Bluetooth 'no phone' display

Rowley_1812

Afternoon all,

I've just purchased a really nice X-type 2.0 S diesel saloon on a '55' plate and am loving it.  Four days ago I surprised myself and managed to pair my iPhone 4S with the car and actually made some calls.  I think I read that each time I got back in the car with my phone it would pair automatically ... but no!  Two days later I get in and there's no pairing and when pressing the phone icon hoping to get 'SIG' message the display shows 'NO PHONE' and despite all attempts in my travels since the display refuses to change from 'NO PHONE'.  Meanwhile my iPhone is all set and wants to pair with the car again but cannot due to no 'SIG' display.  Incidentally this is not touch screen.

Last night I drove the car in the dark for the first time and it was evident that the lower screen (clock/phone display) was noticeably dimmer than the top screen, so much so that the content was difficult to read even when adjusted to full brightness.  I wonder if these two issues could be connected?

I shall be returning to the nice Independent Dealer who sold the car to me but in the interim went to my nearest Main Dealer to ask advice.  All they suggested was that I disconnect the battery for 20 minutes 'in the hope' that this resets the car's software and solves the problem.  Needless to say I've not done this as it's going to be down to the seller Dealer to sort out.

Over to you kind people.  Any ideas?

Rowley

Rowley,

I would try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes .

But go back to the garage if this doesn't fix the problem .

Which party of Surrey are you from ? I'm from Guildford and will be there Tuesday to see some music.

ATB,

Trevor

rowley&trevor. i know the basics for both mobile phone & internet. and to be honest thats all i want to know. one of my sons had to take pictures of my car and put it on the owners club for me. my mate has done well by me ie clearing out my old tools&equipment gave it to him as i couldnt be botherd putting on eBay hes had a few grand off stuff from me over the last 2 years since ive retired. charlie

Well chaps, now we know!  A battery disconnect for 20 minutes (well, 30 actually!) did the trick!  Bluetooth operational again.

Mind you, that doesn't solve the dimly-lit lower screen but I think I know a man who will solve that for me.

Happy Days.

Rowley

Rowley,

For some reason when problems like these crop up a lot of the time it is an indication that the battery is on it's way out . It is worth checking especially as winter is nearly upon us .

Winter check :

post-4098-0-30050100-1415632619_thumb.jp

ATB,

Trevor

• 5 months later...

I'm back again with this phone issue.  Any bluetooth experts out there?

It's now 6 months of trouble free driving in my first X-type ... and I'm still loving it.  My only cost has been £3.75 for a dipped headlamp Bulb.  Wonderful!

However, contrary to my own post of 10 Nov last the bluetooth phone issue is not fixed.  Service due soon when maybe a switched-on mechanic might be able to lend an ear and offer a solution to the problem ... a problem which is liveable with but nonetheless incredibly annoying!

9/10 times from start up the radio cuts out within 2 minutes (max) - stays off for no more than 10 seconds then returns - and the previously correct PHONE display changes to NO PHONE.  Oddly, after a further minute (max) the radio cuts out again for no more than 10 seconds - still NO PHONE.  The only way I can correct is to cut the engine, allow 10 seconds for speedo/rev counter arms to properly click/rest, then re-start (tricky if on the M25!).

Sometimes I have no problem after just one re-start and the radio doesn't cut-out and PHONE display stays and bluetooth stays connected; other times I've had to cut/re-start the engine as many as five times before I get my Bluetooth connection properly and permanently functional.

Incidentally, this radio cut-out/Bluetooth failure rarely happens once the car has been running beyond the 2 minutes mentioned above.  I know because I've timed it!  The radio always cuts within the first 2 minutes of starting the car.  It's almost as if it's teasing me ... bless it!

Ring any bells?  (Sorry ... no pun intended!)

Rowley

Hi Rowley,

The first thing to ask yourself is is the battery starting to lose power?  Jaguars do have a lot of electrical equipment on them and often the Computer will shut down operations which it thinks are unnecessary, such a the rear screen demister, the radio and things not needed for the car to run.

The second thing is fuses and earth connections.

Regards,

Peter.

Thanks for your kind input Peter.  Trevor pointed at the battery back in his 10/11/14 post but there doesn't appear to be a date on it (now there's something that would be useful manufacturers?!) and in fairness it doesn't look that old.  But having had the car just 6 months it's difficult to tell as I have no obvious starting, light dimming or other electrical problems.  Electrical connections behind the radio and on the stack in the boot also occurred to me and I shall follow up your advice.

Thanks again, kind regards,  Rowley

• 3 weeks later...

Same here ... on a 54 plate. I've had the car a fortnight and it has always said 'no phone' whenever I've pressed the button. I reckon the facility isn't fitted on my car. Strange that the handbook isn't very helpful in that respect.

On the other hand .... I can't be doing with phones in cars so it doesn't matter.

Same here ... on a 54 plate. I've had the car a fortnight and it has always said 'no phone' whenever I've pressed the button. I reckon the facility isn't fitted on my car. Strange that the handbook isn't very helpful in that respect.

On the other hand .... I can't be doing with phones in cars so it doesn't matter.Mu 07 plate

My 07 plate s type has avery good phone system, and very easy to use.  I used it for the first time in two years yesterday to ring home while in a static traffic jam to say I would be later back than I thought I would be.

What did we do before the mobile phone?

Peter.

The NO PHONE message seems to have kicked up a bit of further interest, but clearly if you don't have bluetooth fitted or don't match your mobile with the car then NO PHONE is all you're going to get.

The original posted problem of mine still exists ... annoyingly!  It's great when it works but I'm thinking there's a loose connection somewhere or maybe an earth issue.  I'm no electrical whizz so shall leave it to the bright boys to sort out on the next service which is due very soon.

Happy Days.

• 2 weeks later...

Some bright spark on the other meeting room ... you know, that JaguarForum lot ... suggested it might be a phone software issue.  I don't think it is but, interestingly, I'm due for a mobile upgrade so will do so before the service and see if that makes any difference.

And now that Summer seems to be making an attempt to influence our lives (and our cars!), maybe that will make a difference too!  Fickle or what?

Hey-ho ... Rowley

Afternoon all,

I've just purchased a really nice X-type 2.0 S diesel saloon on a '55' plate and am loving it.  Four days ago I surprised myself and managed to pair my iPhone 4S with the car and actually made some calls.  I think I read that each time I got back in the car with my phone it would pair automatically ... but no!  Two days later I get in and there's no pairing and when pressing the phone icon hoping to get 'SIG' message the display shows 'NO PHONE' and despite all attempts in my travels since the display refuses to change from 'NO PHONE'.  Meanwhile my iPhone is all set and wants to pair with the car again but cannot due to no 'SIG' display.  Incidentally this is not touch screen.

Last night I drove the car in the dark for the first time and it was evident that the lower screen (clock/phone display) was noticeably dimmer than the top screen, so much so that the content was difficult to read even when adjusted to full brightness.  I wonder if these two issues could be connected?

I shall be returning to the nice Independent Dealer who sold the car to me but in the interim went to my nearest Main Dealer to ask advice.  All they suggested was that I disconnect the battery for 20 minutes 'in the hope' that this resets the car's software and solves the problem.  Needless to say I've not done this as it's going to be down to the seller Dealer to sort out.

Over to you kind people.  Any ideas?

Rowley

im the opposite :lol: , my phone  connects every time i get in , im a taxi driver so don't want people listening in , handy when my bluetooth is dead though ;-)

Hi just joined the site today own a 53 plate with a single cd player in it and mine kicks up nophone all the time any ideas? 

Hi Thomas, welcome to the club :)

From what I understand, you get the "No phone" indication continuously?

Can your phone detect the car's bluetooth? If so, the problem is likely to be the Portable Support Electronic Unit, AKA the phone module. If you can't detect the car's bluetooth then I'd suggest the bluetooth module itself is at fault.

If it is the Bluetooth module, I have one lying around here somewhere.

Are you sure the kit was fitted to your car? If not it's no biggie to retro-fit.

Probably, like mine it hasn't got the facility. Last week I bought a plug in bluetooth to FM transmitter... neat unit with an LCD screen. However it came with a flexible mount between the lighter plug in and the unit head. This meant it collided with the gear stick. Cue hacksaw, soldering iron, digi meter and patience.

Job done now, looks OK and sits in the recess behind the panel. I wouldn't recommend the mod to that particular unit though as it's a bit of a pain. Still, I can listen to Spotify and take calls over the radio if I want to now ... all for twenty quid.

That modification sounds extremely cunning If I may say so Steve, although not short of a degree of anxiety when fitting it appears.  As my bluetooth is so unpredictable I now have an ear-piece jobbie in reserve or, failing that, using the speaker mode turned up on the iPhone apparently has a similar effect - so say the recipients of my calls.  But would so like my bluetooth to work properly though, it would make me feel more ... complete!