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us