3 ltr v6 diesel jag xf premium lux timing belt

captain Alan

Hi, I have just bought a 59 plate xf premium lux 3.0 v6 diesel in silver,made up with the car it has done 90000 miles with full Jag service history and I was wondering what mileage do jag recommend for the cam belt renewal and what sort of cost are we looking at,

thanks Alan

Welcome to the Club, Alan.

Your XF sound great.

I have an S type 2.7 Litre diesel with 50k on the clock, and Jaguar recommend cam belt changes for that engine at 105k miles.

I don't think it comes in too cheaply, but there is a topic on this site showing some good independent garages that could do just a good job but a bit cheaper than the main dealers.

Regards,

Peter.

Hi Peter thanks for the reply and welcome, I will have to have a look round the site .I am very pleased with the XF and feel back in the fold.,I had an XJ6 3.2 in the 90s which was a nice car but im afraid I defected in 2006 and purchased a BMW 528i which was ok but I made the mistake of fitting 19 inch wheels and 235 x 35 x 19 tyres to them which was a bit low on profile,ruined the ride and I was going through a set of Dentures every 5000 miles with the state the roads.

thanks again for the reply and welcome Alan

Hi Alan,

My name's Dave, like yourself just joined the club, regards your timing belt change,don't think I would take mine past 110 k.

Only ever had one snap on me, was lucky,snapped as I turned the engine off was my first car Ford Capri.

In my years of driving 70k has been the Golden number for a change, but regards the xf it's just over 100k.

Regards.

Dave.

Hi Dave ,thanks for the reply,I will make it a priority and get it done before I reach 95k,piece of mind at least.Like yourself I had a belt

go on a sierra some years back and I was doing about 30mph at the time and the car just stopped ,got a tow home and put a new belt on and lucky enough no damage done to the engine ( just as well it was the wifes car ! ) certainly not going to chance it with the XF.

cheers Alan

• 3 years later...

Jaguar recommend changing the 3.0D belt at 112,000m or 10years if vehicle has been subject to normal road use. So you still still have time to save up..£££s:w00t:..

The Jaguar offical book time given is 4:30hrs. And should be invoiced at! And not charged for the time wrote on the technicians job sheet which would probably include chatting to there mates & tea breaks.. Whether still available Jaguar was doing a promotional offer?? On 3+ year old cars at £439.00 for a belt change including all parts & anti freeze..At that mileage while stripped down it would be false economy not to consider having the high-pressure fuel pump driven belt changed at the same time? Plus water pump and a replacement cam belt pulley bolt.

How-to-replace-timing-belt-on-Jaguar-XJ-3.0D-V6-2010-.png

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 11:57 AM, TDF said:

I was under the impression that all 3.0 V6 XF's had chains not belts, is this untrue? 

petrol - timing chains

diesel - belts, I think but I may be corrected.

1 hour ago, pezzzer said:

petrol - timing chains

diesel - belts, I think but I may be corrected.

Hi Kev,

I think you are correct.  The diesel engine of the XF is a developed version of the 2.7 diesel on the S type which has a belt.  I can only guess, like Kev, that it is a belt.

Peter.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi I'm john just got a price from Jaguar to change my timing belt and water pump on my 2010 diesel 3liter xfs which they won't 625 to change belt and 543 to change water pump.why so much to change water pump if they are all ready taking off the timing belt. Can get a new pump on line for less then 100 pound.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi James and welcome to the club.

The Diesel engine in the XK is a slightly improved one and is similar ro the 2.7 diesel in the S type and earlier XF.  Tell the dealer that the diesel engine has a belt and the petrol engine has a chain.

You could also tell him that there is no charge for that information,

Regards,

Peter.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 months later...

Hi Alan,my name is also Alan,I have a 2011 xf 3.0d & I changed the cambelt at 112k when I 1st got my car,I am not a mechanic & did it ok,I owe a lot to you tube for a 2.7 range rover,basically the same engine,good luck

• 2 months later...

Just had my cambelt changed at 113k. The old belt looks fine, no cracks and looked fine. Should I have left it some more miles before changing? No because if it did go then the engine is costly to repair.

The owner of the garage commented that they normally look fine though sometimes they are just a little frayed at the edges.

• 2 years later...

Greeting folks,

Can some one clear up the question once and for all.I have a 2009 xfs 3.0 d ,the dealer says its a chain 3 web sites say its a chain but at least 3 forums say belt,seems to be some confusion,I shal find out once and for all when I get my machanic to tke look next week and will report back.

Stay safe

Daz