new to jags need some help

phildog

hi new to Jaguar to be honest this is a big tick on my bucket list love the car the ride is better than i imagined.have some questions where can i get genuine owners manuals with wallet thats one no 2 i have intermittent rear parking sensor (could this be over waxing ) but the big one is i have no warm air could this be air lock there is no coolant in the large hose to the left and low down from radiator if this is air lock how do i bleed it out have tried bleed screw by expansion tank  but no joy car is 2005 s type auto diesel non satnav have posted this on another site 42 views no ans as yet think its mostly for american use.used to be member of rovers club always someone to help on there hoping this will same have one easy fix for you after taking my front wheel off to clear blockage in windscreen washers got another blockage 10 mins latter this time used air duster for blowing dust from pc a quid from pound shop used this to blow down washer tubes primed pump then with a syringe no prob since hope this helps someone save a bit of time cheers now thanks in advance phil.

:D my face when driving my jag

• Like 1

Welcome to the Club, Phillip.

There are a lot of helpful members who will offer you their experiences.

You can download an owners manual from the internet, and I am sure that there are some genuine ones out there that you could possibly find on eBay or Gumtree.

The intermittent parking sensor could be which could be over waxing and could be cleared with some car shampoo and warm water. It could also be one of the four sensors or the way out, which happened to me on an x type over a year ago.  A replacement will cost about £20.  Finding which one is a bit more difficult.

The air conditioning unit is a bit more difficult, and these days I do not get oily hands, so my inclination would be to look in the piggy bank for £40 and take the car to one of these places that advertise regassng the unit.

Regards,

Peter.

Hi Phil. just reading your post and in particular your 'big' problem, you say there is no water in the lower hose, if this is the one that feeds the heater matrix then I think it would be safe to assume something is blocked or water is unable to get there. It is unusual that you are not reporting over heating problem as this would point to the thermostat. Are you sure that the water is circulating, holding one of the pipes and revving the engine you should feel a surge or increased pressure on the wall of the tube, this would therefore indicate that the pump is working ok.

I would think that an 05 car would have at some point had the coolant replaced, therefore I can't really see it being a blockage or an air lock as you would hear bubbling & gurgling noises.

I would start in the cheapest and easiest place, the  thermostat bud.

thanks for those dont think its thermostat as drove back from wigan to stevenage after picking up car enjoyed that, temp stayed just below half and that is where it seems to sit bit higher if stationary in traffic.Water is circulating disconnected small hose going to expansion tank to try to expel air revved engine plenty of coolant out of end think i am going to loosen hose and see what happens.

If no joy will try thermostat.Would re gassing help with heater i have cold air just no warm

had a look and putting on the back burner till weekend.

is there a how to on the thermostat if not where would i find said thermostat thanks wont be going back to the other forum nobody will help.

the reason given is my punctuation is bad.

if i see anyone broken down on the side of the road i will help if i can i will stop and you will not have to sit an exam first,

a know my English is bad but i am a plasterer and dont use a lot of punctuation doing that please bare with me i will try harder.

thanks.

Hi Phillip,

Hope its gets sorted.

Never mind punctuation ---  the important bit of language is understanding the message.  I understood it without any problem.

Let us know how you get on, as all experiences are useful.

Regards,

Peter.

aye up Phildog, don't get down on your grammar dude, we are all here to help and the benefit of our experiences. More importantly lets try and get the issue sorted.

As far as I am aware a regassing of the air con unit only affects the air conditioning ie the cooling system.

If you are not experiencing overheating then the problem could be an electrical one as this controls the mechanical 'flaps' that, if faulty could be permanently in the shut off position, thereby inhibiting the flow of warm air into the cabin. I had a similar problem with a Fiat Tipo my daughter had, the control had broken and the car was freezing through one winter I remember, I went straight to the heater matrix and changed that but it made no difference.

Just done a quick search Phil, basically if you have a thermostat that is stuck in the 'closed' position this causes the car to overheat, if its stuck in the 'open' position the water keeps circulating building up very little heat causing no heat out put to the heater matrix.

So, when you first start your car the stat is in the closed position allowing the engine and cooling system to reach optimum temperature for running efficiency, when this temperature is reached it then opens allowing you then to use your heating in the cabin.

I think this makes more sense and that the cause of your issue is still the thermostat in my book. As for how to change it, a Haynes manual, youtube search or similar should be out there somewhere bud.

thanks for the replies not to down on myself as i said wont go back to other forum my wife thinks its hilarious and to be honest i do as well.

will try thermostat this weekend and report back cheers

Hi phildog,another possible cause could be the heater valve,i believe it sits near the bottom of the radiator,these have been troublesome from posts on another forum i have read.

I always go for the cheapest item to look at first,as the previous posters have said,might be worth changing the thermostat first then look at the more costly item,heater valve as i believe they are not cheap.

good Luck

Graham :D

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi there phildog I had a intermittent rear parking sensor fault it only worked if you held the gear leaver in reverse and it was just the switch on the gearbox for the reversing lights that also power up the rear parking sensors,I got a new switch on eBay for a ten pounds and it now works fine.

I think that your heating problem is the control valve not opening ? Why not get your self a inferred thermometer about £ 15.00 and you can check out the temperature of all pipe work and see we're the heat stops.