Ernst33

Lovely spot and part of the world Trevor, looking forward to coming down. How come they are means testing you for you pension? You've earned that.  

Peter if you think I'd swap my Jag for a tractor you must be kiddin' but I see your point I suppose it's a feeling of power. 

Regards

Glyn

Lovely spot and part of the world Trevor, looking forward to coming down. How come they are means testing you for you pension? You've earned that.  

Peter if you think I'd swap my Jag for a tractor you must be kiddin' but I see your point I suppose it's a feeling of power. 

Regards

Glyn

Glyn, In 1984 the then Prime Minister decided that the State Pension should be taxed.  It has cost me about £1500 a year.

It probably costs Trevor the same. 

But talking about politics is against my rules.

Peter.

Glyn, In 1984 the then Prime Minister decided that the State Pension should be taxed.  It has cost me about £1500 a year.

It probably costs Trevor the same. 

But talking about politics is against my rules.

Peter.

1984 then being an Electrical Engineer for British Coal I can remember the then Prime Minister lets say no more before I'm reported however redundancy sent me to another world and I still had my NCB pension at 50

I don't mind my pension being means tested , I don't mind the carers allowance being stopped for looking after the wife ( who believe me gets unbelievably poorly ) I don't even mind still paying the full council tax.

But what I do mind is when I walk around town, and see the workshy , who have no intentions ever of working, getting a free living off the tax payer !

ATB,

Trevor

I don't mind my pension being means tested , I don't mind the carers allowance being stopped for looking after the wife ( who believe me gets unbelievably poorly ) I don't even mind still paying the full council tax.

But what I do mind is when I walk around town, and see the workshy , who have no intentions ever of working, getting a free living off the tax payer !

ATB,

Trevor

I totally agree with you Trevor however, I seldom get time to walk around town to see these workshy layabouts. I'm 58 therefore have had my mineworkers pension for 8 years however, I still work full time therefore it is taxed. I also have another pension however, cannot retire and claim a state pension for another 9 years because they changed the laws and upped the retirement age. I wish these lawmakers had some experience of working down the coal mines.

Kenny,

I agree, I'd also stop the work shy's dole and give them a "holiday" down the pits . I was brought up in the valleys so concur with what you say.

This is where I was brought up Risca (must be where Tom Jones got the inspiration for his "Green green grass of home") .

The factory with the smoke coming out is the local steel works, which was owned by my grandmother's family .

post-4098-0-66403000-1413693686_thumb.jp

ATB,

Trevor

Which Steelworks was that, Trevor  ---   there were quite a few round Newport.

I worked in the Steel industry for almost 40 years, and I must have been in most of them at some time or other.

I do think that those who make our laws should have worked for at least 10 years.  They have a term in the Steel Industry - "He has never seen a piece of hot iron" ,

And as for 1984, Kenny, I have a proper miner's lamp engraved with my name and the word "Solidarity" on it. I will say no more.

And finally, there are quite a few genuine benefit claimants who would prefer to work, but can't.  Unfortunately there are just as many benefit claimants would could work but won't, but who know their way round the system better than those who run it.

early morning mini rant over.

Regards,

Peter.

Peter,

I think it was just called Risca Steel works , but this is going back to the early 1900's.

I disagree with your point "there are quite a few genuine benefit claimants who would prefer to work, but can't." .

If people are fit enough to work, there isn't any reason why they can't get a job, the "immigrants" that they keep going on about seem to find work.

I've always managed to, as I'm sure you have .

ATB,

Trevor

Trevor, 

I sat as a Member of Social Security Appeal Tribunals from 1985 until the Lay members were abolished in favour of an outside agency [ATOS] in 1999. We had been given 3 years notice in 1996 that our services [unpaid] that our services would be longer required.

During that time I came across many, many appellants who were actively looking for work but by reason of their disability, which frequently was not apparent, failed to pass the ability to do some work of any kind test.  This was a clinically applied test, and if medical, was overseen by a doctor sitting as an advisor on the panel.  The test was very stringent and rigidly applied.

My brother, who worked all his life -  made redundant three times - had to stop work after a stroke and was unable to find a job at all.  He wanted to work but was unable to do so because employers said that he couldn't do any jobs they and available.

Contrary to that, there were those who borrowed a walking stick when appearing before the  Panel, those who had bad backs, and those who played the system.

I am left with the feeling that there are those who want to work but who can't because there is no-one willing to employ them for various legitimate reasons, as against those who can play the system,

Regards,

Peter. 

Peter ,

I was on about able bodied people. I'm all for people who are ill or have disabilities being fully supported .

But I don't believe able bodied people cannot get work if they really want to, they are just too choosy with the jobs they want, and are not flexible enough.

In the past i've even gone to Botswana and Libya to work .

I even went back to work six weeks (when I was allowed to drive) after I "flat lined" after a heart attack, and also had to look after the wife .

A lot of people these days are not willing to accept a bit of hardship.

But as I stated on another post, I'm probably too " Old School"

Your brother sums it all up, wanted to work after having a stroke, it is just how times have changed.

ATB,

Trevor

I understand that, Trevor.

When the old system of Tribunals [pre ATOS] existed not many, if any, malingerers got past the lay members.

The worst scenarios were in the era of mine and steelworks closures where there were many with non transferable skills over the age of, say, 55, who were turned down time and time again for jobs they could have done.  The then Government pushed both the British Steel Corporation and the National Coal board to pay pensions to those who qualified for one at the age of 50, usually without actuarial reduction in order to alleviate the benefits situation.

We are straying away from the topic, though!  Raps own knuckles!

Regards,

Peter,

Peter,

I understand all that, and the problems of those days where whole communities were thrown on the scrap heap due to closures (don't forget I was brought up in the valleys).

And there were great difficulties, but times have changed . I'm sure you have done jobs in the past that the little loves wouldn't dream about these days.

There is very little excuse for any able bodied person to be out of work  in this day and age.

ATB,

Trevor

Kenny,

I agree, I'd also stop the work shy's dole and give them a "holiday" down the pits . I was brought up in the valleys so concur with what you say.

This is where I was brought up Risca (must be where Tom Jones got the inspiration for his "Green green grass of home") .

The factory with the smoke coming out is the local steel works, which was owned by my grandmother's family .

attachicon.gifchannel view 2.jpg

ATB,

Trevor

When I left school at the age of 15 my Father asked me what I was going to do meaning where was I going to work. Typical 15 year old shrugged my shoulders and replied 'don't know'. He said "Why not go down the pit"? I said 'OK knowing that the money was far better than what my mates were earning as apprentice bricky's, chippy's, mechanic's etc and he told me to  go to the Colliery on Saturday morning.

I stood in the corridor with all the other hopefuls awaiting my turn for the manager sack um jack (jack Ellis) to call me in. When it was my turn he asked my name followed by any family working here? I replied yes and gave my Fathers name and he replied 'Your Grandfather was Joseph' I said yes and he asked if I was aggressive as him to which I replied no knowing the stories of my Grandfather and of him being a Mountain (Prize) fighter. He said OK start Monday to which point I replied 'but I want an apprenticeship as an electrician he replied with OK tell the training officer then who will arrange it for you

Kenny,

Similar story for me , although I became an apprentice sheet metal worker and welder when I was fifteen.

A scouse couple i know who have moved down here to be on the social at the seaside ( the decent northerners would have a fit if they saw the ones down here) are off to Cornwall for a weeks holiday tomorrow, and when they come back are moving into a nice two bedroom house (Sky and all).

Nice to know the tax payers money isn't being wasted. What ever happened to pride ?

ATB,

Trevor

Kenny,

Similar story for me , although I became an apprentice sheet metal worker and welder when I was fifteen.

A scouse couple i know who have moved down here to be on the social at the seaside ( the decent northerners would have a fit if they saw the ones down here) are off to Cornwall for a weeks holiday tomorrow, and when they come back are moving into a nice two bedroom house (Sky and all).

Nice to know the tax payers money isn't being wasted. What ever happened to pride ?

ATB,

Trevor

I know Trevor, if you drive around the most famous social housing estate in South Wales - The Gurnos (Merthyr Tydfil) I can guarantee you will not see a property without a Sky dish. You have to drive through the estate to get to Prince Charles Hospital and my good lady and I have often commented on the fact they cannot work but they can afford Sky.

We haven't Sky installed at our home but that is not really because we cannot afford it more so we don't believe you are getting value for money with films being repeated over and over. I do enjoy the football but not at that price therefore, we stick to Freeveiw and Terrestrial for our entertainment.

I was born in Merthyr Tydfil however, at the age of 7 my parents moved to Hereford hence I done all my schooling there until my Father decided to move back down to return to the coal mines where he could earn a lot more money.

I completed my apprenticeship including my HND by 1976 and was put straight into the coal face where I was earning £250 a week.

£102.00 weekly salary - £150.00 weekly bonus anyone working around those times would know that was an incredible amount of money to be earning more than the likes of solicitors, accountants even doctors in some cases. Got married in 1977 and bought my first house for cash, had to sell my beloved TR4 to help though :angry: