Biodiesel

BigKev82

Morning all,

I'm considering converting my big cat over to biodiesel and was wondering if any other members have done this, and if so if anyone has points to add to my pro/con list.

morning kevin. questions you have to ask your-self do i do that mutch millage that it warrants the cost.of converting . and secondly will it give me any probs in the long run. before i retired i had been asked by a local . who could get his hands on a vast amount of bio-fuel. i asked my partner as well as my mechanic,  mechanic s said unless you are doing 80,000 mls up-wards per year dont. he knew people who had converted vans to run on this stuff and that every year he had to clean out their tank a kind of fungus grows in it as well as the fuel system. that was a few years ago. but i hasten to add the person whom was going to supply us was a back street vendor. dont know mutch about the stuff sold on the forecourt . but you may get advice from others on here. regards charlie

Welcome to the club, Kevin.

Beware biodiesel.  The 2.7 litre CRD engine in the S Type Jaguar is a performance engine and was designed by Peugeot and Ford for Jaguar and Land Rover.

It might be cheaper, but a new engine can cost more than you think.  I have been advised not to use supermarket diesel without adding additives, but rather to use the expensive diesel, which gives you better performance and better mpg.

I had my car terracleaned a month ago and got 49.2 going up to Lancashire, and just knocking round the locality I am getting 32 mpg.

I know the EU do insist that biodiesel is the way ahead and that a certain amount can be added to standard diesel [some goes into supermarket diesel], but the difference in performance I get from the dearer stuff is worth the extra I pay at the pump.

Add to that the EGR valves don't stick any more, and the DPF filter gets better treatment.

Regards,

Peter.

Lancastrian in exile.

Peter,

I've been told to avoid supermarket fuel by a couple of mechanics for the reasons you state , and I agree it is worth paying a bit extra for decent stuff, as well as peace of mind.

ATB,

Trevor

Hi Trevor,

I did some research about biodiesel and find that it powers quite a lot of trucks and there heavy vehicles.

But I don't have a truck, I have a Jaguar, and I think the best car in Europe deserves the best fuel in Europe.

Regards,

Peter.

good morning trevor&peter. yes up early. just watched 5th gear tv show. they were comparing petrol from shell,bp,esso,and asda . shell s best came out on top. asda last. shell being among the dearest . asda the cheapest. esso s best wasnt up to mutch as was bp ulta. yes you are both correct about using better fuel for the jags. but at 8-10pence a litre price diff between them the question arises why not fill up at the supermarkets then simply pour in redex or something the same to get good results. ps the normal bp sold at the pump was only very slightly ahead of the asda stuff. . ps peter what are the advantage s of getting this terra-clean thing . done. regards charlie

Charles,

I was told by various mechanics when I had the M3, and the two Astons, and the Jags to avoid supermarket fuel like the plague, which I have done without any problems .

Also one cannot own a Jag and quibble about a few extra pence for decent fuel .

Peter  raves over the terra clean thing since he had it done, as have a few other peeps. He will be along shortly to explain it once he's had his orders for the day .

ATB,

Trevor

Hi Charlie,

Pouring in an additive can make your tank of fuel just as expensive as buying Shell vitro.  

Terraclean is something that equates to the old de-coke of an engine, in a way.  It removes carbon deposits and generally cleans the engine.  Cars with a diesel engine benefit the most, although the procedure for diesels is more expensive.  One of the things it does do is improve the engine emissions.  That is the technical bit which can be seen on You Tube  ---   just google "Terraclean" and you will get a choice of videos to watch.

The after effects for my car have been very noticeable.  The car is quicker, quieter, and the fuel economy has improved by over 10%.The engine on my car was replaced by Jaguar at 21k miles and has only done 34k which is quite low for a 7 year old car.

I am having it done to my son's immaculate 13 year old Skoda for his birthday present.

The cost for my car was £114, and it was well worth the money.

Regards,

Peter.

I must admit I've been guilty of using supermarket fuel, but always add an additive, and a drop of 2 stroke to the mix, more like a cauldron than a fuel tank.

I'm booked with Celtic Tuning for a re-map and think I'll take advantage of the same period off work to organise a Terraclean. What intervals mileage-wise would we recommend a 2nd Terraclean?

i know what your saying trevor. why buy a 4.2l sports car and moan about fuel prices, and i have been a good boy and took your advice been filling it up at local bp garage. but like peters terraclean thing idea but mine has only just turned 50,000mls on clock so dont know. i am going to check my mot readings. but with the results from 5thgears test on fuel. i dont see much point in going to bp and paying more for not much better fuel. nearest shell garage is about 3-4mls away so might stick to my own way of morrissons plus additive . what do you both think of kevins recipe lol charlie

Hi Kevin,

I do less than 7000 miles a year, so I would be inclined to have the Terraclean every other year a week or two before the MOT, which will make sure the emissions are up to scratch.

I think, and it is only a guess, that every 15,000 or so miles would be about right.  Keeping an engine clean inside is just as important to me as keeping a car clean and tidy outside.

Regards,

Peter.

Charlie,

I think that Terraclean is best on devil's fuel cars . Mine is fairly new , so thankfully I haven't got to worry about things like that (yet) .

Also, everything they say on the square box isn't gospel .

ATB,

Trevor

I'd usually fill up at Shell, apart from a very good looking and lovely assistant called Eventa (worth popping in for anyone living in or around Skelmersdale), I also notice how I do seem to get more per tank and the car does run smoother. Unfortunately since April my local Shell has been having a refurb, so Asda is my only other choice, so its a additive in with it, the 2 stroke idea I remember seeing a while ago, can't actually remember the specifics of what it does, but I'm guessing a quick search on here will reveal all..

Done a bit more research and 15,000 seems to be the common consensus, I do around 14,000 a year, so 12months or so between will see me right.

Charlie,

I think that Terraclean is best on devil's fuel cars . Mine is fairly new , so thankfully I haven't got to worry about things like that (yet) .

Also, everything they say on the square box isn't gospel .

ATB,

Trevor

Trevor,

Diesel engines need to have more of their innards cleaning out.  There are EGR valves and DFP filters for instance, which get some benefit from the process.  But Terraclean was invented, if that is the right word, for us on petrol cars, and it does a great job on emission controls. Petrol engines with higher mileages will benefit also, but normally I don't think a petrol engine would need the service until it has done over 50k or if it has problems with emissions.

Petrol engines run much cleaner than diesel engines, which is why the diesel engines has to have more additives in the fuel and much more emission control.

Peter.

peter dont think mine will need terracleaned. looked at mot emission s bit mine is only 0.7 out of 200. was pulled over last year vosa check point cop waved me in two vosa guys said to me dont know why he waved you in this is a petrol car anyway one stuck the probe up the exhaust and said its the cleanest reading ive ever taken. this is great ive saved money again trevor haha

kevin it is a strange witches brew that you put in your tank .who knows what goes on in the dark lanes down south. hear devon is the worst haha

haha will bring HM along too haha bet thers a queue. just got email from mercedes offering the new c-class £329 a month. hm is missing hers dosnt like the vauxhall . charlie

Charlie,

I don't like Vauxhalls either, £329 a month! ? go and get your wallet surgically opened and buy the woman one . My friend works on a merc stealership in Nottingham and is allowed one discount car a year for "family" to them I am her father

ATB,

Trevor

i am not telling her trevor or she will go on strike saying give that. vauxhall to one off the boys. and cook your own ect have bitter exp off this in the past. no were retired now will have to live on a budget i am afraid . peters been quiet maybe hes been to that place in the photo and not letting on lol regards charlie

Charlie,

Peter won't be quiet for long, he's northern English, he's probably got a mouth full of mushy peas.

I'm retired also but missing the music a great deal, will be a pensioner in a few weeks and have already sorted a tin of those travel sweets for the car which are obligatory for oldies.

ATB,

Trevor

P.S. Put your foot down with 'er indoors, tell her it's your turn to be boss "

darnt do that trevor , got turfed out last time i tried, had to sleep on son no 1s couch. to old for that now. i am being informed to stop playing with that laptop we are going shopping to morrisons. will have to keep in with her as its friday russian water day, and my supplies have been used up. sign off for now regards charlie