Owner of Jag for first time - XJ

Ken,

Mercs have had a lot of trouble with the new C class though .

The wife wants one of these next year ( she always wants something)

http://www.romansinternational.com/news-article/365/mercedes-enter-new-territory-with-the-amg-gt

ATB,

Trevor

There is a good word to use sometimes.  It is "no".

Peter.

Peter,

Do you think I don't use that word (and in stronger terms, usually two words) ? Don't forget she is manic depressive, and if she wants something she doesn't any reason why she shouldn't have it .

She just tends to forget i'm boss at times !

ATB,

Trevor

Ken,

I will probably be battered into submission (and she can go on, it is all part of her illness) .

But in all fairness there are worse things to be pestered over, and it does look pretty impressive. She wants it as well as the Jag, not instead of by the way.

ATB,

Trevor

trevor, ive got to agree with kenny, we have had 5 mercs through the years and apart from a rear spring going in the last on HM s car c180 owned for 4 half years only a rear spring to replace. then this plonker (me) sold it only done 36k new shape. not darn things go wrong with them, they are very very well built. charlie

Charlie,

I'm not knocking Mercs, quite like them, tis just 'er indoors's spendthrift ways when she's not well that I'm moaning about .

I think that the AMG GT, looks a cracking car. I'm not so sure about build quality though , Merc have recalled over 8000 C class cars built this year over a steering fault ,which isn't good for a so called prestige car manufacturer .

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/mercedes/c-class/88981/mercedes-c-class-recall-over-steering-problem

ATB,

Trevor

If totally honest and knowing that the car would be for her who must be obeyed I would tend to push her into believing the A series Merc is the one for her. I think its a cracking looking car with a little more practicability than that of the C class but then, that my opinion.

Kenny,

Not really bothered about practicability as there's just the two of us. If I got her that, she's want something different a fortnight later, I just take what she says with a pinch of salt.

Before I got the XKR and still had the XJ Supersport , I took 'er to the Merc stealership in Exeter, but she didn't like any of them

ATB,

Trevor

Kenny,

Not really bothered about practicability as there's just the two of us. If I got her that, she's want something different a fortnight later, I just take what she says with a pinch of salt.

Before I got the XKR and still had the XJ Supersport , I took 'er to the Merc stealership in Exeter, but she didn't like any of them

ATB,

Trevor

I now the Merc dealership in Exeter I worked out of the City last year and was not impressed. There is a better dealership inn Taunton and a fantastic Merc Indy at Tiverton

Kenny,

My friend works at the Merc dealership in Nottingham ,and can get me cars at trade .

But i'm quite happy with the XKR at the moment , in the last three years I've had a BMW 335 M sports convertible, an BMW M3 convertible, an Aston Martin DB9 convertible, an Aston Martin DB9 Le Mans, a Jaguar XJ Supersport, and now this Jaguar XKR.  All cars chosen buy 'er indoors, and she's still not satisfied !

I might add, she cannot help it, it is all part of her illness, she even changes her clothes 20 times a day !

If I did get a Merc , it would be the AMG GT.

ATB,

Trevor

I looked around for a long time when my wife wanted to replace our venerable 1999 Rover Sterling with 125k on the clock and owned from only 8 months old for almost 12 years.

I eventually came to the decision that it had to be either the Mercedes E Class or the Jaguar S type.  I eventually finished up with a x type, as I could n't find the right E Class or S type.

I agree with Kenny that the new A class seems to be a cracking can for a second car    ---    but, Trevor, the new Jaguar XE is coming out in a few months and if ordered now you will have it for Easter.

Peter.

Kenny,

My friend works at the Merc dealership in Nottingham ,and can get me cars at trade .

But i'm quite happy with the XKR at the moment , in the last three years I've had a BMW 335 M sports convertible, an BMW M3 convertible, an Aston Martin DB9 convertible, an Aston Martin DB9 Le Mans, a Jaguar XJ Supersport, and now this Jaguar XKR.  All cars chosen buy 'er indoors, and she's still not satisfied !

I might add, she cannot help it, it is all part of her illness, she even changes her clothes 20 times a day !

If I did get a Merc , it would be the AMG GT.

ATB,

Trevor

Must admit though Trevor, fantastic choice. The hard top would spoil it for me though but thats because Im a convertible freak

Kenny,

I love convertibles also, but only the hard tops like the Mercs and BMW's use .

Main drawback is I haven't a garage; so if they go wrong i'm stumped.

The roof in The BMW 335 M sports went wrong (ex dem car) , and the roof went wrong in the Aston twice in the first month of ownership (only done 18000 miles).

'Er indoors wanted me to get the XKR-S convertible last month but as I said I don't trust the roofs, don't like rag tops . It was the same year as my XKR (two tomorrow) 2012, but they wanted my car, plus £19500 !

ATB,

Trevor

Kenny,

I love convertibles also, but only the hard tops like the Mercs and BMW's use .

Main drawback is I haven't a garage; so if they go wrong i'm stumped.

The roof in The BMW 335 M sports went wrong (ex dem car) , and the roof went wrong in the Aston twice in the first month of ownership (only done 18000 miles).

'Er indoors wanted me to get the XKR-S convertible last month but as I said I don't trust the roofs, don't like rag tops . It was the same year as my XKR (two tomorrow) 2012, but they wanted my car, plus £19500 !

ATB,

Trevor

Then out of personal choice I would be going back to my old SL55 (not sure what they are producing now) the AMG may be a 63 - 6.3 ltr

It was a superb car although going back a few years my old SLK32 (AMG) was equally superb and very powerful but Merc ruined that by upgrading to the R171 class which had a 5.5 ltr SLK55 (AMG) non aspirated engine which meant the older SLK32 R170 model was quicker than their new R171. Naturally made lots of sence

Kenny,

The AMG GT is 4 litre

" AMG have developed a brand new 4.0L twin turbo engine and ditched the 6.2L naturally aspirated V8"

ATB,

Trevor

About time Trevor, cannot understand why they went for the naturally aspirated V8 in the first place. It must of cost them a lot of sales? Twin Turbo tells me the first turbo coming in at about 1200 RPM's and number 2 turbo coming in at about 3000 - 3200 RPM that will be awesome 

Kenny,

I think it's the same engine that they're going to use in the Aston Martin.

ATB,

Trevor

Then I would suggest someone as done their homework! Mercedes and AMG spend phenomenal amounts of money on research developing their cars which obviously includes the engines and if it passes the Aston Martin test then I'm sure it's already been tried and tested on the track.

I have never been fortunate enough to have been in a position whereupon I could purchase a Aston Martin however, that said it was a toss up between the XKR and a DB7 when I purchased this one. I love the sound of the AS which is up there with the likes of Ferrari etc.

Kenny,

I think Mercedes will probably buy out Aston eventually as they are also going to do the electrics, which  will be a big improvement, and they need it .

I can honestly say the Aston Martins are the worst car I have ever owned . They are poorly built, not that fast, very unreliable, and have electrics that are out of the dark ages . I have never had cars (i've had two) which have had so much go wrong

The XKR is ten times the car that the Aston is in every way, I would pick one over it every time. And with the active exhaust it even sounds better .

The Astons are vastly overpriced and are outperformed by all the high end cars. a basic service cost £1125, and the DB7 needs servicing twice as as often as the DB9.

The Aston was meant to be my dream car, I couldn't believe I actually owned one when I sat in it. It has been the biggest disappointing in my life, next to seeing the Beatles live .

ATB,

Trevor

Kenny,

I think Mercedes will probably buy out Aston eventually as they are also going to do the electrics, which  will be a big improvement, and they need it .

I can honestly say the Aston Martins are the worst car I have ever owned . They are poorly built, not that fast, very unreliable, and have electrics that are out of the dark ages . I have never had cars (i've had two) which have had so much go wrong

The XKR is ten times the car that the Aston is in every way, I would pick one over it every time. And with the active exhaust it even sounds better .

The Astons are vastly overpriced and are outperformed by all the high end cars. a basic service cost £1125, and the DB7 needs servicing twice as as often as the DB9.

The Aston was meant to be my dream car, I couldn't believe I actually owned one when I sat in it. It has been the biggest disappointing in my life, next to seeing the Beatles live .

ATB,

Trevor

Thats so disappointing to hear Trevor, I have always dreamed of an Aston ever since a young lad in the early 60's and the most famous DB5 being about due to 007.

Like previously stated I was looking at a DB7 and love the exhaust note however hearing of your experience's maybe I have bought correctly in the XKR and should consider upgrading my exhaust to a custom built one, I have used Pro Speed in Cardiff in the past on my Mercs for Stainless exhausts and they have always met with my expectations.

Kenny,

There is a fuse you can take out which improves the exhaust note , Fuse 19 . When "fuse 19" is being removed make sure it is from the correct fuse box, i.e. the fuse box behind the centre panel of the rear seat.

ATB,

Trevor

Thanks for that one Trevor, may save some money on a fancy stainless exhaust with sport cats probably about 1K