help Please! Performance Restricted Light + Other Issues

jotoro777

Hi, so I need a car and have an opportunity to fix a 2003 S-type V6 3.0L Jag with 114k miles on it.  I originally was looking to buy a cheap used car, but my sister said if I want to fix this car I can have it.  Now my problem is trying to figure out what exactly is wrong with the car, how much it will cost to fix it, and will this be a better investment than buying another used car for cheap (all I need/can afford) which will potentially come with its own problems.

So here is what the current problems with the car are:

1.  The engine light is on, and the car shakes when in park. When lightly accelerating the shaking abates, but there seems to be ranges of rpm's where the shaking picks back up.  If I accelerate too hard, usually surpassing 3,000 rpms, the car stops accelerating even though the engine sounds like it is accelerating normally, and the restricted performance light pops up.  If I ease up on the gas just a little, I can then accelerate more, and after a little bit the restricted performance light turns off.  The same thing usually happens after 35 mph, but if I accelerate very slowly it seems like i can get up there with no problems.

2.  The coolant reservoir tank is leaking out of the hose on the top.  This causes the low coolant light to come on after driving for a bit, and I must constantly refill it with antifreeze.  I was curious if this could be causing the issues in #1, possibly due to the leak breaking the vacuum seal in the tube and not enough fluid getting in?  I already ordered a new reservoir and will replace it as soon as it comes in, hopefully next week.

3.  About 6 months ago the car wouldn't start and it was brought to the dealer.  They got it started, and I don't have the report on me about what they fixed (will get it from my dad asap), but it didn't seem to have any problems.  However, the car was barely driven in the 6th months since it was brought to the dealer so we didn't notice these problems.

4.  Before we sucked it up and brought it to the dealer, we tried a local shop, who didn't really seem to know how to work on a Jag.  However their report claimed they read these codes: check engine po1647 po 755 upstream o2 sensors.  We declined to have them fix it, as the car was still running at the time, and when we brought it to the dealer they only focused on getting it started, so I believe they did not know about or fix the o2 sensors.

5.  Lastly, the A/C doesn't work and the vent on the left side of the driver seat constantly blows out hot air.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to try and include everything I knew so far.  I only need the car for driving very short distances in town, and if I can get it into good shape for less than $1,000 I think it would be worth it.  If anyone can help me it would be very very appreciated.

I believe the hot air blowing in is the control valve knackered

I would take both lamber sensors out dobt touch them as grease in your fingers can damage them Shen up to temp , leave them to soak in petrol tgen wipe with a clean rag ,

Lamber sensors alter the running of the engining to make it run as clean as possible , this is why there is normally a lamber sensor before and after the cat , if that doesn't work they will only be cheap on e bay last time I fitted one it was a 22mm nut , look for the 1st in the manifold and 2nd in centre pipe .

I would do this and the coolant 2 cheap flixs and see what it runs like

• Like 1

Welcome to the Club, Joseph,

Luke has given you some good ideas and is it always the best route to try the easiest and cheapest options first.

Getting all the jobs done will take some time, but driving an S Type is worth it.

Regards,

Peter.

Yes iv always wanted a jag my dad got an xkr and that gave me the push to buy the s type really nice car really comfy but takes the bends well , iv found you need to give it respect in the wet tho , I have drove old v8 bmw 5 and 7 and not as scatty in the wet , but it's a jag :)

You can buy code readers off eBay cheap which will clear and read codes may be worth you getting one because you need to clear the code and read it after to make sure you have fixed it

If you live near grimsby I will read codes for you for free hope this is a help

Yes iv always wanted a jag my dad got an xkr and that gave me the push to buy the s type really nice car really comfy but takes the bends well , iv found you need to give it respect in the wet tho , I have drove old v8 bmw 5 and 7 and not as scatty in the wet , but it's a jag :)

You can buy code readers off ebay cheap which will clear and read codes may be worth you getting one because you need to clear the code and read it after to make sure you have fixed it

If you live near grimsby I will read codes for you for free hope this is a help

Excellent advice Luke however there is no real need to purchase a good code reader when there are one or two available free to download. I would highly recommend OBD2 then purchase a suitable lead to USB. I believe the S Type has a 16 pin plug / socket and a simple search for 16 pin to usb code reader OBD lead on eBay will bring up many.

Just done a search for a lead and found this on Amazon which will even check if your car is compatable to the lead:.......http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable-409-1-Support-VAG-COM-Diagnostic/dp/B0035ZX6U8

Seach on the software:..........http://sourceforge.net/projects/scantool/

Yer it's just a standard port , il have to download that thank you kenny

I have just had mine on the ramp and it has 4 lamber sensors 2 in each pipe , I would clean all 4 tge sensors on the auto box are hard to access but have a good look if you can see and damp , I would check bell housing , outlet bearing and pan for transmition fluid leaks. This should be red and taste horrible.

May sound stupid when was it last serviced ? If it is only lamber sensors I would service it while you are mucking about including fuel filter and plugs if you don't know when last changed. An old fuel filter restricting flow can be a problem I had that on my first car I had

• 11 months later...

Hi Andy,

The plug for the S Type is in the left hand side of the driver's footwell.  Just sit in the driver's seat and reach down with your left hand just below knee height, and you can't miss it.

Regards,

Peter.

• Like 1