XF reliability

lesbev

Was looking at changing my x-type for an xf, but just read a report that said the xf and xf sport brake are the most unreliable of all luxury cars. Anyone having problems with theirs?

leslie, dont no what report you read but the xf changed Jaguar for the better. i have never driven one but all the reports i have had were good. ive owned lots of cars over the years and when a car company produces a new model . it usualy takes them 2-3 years of production to iron out any probs,and the reports and mags that i have read say the opposite , about the sports brake. and the new xf. my car is my first Jaguar and wont be my last. my father always wanted one but could never afford one, ive manneged to get one for my retirement presie to myself and hope in 20 yrs my sons will be on the ferrari forum atb charlie

Hi .

I have just sold my XFS Portfolio after three and a half years of driving pleasure. The only problem I had was a noise at the back of the car which was caused by fuel surge. This was rectified by Jaguar and I have had trouble free motoring since then.

I replaced this car with a new XFS Portfolio last week and it has a number of improvements including a new 8 speed auto gear box and body styling.

Great car and would recommend it to anyone. But go for the bigger engine models...........

Leslie,

I have borrowed three ( i now have a XKR) , I think they are fab. They have come top for the last two or three years for customer satisfaction , and it is easy to see why.

Why not go on this report instead?

http://newsroom.jaguarlandrover.com/en-in/jaguar/news/2014/05/jag_jd_power_whatcar_release_290514/

ATB,

Trevor

Hi Leslie,

I have read quite a few Which Reports on various topics, and Which do cover a very wide range of things and run many surveys.  However, when a survey is done there is always a percentage variant which some surveys discount as the lower the number surveyed the good surveys could well be written by an employee and the bad by a very articulate but nitpicky customer.  If only 10 people are survey the figure could well come out at 50% satisfaction.

The What Car survey is taken from 150,000 people which is extremely high and is very reliable, and I would be inclined to go with that.

George has also given a recommendation which also tallies with the driving experience of other members who have bought the XF. I would also go with George on the choice of engine, as I feel that the two smaller engines slightly under power the expectation of a Jaguar Driver.

Regards,

Peter.

Leslie,

I might add that in the last three years I have had two BMW's, Two Aston Martins, and two jags , have test driven Mercedes and Audi, and in my opinion the Jags are head and shoulders above the rest .

There must be a reason for vastly increased sales and a swelling workforce. If the Jags were unreliable surely this wouldn't be the case .

The two XF's I borrowed while the Astons were in their favourite haunt, the workshop were the XF 3 litre diesel, which was superb (and i cannot stand diesels), and the XFR-S which was the five litre supercharged engine best suited for the sort of people who get caught doing 52 MPH on a tandem ! .

It was after driving these that I made my mind up my next car would be a Jag, I have now had two, and can honestly sat that I cannot see myself buying another make of car !

ATB,

Trevor

leslie, bms are boring and rubbish audi looks not mutch better wats left mercs are the best of that lot, but jags are the best by a mile. take a xf for a test drive, ps it will tow a caravan no probs you can visit trevor and you would be able to park the caravan and xf in trevors drive, hes partial to scones and cream teas regards charlie

Charlie,

We had 400 of the blooming things parked up last Saturday due to an accident ! and loads more on the way down this morning ( that's why I avoided the M5 and used the A 303) . Leslie is from Somerset so he knows what I'm on about .

But the XF's are fab Leslie

Charlie, this will interest you; I have the Dynamic R

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/luxury/motoring/23361/jaguar-xk-the-thinking-man%E2%80%99s-jag.html

ATB,

Trevor

Charlie,

No need to upgrade, The XK is a fab car in itself . Also, you should have known better than let the wife choose the car, and especially a Vauxhall, surely you could have picked her up a cheap XF?

The car ran fab down to London Village for the gig on Friday, I drove straight back afterwards ( 450 mile round trip) . The reason I did so was because Saturday is change over day for the holiday makers and you really don't want to be driving down to the West Country on a Saturday morning as the M5 is more like a car park ( the A303 isn't much better) .

ATB,

Trevor

god. trevor i thought you wer only kidding about the caravans, if its as bad as you say no wonder your complaining. the xf is automatic trevor she wont touch them, old fashioned. yes im very happy with my xk. but you know wat like it is after a while you fancy somthing diffrent, i could buy a xkr but the pension budget would be blown. charlie

Peter,

It isn't the caravaners that cause the hold ups on the M5. the jam was all the way from Exeter to Bristol yesterday, it is just the volume of holiday makers in general, and most come on Saturday mornings as it's change over day.

But caravans in general really are a nuisance down here as the roads are just not suitable for them .

But saying that, the tractors, horses, cyclists , and the yokels who just can't drive don't help matters either .

Charlie,

I felt the same about automatics, but I wouldn't have it any other way now, and especially the paddle shift which I vowed I would never use . Let the wife drive an XF and she'll want one, after all, it's got to be better than the vauxhall . Why do you need two cars anyway?

The best answer is to sell both, get an XKR for yourself, and a bus pass for the wife

ATB,

Trevor

peter & trevor just back from a wee drive with the wife and the xk, found ourselfs at taggarts just after closing time today (they close at 5 on sunday) that way you get peace to look about see wats ther. wat we doing here she asked just having a look dear see whats ther. haha didnt see any xkr trevor, but i have to in form the both of you on this one, my pal has a motor home its a nice one but its 4berth hes asked me to look on the web for a 6th berth one newer model than his current 08 plate so the serch begins charlie

I have driven automatics extensively in the USA and when I retired I bought a Rover Sterling -- all the bells and whistles and automatic as standard.  I kept it for 11 years before I bought a Jaguar with a manual gearbox, which took some time to get used to.

My s type which I bought when my first Jaguar was stolen is an automatic  -- it was a bit like coming home.

Peter.

Peter,

My first automatic was a BMW 320 M sports which i bought just before I retired as  music researcher three years ago .

As it was being explained to me my thoughts were "I've got to work in Minehead tonight, that means up and down Porlock Hill (the steepest "A" road in the country) and coming home over Exmoor in the dark" I was very apprehensive to say the least .

When the salesman explained I could use the paddle shift instead that didn't allay my fears, I just couldn't see me using them .

But to cut a long story short I don't know why I was worried , it was remarkably easy .

I love using the paddle shift on the XKR, and use them all the time, I think the days of the gear leaver are are nearly over , I would even prefer to use mine in fully automatic mode to a manual box now .

You will get the old school that will say "but you can change gear quicker manually" , this might have been true years ago, but i don't think it is any more .

I know your wife doesn't like the XF because it isn't manual Charlie , but explain to her that modern cars don;t have cassette players in them either .

ATB,

Trevor

• 3 weeks later...

kevin she wont touch automatics shes a stubborn old hen that way. i should have never have sold her wee merc manual ,but it was just sitting ther and i hadnt long bought the jag so was bitten by it driving it all the time. but a two seeater job is not practicall. we have my mother who is in her eighties and two dogs so it was very stupid of me to sell the merc at 36,000miles to go and buy a insignia 6mths later wich i use as the daily runner round. but we all make mistakes. charlie