Problem at the factory?

Phill5

Hi all,

I have just joined although I still haven't had my new XF yet.

It was due to be delivered mid Sep but still no sign and the factory will not tell anyone why???

What is going on?

The Sales Manager can't find out so I rang the Customer Relations and they said they can't find out either. They said no Jags are leaving the factory at the moment but they couldn't find anyone to say why.

I just don't believe it.

Anyone any ideas why?

I seriously wanted my new Italian Racing Red XF by next week as my daughter gets married next Friday 10th.

Seriously gutted if it is not delivered by then.

Phill

Hi Phill, and welcome to the Club.

I do know that talks with Unite about pay are underway and have been adjourned for three weeks as from today, but there is no indication about any industrial action of any kind and work is going on as normal.

I do know that when there is a glut of cars on the market due to low sales that can be a reduction in production, but I also know that demand for Jaguar Cars has not diminished, rather the opposite.

The Birmingham Evening Mail reports nothing about Jaguar other than what I have said.  And I do have some connections with the Unions at Castle Bromwich and can tell you that nothing is awry.

I can guess that your local dealer made a promise he cannot keep.  I live only 6 miles from Castle Bromwich, and other than a 4 car pile up closing the M6 is the only news from that area today!

I would have a discussion with your local dealer asking for a loan car for the 10th and see what happens.  Tell him that the company will get mentioned in your speech and that information will be passed on to the press!

Regards,

Peter. 

Thanks Peter.

I spoke with Customer Relations lady who said exactly the same thing the Sales Manager said.

No cars are leaving the factory!!

They don't know why.

I smell a large rat somewhere.

As a newbie Jag owner to be it's not getting off to a good start for me.

Cheers though

Phill

Hi Phill,

I will try to find out a little on Monday by using the old boys network.  I have been retired for 15 years but still have contacts in the automotive industry who might give me some information not from Jaguar Management.

Meanwhile, if you were nearer, i wold volunteer my 7 year old S Type!  It has been used before!

regards,

Peter.

They probably forgot to order the blinking thing in the first place Phill, people error

Welcome to JOC by the way, you could always ring the factory and check it out first hand just to put your mind at rest, having said that I'm sure Peter will let you know if it's right or not.

As for not getting off to a great start my good man, don't forget that's a showroom/Garage not the car, once in a Jag!!!

cheers for now

Bryn. . .

Hi Phil,

I have had a few enquiries and find no explanation for  what your dealer says.  None of my contacts seem to know anything about cars not coming out of the factory as they are still coming off the production line without any hiccups.

Short of sitting outside the factory gates [not difficult with the massive roadworks at the moment] I can think of no other solution.

If you have a firm date from the dealership I would ask for an appointment with the Managing Director.

It could be that the particular dealer from whom you have ordered the car is not getting cars delivered to him for some reason only known to the MD.

Sorry not to have been able to find out more.

Regards,

Peter.

Hi all,

Thanks for the interest and suggestions. Peter, many thanks for your offer. They have now given me an XJ for the week for the wedding.

Not what I ordered but at least we have a lovely car for the day.

I have a contact at the Customer Relations at the factory who tells me there is an issue with my car (along with several others) but she can't find out exactly what that issue is. Having been in Banking for 36 years and where Customer Service is openly transparent I find this closed shop attitude incredible.

Tell the Customer what is wrong and face the music rather than keeping it under wraps causing more frustration and resentment than is really necessary.

I'm told it may take 3 to 4 weeks to fix (whatever it is).

I'm still a Jaguar fan , of the car that is, and I still can't wait to get my first car.

I'll just have to be patient a little longer.

Cheers

Phill

Phil,

Well that is a bit better, the XJ will make a fab wedding car (see the pic of mine in the gallery) .

It is beyond me why they didn't tell you the truth to start with, it it had been me that had been kept in the dark, I would probably have a Mercedes by now .

I presume it was the stealership who gave you all this nonsense? they make me want to spit !

Anyhow, at least you're making progress, all rather underhand, but as long as you're happy(ier), that is the main thing .

Pic of my XJ Superpsort used for a wedding last Christmas .

http://www.jaguarownersclub.com/forums/gallery/image/389-car/

ATB,

Trevor

Hi Phill,

Glad it is sorted somewhat.  I am guessing that a quality check has found a minor fault in a component from a supplier  ---  both suppliers and assembly do have fairly strict quality controls, which is good.

I agree that telling the truth in the first place does often prevent bad feeling later.  I worked in the Steel Industry almost all my working life after my small accountancy business was not getting customers due to my refusal not to condone practices that the Inland Revenue [as was] would not approve of.

I hope the sun shines on your daughter's wedding.

Regards,

Peter.

Hi Phill,

Glad it is sorted somewhat.  I am guessing that a quality check has found a minor fault in a component from a supplier  ---  both suppliers and assembly do have fairly strict quality controls, which is good.

I agree that telling the truth in the first place does often prevent bad feeling later.  I worked in the Steel Industry almost all my working life after my small accountancy business was not getting customers due to my refusal not to condone practices that the Inland Revenue [as was] would not approve of.

I hope the sun shines on your daughter's wedding.

Regards,

Peter.

Hear hear...

cheers,

Bryn. . .

Xf and Freelander as they share the 2.2 diesel engine, However not sure if they export to UK or weather we still assemble our own...

As thats why they assemble there so as to supply cheaper motors to their (Indian) market, ie  no import duty...

cheers

Bryn. . .

peter. thought the xf and xj were made in india ????

No Charlie.

Castle Bromwich is still the prime factory for the XF and XJ, and will remain so.  They do assemble some in India for the Asian market, but I am sure that the engines and most components are made in the UK.

Jaguar have also bought a large piece of land next to the Castle Bromwich site which they will used to expand production and build new models.

Peter.

Hi Charlie,

The XJ and XF are having booming sales in China, as well as in India, and TATA motors have built a new assembling line in India which will save a lot of money in import duty and cut costs significantly, as parts to be assembled do not carry as much import duty as a assembled car. [That is why MG is now assembling cars in the UK rather than in China].

The XF and XJ models to be assembled in India are being fitted with a 2.2 litre diesel and a new 2.0 litre petrol engine which is being made at the Wolverhampton Factory built by TATA over the last two years.  TATA are copying Ford [bridgend] which Engine Plant is now providing 20% of engines used in the UK [ It could even be Europe but I am unsure].

The local press had some very good articles on the move at the time, but since that the sales of the XF in particular have increased tremendously, and the new XF will be manufactured in the UK and will make its debut in New York in 2016.

I would also make a guess that if the new XF takes off in the USA in large volumes, then TATA will take advantage of the unused capacity in the USA to assemble some cars over there, too.

Birmingham is still the British Motown!

Regards,

Peter.

peter  i google it up, the xf ,xj,and freelander are made in india for the indian & far east markets. charlie

That's right Charlie, but not for the UK.  The main reasons for assembling in India were cost and the fact that they needed the capacity in Castle Bromwich for the booming UK market, and especially for the new XF and the XE.

Peter.

trevor mine was made up here. i phoned callum told him i wanted one. no probs he said will bring a couple of the boys round and they assembiled it in the back garden. that way it wasnt getting built down ther. charlie

jag_zps31f3d2fa.jpg

Charlie,

I'd heard you had a couple of lads round to build yours , Was a bit dubious of mine being built up North at first, but in all fairness Peter's friends did a good job, apart from I can't find how to cool the seats, only heat them.

ATB,

Trevor

haha good one peter. peter ive got a kilt and its a good one cost me 300quid many many years ago. got the belt & a red bent buckle with the thistle unusal. the socks, shoes, shirt even a dagger that goes down the socks originally used for killing the english haha but not used it in long time. was thinking of selling the things as hardly worn and the kilt is size 34. and im a 40 now so if you think it will fit you wee man you can have it as your already half scottish, charlie

Hi Charlie,

I would be assassinated it I wore a kilt round here.  The Suttonians  would think I was Bonnie Prince Charlie. Henry VIII gave the town a Royal Charter, and they are still Tudor  ---  even the Shopping Centre is called The Red Rose Centre.

Mind you I have not got knobbly knees and my Rugby Shorts still fit me, as do my cricket flannels from 40 years ago.

The dagger would be useful if my MP called me a plebeian, as he did the police when they wanted him to go through a side gate at No 10.  The Police let me through the main gate   ----  three times!

Peter.