door locking problem s type 2000 3.0

bonnietiler

Hello again the car is generally behaving itself just treated it to 4 new Pirellis! But it has just started a locking problem, after about 30 seconds of driving the central locking locks all the doors, I believe that this is normal? But.... Sometimes the doors won't unlock by use of the internal handle

and the only way to escape is to wind the window down and insert the key into to external door lock and open it manually..... Very embarrassing any ideas?

Any help much appreciated

Brian

Brian,

Peter will be back from the rugby later and has an S type and will probably be able to help you .

I've had a quick look round and the general consensus seems to be a liberal spraying of WD 40 !

Found this:

" The problem with the central locking is also quite common, try looking at each internal latch in turn when you lock the car, if one stick in
the unlocked position, the car will unlock itself. If one sticks in the locked position, it will lock itself. Sounds like you may have one of
each? Sometimes a squirt of WD40 to the mechanism will help but a search on here will provide much more information."

ATB,

Trevor

Rugby tomorrow, Trevor, but I think you have the right solution.

The doors on the S type do lock automatically at about 4 mph.

Look out for me tomorrow on the TV  --  I will be wearing a Black and White jersey.

Peter. 

Peter,

I do not have a telly, only do live stuff .

What position are you playing ?

The correct sat nav disc copied ok and played in my car, so it should be fine for young Steve down in Cornwall land.

ATB,

Trevor

Hi, my S type also keeps you locked in. Once moving central locking applies. You should have a button with key on at bottom line of switches on central consul. I'm waiting for my personal Jaguar mechanic( hubby) to give the locks a tweek. They occasionally work when she's in a good mood.

• 5 years later...
On 8/10/2014 at 7:46 AM, Morse Dreaming said:

Hi, my S type also keeps you locked in. Once moving central locking applies. You should have a button with key on at bottom line of switches on central consul. I'm waiting for my personal Jaguar mechanic( hubby) to give the locks a tweek. They occasionally work when she's in a good mood.

My 2003 S type occasionally refuses to unlock from the inside via the handle,always unlocks on the dash button ,I am certain its down to battery voltage,although the battery is newish,the car spends many days unused and the problem resolves itself after decent run.

It looks as if I am going to have to part company with my car after four years ,having difficulty getting in and out,so if anyone is looking for a 53 S type ,BRG with 126000 on her back fsh two owners including me.This car will mark the end of my Jaguar ownership going back to my Mk eight.looks like it will have to be a !Removed! Civic !!!!

Mike

• 2 months later...

Hi. Also having an issue with drive away autolocking on my 2002 V6 SE S-Type.  I can lock and unlock central locking using the internal driver's button.  However, if I drive away and the autolocking locks the car I cannot unlock it using the internal driver's handle or button, I have to lean across and open the car using the passenger's internal handle.  This has only started happening in the last 5 days.  Is there a way I can disable the driveaway autolock feature (tried the method mentioned for xfs and that hasn't worked) or is there a simple fix?  As I said, I can lock unlock fine from the inside driver's button and handle, unless it's the autolock feature that's locked the car.  Handy with spanners but have always struggled with the dark art of electricity

• 5 months later...

I am at the moment trying to solve a problem with my right hand side rear door not opening either from inside or outside or the fob,I had problems with this door in the past but then it was not opening on the fob or from the outside handle but it did open from the inside handle and I was able to remove the various assemblies and found that the cause was where a flat bracket and a flat metal lever that attached to it by a spindle had because of their close proximetary  {bad design} actually touching had managed to rust solid together I managed to separate and free the two and oiled liberally and every thing worked fine and now I am thinking that it has happened again but now I am struggling to get the door open even after removing the door card and the outside handle nothing seems to want to release the latch despite my liberal oiling in the past

Anybody know an easy way to flick the lock open from the inside