exhaust fumes in cabin s type diesel

stevieboy

Have not had anything too do with an S type however, sounds like you have an exhaust leak in the engine bay which is making its way into the air con and retrospectively into the cabin. Get it checked putt Steve don't need to tell youu how serious the consequences are here

I agree, Kenny.  The S Type diesel has an auxiliary heater that on a very cold start up may give just a whiff of diesel for about a second after starting the engine, but usually no fumes at all.

Get it checked out, Steve, as Kenny says.

Peter.

The Eberspacher aux heater unit is located on the front lower nearside with the exhaust outlet just in front of the front wheel, there was a modification from Jaguar which restricted the flow to the diesel fired heater unit, it was not offered as a free modification UNLESS it was within the warranty period.  It happens on my own S type, but to stop the fumes coming in the cabin while you are stationary, the button on the centre console which is marked for recirculate should be pushed and held for a few seconds, it will then beep to register that it is no longer on timer setting, as such this will close the outside air flap and only recirculate the air inside the cabin, as such this stops the fumes from the aux heater being drawn inside.  Hope this helps you and stops you spending money for no reason.  Kind regards, Simon

Hi Simon,

I have been using the recirculate button since this started to happen but must admit that i didn't know that i could push and hold the button and it would remain active rather than turning itself off. I will try this tomorrow when i use the car but can you tell me if i need to push and hold after each start up or will recirculate remain in constant.

Thanks for your reply mate

Much appreciated

Steve

Sorry but it does not have a memory function on the recirculate button, you will have to push and hold it till it beeps each time, don't worry it gets to be a habit in the end.  You can ask your Jaguar dealer (is it just me that hates it when people say JAG?) to do the modification or ask them to print off the mod for you and do it yourself.  The aux heater unit has what is best described as a Brillo pad which is what is used as the catalytic element for the heater to keep it burning without constant ignition, once the pad has ignited, it will self burn when the small injector nozzle sprays fuel on it, after a period part of the pads burns away and then the fuel supply ends up being too much for it, then you get the smell of unburnt diesel.  It can be corrected with a new burner pad, but as the aux heater runs so often being a cool running diesel engine, it will only happen again within a couple of years.  If you really want to do it however, find a Eberspacher agent and they will do it for you, or the restriction in the line cuts down the flow, failing all that, just push and hold the recirculate button each time.  Kindest regards to you all, Simon

• 10 months later...

Solved the exhaust fumes / smoke problem in my diesel.

Had the front bumper off today and the flexible exhaust pipe from the Webasto to the silencer was torn to shreds. 0.5m of 22mm ID flexible exhaust pipe costing a few pounds solves it :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hello ...i am new to Jaguar and now have an s type with the same problem as above so will try these tricks thanks. Mine occasionally also suddenly steams up through the windscreen demist system when engine is fully warm.....and at the same time steams through the outside bonnet vents near windscreen.....only noticed this when in trafic.

No sign of engine overheating whatsoever. So assume this also must be something to do with the AC system. Any ideas on that one ? rather weird and disconcerting although strange that it happens occasionally. thanks. Marcus

Welcome to the club, Marcus.

Some good tips already there and will probably sort your problem. I hope so.

On the AC problem I have never come across that one personally, but I think it can only be the AC.

Regards,

Peter.

Thanks Peter good to get a response so efficiently too.

Still not sure what is making the occasional steam exit trough bonnet vent. Only done it 3 times in 3 months noticed when in trafic. 

Will keep looking thanks Wilky

• 2 years later...

2 hours ago, Johnathome said:

Hi I am a new member and I have recently bought a 2007 s type jaguar 2.7 diesel and I am getting the same problem and I was wondering if you can turn off the auxiliary heater

Pull fuse 3 in the engine bay fuse box.

17 hours ago, Johnathome said:

Hi jazzman was hopeing it might just be the aux boiler which i could swich off I imagine the cat replacement is expensive and I believe there 2

Cheers

Yes John 2 of them,,i was lucky ,just 1 had failed,,but solved the problem.

Best of luck

• 1 year later...