DPF Problem

Mickiep

don't know peter, suppose its the modern way, like you I would rather do it myself but with new cars you cant, you have to start the car let it run for 5mins then switch it off stand for 10-15 mins then go throu settings to see the Oil level, it will then show you the level or tell you of how much Oil to add, it says on my hand book Oil should only be changed every 16,000mls, also found out  that Jaguar have changed oil co, from prev recommending Castrol 5w30 . they are now on to shell c1 5w30 low ash for diesels, helps with the dpf

Oils are getting complicated, Joe, as are engines.  I think that the eventual idea from the manufacturers is that they sell you a car, and when it breaks down, they exchange it for another.  All you will have to do is give them some more cash.

My Canon Printer which I bought 15 months ago is now obsolete.  It had an error code, and I took it in to Currys, and as I had taken out repair or replacement warranty, they offered to replace it. The problem was that they did not have a similar model to replace it with. They will have one somewhere that I can get, but odds on it will be £60 dearer than mine was. 

Peter.

yeah know what you mean peter, its like buying a new tv.  after 6moths  its obsolete newer models getting produced all the time cars seem to be the same. just heard on the news alarm bells ringing concerning the economy again

yeah know what you mean peter, its like buying a new tv.  after 6moths  its obsolete newer models getting produced all the time cars seem to be the same. just heard on the news alarm bells ringing concerning the economy again

Without being political, people spending money gets the economy going in the right direction and if people are unemployed they have less money to spend.

I was just a simple steelworker, but I note that the price of steel has come down from £433 an ton to £195 due to the Chinese flooding the market. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi all

I've been very strongly considering buying an XF recently but whilst doing some research I've come across this potential issue with the DPF and it's given me some doubts.

The reason being that I live 7 miles from my office with the bulk of the journey being in relatively slow moving traffic. How often would I have to take it out onto the motorway for a decent run to minimise the risk of issues?

Thanks in advance

Hi Alex,

I have had my s type  2.7D for two and a half years, and most of the 7000 miles i do a year is mostly short journeys, with probably a longer one about once a month, and I have never had a problem with the DPF.

There are also several products available to clean the DPF, although I have never used them.  Giving the car a longer run occasionally means basically you to do about 45mph for about 15 minutes after the car has warmed up.

There is quite a bit of scaremongering about the DPF, but I have only come across one diesel owner who has had a problem with the DPF and that was a Mazda, not a Jaguar.

Regards,

Peter.

What a load of garbage.

I've had my XF for 2 years - trouble free, amazing smooth executive classy ride.

EVERYONE who gets in it is wowed by the quality.

Just look at a Mercedes or BMW - Total cheap plastic rubbish interiors.

I took a BMW 1 series 'M' model for a test drive only a few weeks ago.

I was gobsmacked at how cheapo it all seemed.

Fast? - yes.

Lots of toys and gizmo's? - yes.

Quality? - NO.

The XF has bad press over the DPF because of new ruling on emissions, meaning the filter gets full up after about a month of town driving.

I take mine on a run on a nearby country road at about 45mph literally for 5 minutes.

The warning message disappears.

When you see the 'DPF FULL' message, don't panic.

It doesn't mean your car is about to explode in the next 2 miles.

Obviously, don't ignore it, but take it for a little blast within the next day or so.

The guy above must either have been incredibly unlucky to get a bad car, or has never even owned one.

Ace car. Why did it win countless awards for years if it was so bad?

Hi Richard...I absolutely love my XF for many reasons, however if this is the only mileage you are likely to be clocking up then buy something else.

The DPF will be a problem to you especially if like mine its the 3 litre (which incidentally accelerates like you would not believe for a car of its size). These cars 

are really built for the high road not the low road although a mixture of the 2 is fine. As regards unreliability I have had no issues whatsoever in 25 months other than 

the DPF which requires you to travel at a constant 70mph for about 20 miles which then clears out the filter. (Do not thrash it as some folk seem to advise).

Just one other thing don't expect good mpg figures if your town or short run driving...(28 mpg max. and less in winter)

Hope this helps.....Mick

As an add-on...

I agree re: the fuel consumption.

Ignore any 'official' figures.

Mine is mainly town, short journeys.

MPG is around 26-28 mpg.

On a good long run, it can go right up to the mid 40's.

If you're ok with the fuel aspect, a great car.

Mind you, the fuel seems ok to me, as my other car is an XK - around 14 MPG.

Generally speaking, if you buy an early model of a car it can have teething troubles, whereas a later model will probably have those issues dealt with.

There are always Friday night cars and  there are about one in a thousand of them.

It does not mean that if you have problems with a car that all of the models made by that manufacturer are bad.

Peter.

• 4 weeks later...

I've had my XJ Sovereign 2.7 diesel (x358) for three and a half years and 20,000 miles and didn't even know that I had a PDF until my son's Volvo had a problem which developed on a long run down to Devon and cost him over £2,500 for a new PDF.

Having spent all that money he then sold it and bought an S type which developed a PDF problem and had it changed. Now 2,000 miles later 4 hours into a long run to Wales the 2 lights came on, it went into limp home mode, he called the AA who hooked up a laptop and cleared it. It appears that his engine management unit does not automatically clear the DPF.

Having researched prices on the web, I see that new PDFs are only circa £150. Is this correct and has anyone changed themselves on either an XJ Sovereign or an S type?

Hi Bairiki,

There is a page in the S Type handbook [153] that refers to the Diesel Particulate filter, and how it will regenerate.

Basically, if you give your car a good run every few weeks the filter will regenerate and burn off the soot particulates inside it.  When the engine reaches its full operating temperature about twenty minutes at a speed over 30 mph should do the job.

I ensure that I do that, and luckily in two and a half years I have never had the warning light on for the DPF.

I have heard that Post Office drivers have an afternoon every month when they have to ensure that the DPF is regenerated bu either taking the van out for an hour or running the engine for a similar time at revs over 1200 rpm.

Regards,

Peter.

Thanks Peter,

Following his experience with the Volvo DPF which failed on a long run he is aware of the need to give his Jaguar a good run, but the problem still occurred and he is wondering if the firmware on the EMS which was upgraded when he had the DPF changed is suspect.

Regards,

Baihaki

• 1 month later...

Well well well, I have a 10MY 59 plate 3.0 just ticked over to 90000 miles, DPF full alarm came on in December, no Amber warning just straight to red. Just after dealer warranty ran out. Got it into the local large independent they diagnosed 89% full and gave option of deep clean or replace as regen wasn't possible. I went for a replacement part at a cost of £1100. Got the car back and for a while it was ok but then I noticed a blowing from the front of the exhaust. Booked to take it in yesterday however during the wife's journey from work after her night shift guess what? Yep the red DPF and EML light on again. They had the car yesterday and replaced the two exhaust clamps which were causing the blowing but they said there was another air leak somewhere in the induction system which they said was preventing the car doing its own regen and preventing them from doing a forced regen. There was only just above the min mark on fuel. They had the car again today (after I'd put 25 litres of fuel in last night) but couldn't find any leak, they said there was a slightly floppy turbo pipe which they have now supported (cable tie) and have also done a regen and reset with reading now at 0.1% and it feels ok to me now. I think they couldn't regen yesterday due to fuel level. 

The wife has an 8.5 mile journey each way to work and when the kids are at school 6 round trips a day of 2.5 miles. 

I can tell by the mpg reducing and the smell of the car when it's doing (or at least trying to do) a regen, I'm quite sensitive to this since December so notice the mpg reducing. 

My questions:

Would the blowing exhaust and or dodgy turbo pipe have prevented the regen cycle from performing correctly? 

Taking acount of the mileage and usage how often would I need to activate the regen cycle? 

I know it's a boring subject for some but it's starting to turn into an obsession of mine. Thanks for suggestions / advice. 

Hi Chris, 

I don't know why the region cycle was not performing properly  --  can't even guess.

I make sure I do a longish run - about 15 minutes at over 40mph AFTER the engine has got up to normal operating temperature  --  about once a month. I'm well retired so a decent pub lunch in Derbyshire, or a trip to an English Heritage/NT property usually does it.

Regards,

Peter.

Ok so firstly a leaking induction system will cause the dpf to fill up rapidly as this will create smoke and soot (could have been the original problem) the size of the engine and type of dpf should last the life of the car so long as a decent run is done now and then you could have been ripped off I'm afraid

Hi Shooter, yes I wondered if the leaking / not quite right induction would be the original root cause. It certainly sounds different now, no blowing and also does sound quieter on the induction. I'm wondering if they're not telling me the full story. 

I'll ensure weekly or fortnightly long steady runs and keep a close ear open. 

On 7/30/2014 at 7:10 AM, Mickiep said:

Has anyone experienced the DPF message telling you your filter is now full?

I have given the car a 25-30 min blast in 2nd gear (just on the red line edge) but the message is still there.

I called the maindealer and some guy there claimed that it required a diagnostic check to establish if the problem had actually been

cleared and it just needed a reset or worst scenario the filter needs replacing which apparently is very expensive, close to £2K I'm told. 

My car is a 60 plate 3 litre diesel which due to circumstances beyond my control has been exposed to mainly town/rural driving in my

6 months of ownership. :(

Thank You....Mick.

I'll throw in my 'two pennies worth' 1st Jaguar diesel handbooks state do not use biodiesel. 2nd A pure white derv is near impossible to find at the pumps. Supermarkets thou doing nothing wrong as they have to conform to the relevant British standards blend high amounts of bio to fuels to keeps costs down. Unless your doing high speed driving each day high levels of biodiesel will eventually kill the DPF plus using a high content blend of bio will give less mpg. I always buy a branded quality diesel and not from the 'city diesel' pump plus ever 2nd tankful use a Millers diesel additive.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I am having this problem at the moment. Only had the car 3 weeks and the light came on the day after I had it. A 25 minute blast on the motorway cleared it the first time. Last weekend I drove from Birmingham to Nottingham for the night. The next morning when I started it up the dreaded DPF full light was on. I was expecting it to clear on the way home, but it didn't happen. That evening I drove to Tamworth and back and still the light had not gone off, despite driving in lower gears. On the way back I added some Wynns DPF cleaner which a friend recommended but it still didn't sort it out. Taken it back to the garage today and luckily they have agreed to get it sorted without any issues so far.

It seems a common fault on ones around this age. I was wondering whether anyone knows whether the DPFs on the more recent cars are any better, and whether it would be possible just to change it? Im considering spending the money just to save having to keep worrying about it.

Hi Dan, and welcome to the club.

I am guessing your car has the 2.7D engine, which is the same one that is in my S type.  I have had not had any problems with the DPF despite only doing short runs in the main.  EGR valves getting sticky, yes and easily sorted.

Keep us in touch with what the garage says  --- with luck they might replace it.

Regards, 

Peter.