DPF Problem

Mickiep

Has anyone experienced the DPF message telling you your filter is now full?

I have given the car a 25-30 min blast in 2nd gear (just on the red line edge) but the message is still there.

I called the maindealer and some guy there claimed that it required a diagnostic check to establish if the problem had actually been

cleared and it just needed a reset or worst scenario the filter needs replacing which apparently is very expensive, close to £2K I'm told. 

My car is a 60 plate 3 litre diesel which due to circumstances beyond my control has been exposed to mainly town/rural driving in my

6 months of ownership. :(

Thank You....Mick.

Hi Mick,

I am guessing that it is a reset that is required.

I don't know what the cost of having the filter cleaned, but I do believe it could be worthwhile.

I have a little chore that I do at least once a month  ---   Taking my S Type [2.7D]  out for a 40 mile run --  it just needs to be over about 35 mph about once a month, which appears sufficient.

My neighbour has a Mazda 6 that kept dropping into limp home more when he was coming back from his house in France, so he a DPF removed after several such experiences.

Regards,

Peter.

The DPF message is incredibly common - and irritating.

You need to run the car for around 20 mins minimum at around 50 mph.

The message should clear next time you start the engine.

Getting the filters cleaned and reset at a Jaguar dealer isn't cheap, but it's really worthwhile.

We had our XF done a few months ago and town driving mpg went up from average 26, to average 31.

Also, the car feels more responsive.

If you can't clear the message, get the filters cleaned and reset pronto.

There are a couple of intercooler valves that can become troublesome otherwise, resulting in a total engine shut down and a MEGA bill.

We know - that's what happened to us but luckily the car was still under the Jaguar full warranty.

No cost.

Roy.

Peter,

Would Mick benefit fro the Terraclean thing that you suggest to a lot of peeps?

ATB,

Trevor

Trevor, 

The Terraclean cleans up the engine, glow plugs, injectors etc, and I am also told that the EGR valves will benefit too.  I do know that there is also a service which will also clean out the DP filters.

I had a problem with the EGR valves which I appeared to rectify by a few miles and a blast with the "S" button pressed down.  As Roy says, the message disappeared the next time I started the engine.

But the big issue with the DPF is prevention rather than cure.

I will check on the service that regenerates the DPF and get back.

Regards,

Peter.

Peter,

Don't know much about devil's fuel vehicles but from what peeps say they seem to benefit from "opening up the taps" from time to time .

ATB,

Trevor

Yes, Trevor, a good blast occasionally does help.  One of the things you have to do with cars which is enjoyable.

Peter.

Hi Mick

I have a 3ltr 2009 Premium Lux and only do Town driving.Normally the DPF  clears after the recommended run but on one occasion it did not clear after 30 mins on the motorway and the car was stuck in safe mode ie no kick down and get you home power with the warning still displayed ( worry time ££££ ) I stopped the car and double locked it which shuts every thing down then restarted it 5 mins later and every thing was back to normal.That was about 800 miles ago so fingers crossed.I have been putting a dop of Red x DPF cleaner in with the fuel and so far so good,I asked Jag about the DPF  and how people got on on the Isle of Wight as I assume they sell cars there where a 20 minute blast over 40 would be near on impossible.Awaiting reply.

cheers Alan

Much appreciate all the responses from you guys. The car is booked in for this Friday at the main dealer.

I too had the old 'S' button engaged and locked in 2nd gear for 25 minutes (58mph) but the DPF message wouldn't play ball and continued to display. However I have to admit with not being a mechanic or having an awareness of what could happen with these sophisticated diesel engines I have learnt a great deal from the experience - I just hope a new filter is NOT required to rectify the problem ££££.

Strange isn't it that the salesmen never make you aware of the possible shortcomings.. 

Cheers All...Mick.

• Like 1

Mick,

Couldn't you fine a mechanic that is cheaper than the main dealer , they try to give you all the old B******S that they're indispensable,

but I can promise you they're not .

We have a list of recommended independent garages somewhere on the site (can't remember where, sorry) . i'm sure there must be one near you.

ATB,

Trevor

• Like 1

Hi Mick, If you google the DPF you can find garages that will remove them completely for about £250.They were a government

idea to keep emissions down and I assume to show we are toeing the European line, the car will still pass the emission test for the MOT and no drop in performance .My XF is 5 years old now so I think this is the route I will go down.

cheers Alan

Sorry....

You're very wrong.

DON'T have the DPF removed.

It is now not only an instant MOT fail, but it is also a criminal offence.

New legislation early this year.

The DPF thing is a flippin' nuisance, but it isn't confined to Jaguar.

All new diesels have them, and have just as much trouble.

Have a read:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-rules-for-mot-to-test-for-diesel-particulate-filter

Keep it clean, keep it checked.

Should be no bother.

Roy.

• Like 1

Much appreciate all the responses from you guys. The car is booked in for this Friday at the main dealer.

I too had the old 'S' button engaged and locked in 2nd gear for 25 minutes (58mph) but the DPF message wouldn't play ball and continued to display. However I have to admit with not being a mechanic or having an awareness of what could happen with these sophisticated diesel engines I have learnt a great deal from the experience - I just hope a new filter is NOT required to rectify the problem ££££.

Strange isn't it that the salesmen never make you aware of the possible shortcomings.. 

Cheers All...Mick.

Hi Mick,

When I bought my S type, the salesman did mention the DPF.  I had also seen an article in a newspaper that a driver of an newish XF was told by the main agent that he drove too slowly which was the reason why his car was continually going into limp home mode.  I also knew a mechanic [in the sixties] who used to work for MANWEB --Electricity Board  -- that when a certain lorry came in for  routine service one of the mechanics used to take it on to the Chester by pass to give it a good hours blast as the particular driver never went over 30 mph.

I am possibly a traditionalist but I do believe that when a good engine is built it has been made by experts and needs little or no improvement.  The 2.7 diesel engine used by Jaguar and Land Rover was designed by Peugeot and Ford as a joint venture and is a rather splendid piece of machinery.

Regards,

Peter.

Hi Guys again,

Well after browsing the internet early this morning I managed to locate a company in Nottingham just 5 miles from where I live called MGC Servicing and I spoke to the manager Mike Clay about the issue with the DPF. What a great guy...His knowledge and expertise was just the ticket. I drove my car over there for it to have a diagnostic check and to have put right whatever was wrong.

I arrived there at 12:45 and by 2pm I was on my way home..The total cost (£50)..I was even allowed to see the results of the diagnostics by the technician and none of this cloak & dagger nonsense.

So now once again I'm a happy chappy and after a sharp learning curve I feel I now know a little about the prevention which will hopefully avoid the cure!!!

Cheers....Mick

• Like 2

I now take my 2.7xf for a 20min run every fortnight (I'm a towns driver). First time I had dpf warning I ignored until I googled it. Then I had to take it for a 20 mile run, then a 40 mile run, then another 40 mile run before it cleared. Persevere before paying a dealer to look. Diesel cheaper than they are

I know 'stealership' is the current phrase, but maybe I'm lucky......

I get my cars (XK and XF) looked after by Marshall Jaguar in Ipswich and they are ace.

No massive bills, no exorbitant charges, they treat me 'special' and they even gave a massive bouquet of flowers to my wife when I bought her XF.

A full diagnosis cost me £38 some time ago. Not exactly expensive, and They made me coffee while I waited as they washed and valeted the car!

They even left a tin of Jaguar sweets in the glove box.

To me, that's REAL service.

One of the reasons to own Jaguar.

Roy.

• Like 1

Roy,

Well you must be lucky that's all I can say ! most dealerships ., not just Jaguar , charge well over the top for both parts and labour , and if they were so good independent garages would not exist .

Of course they give my wife flowers, and sweets,and make coffee and wash the car;but who do you think pays for it?

I am not alone in my thinking, other people, not only on this forum will tell you what a rip of they are .

I now get my jag serviced superbly at a trustworthy independent garage knowing that I'm not being taken for a ride .

To me that is REAL service, at a fraction of the cost, and I haven't got to make a 140 mile round trip to get my head filled with nonsense and lies .

ATB,

Trevor

As I said at the start of my message....

Maybe I'm lucky.

Marshall Ipswich has always treated me well. - And no, I have absolutely nothing to do with them other than being a happy customer.

When our XF DPF played up, the car went into 'failsafe' mode on a Sunday afternoon, 10 miles from home.

They sent a recovery truck which took the car home, then the AA who diagnosed the problem.

The following day, another truck picked the car up and they left a 6 month old XF in it's place.

The car was sorted, returned (clean and valeted) and there was ZERO to pay.

We had owned the car 6 months - a 4 yr old 2.7 diesel.

My XK was bought 'elsewhere' 3 years ago, and Marshall's treat it as if it came from them, new.

If it has ever needed work, they collect it from my house and leave me a courtesy car.

It comes back sparkling and clean inside, and the bills aren't a rip-off.

To me, THAT is Jaguar service.

As I say - maybe I'm lucky.

I've had (new) Fords etc in the past and the service doesn't even compare.

If others here have had bad Jaguar service, then what can I say???

Marshall Ipswich are tops.

When the XF gets a bit older, I'll be going there for another car.

Roy.

You have had a good experience, Roy, with that dealer, who is doing what Main dealers should be doing.

I have been using a mobile mechanic for all work done on my cars ever since I retired 15 years ago, without complaints.

Having had company cars for 30 years, with a proviso that they must go for all servicing at Main Dealers I have come across a few very bad ones with who I have had to take drastic measures, one of which was block the entrance to his premises until he rectified the fault that was still there after the car had spent three full days with him on three occasions.  By the same token, I have come across some very good ones.

I have used on particular main dealer to buy several cars from and would be inclined to go back there.  When I bought my S Type I did go to that dealer but they could not get the one I wanted.  Another very big main dealer was able to get one for me, and were very good.

You can only go on experiences you have had. 

Regards,

Peter.

• 5 weeks later...

here's what i noticed when my DPF warning came on....

driving along and DPF warning came on so went for a drive to see if it would regenerate...

nothing changed next day driving along set the cruise control and the warning instantly went out not sure if setting the cruise tells the car to regenerate????

could be complete coincidence but it hasn't been on since...

Rich