a bit off a doo

jag2

hi folks i have been pondering this question to myself long and hard over the last few days and welcome your views, i myself find diesels smelly oily cars. and dangerous to the enviroment, as was on the news that diesel fumes can cause cancer. i am of the opinion that diesel should be scraped it is a by product off the  petrol making process . i have owned 2 diesels and 30 odd vans over many years and that my exp of them confirms that they indead are oily smelly things that should be banned. devils fuel as trevor calls them and hes right.  they are stinking cars that should not be onn the road. Jaguar was founded and became mostly popular because of the the e type a petrol car. the stinking old bangers of x and s types should be banned for health reasons. and are not in the class off the e type the xtype and stype are now in the scrapyards as soon will be the xf dpf filter trouble car long live petrol

Charlie,

Although my thoughts on diesel fuel are well known (just google world health organisation and diesel fuel) , what I find out of order is that governments have been promoting diesel vehicles as a cheaper alternative to the normal petrol vehicles for years .

I few years ago diesel was indeed a cheap alternative, but now it is dearer than petrol, and the gap is widening , and it is rapidly becoming an expensive option .

The worrying thing is that although people are finally realising just how unhealthy diesel fuel is, diesel owners will be made a scapegoat as an excuse for government to raise money.

There is talk of levying extra congestion charges for diesel users,and even suggestions that they shouldn't be allowed to drive past schools (that really was a suggestion on the radio yesterday) and I fear this could be the tip of the iceberg .

In the future if you are driving to the hospital in your diesel vehicle (paying extra congestion charges in the process), smoking a !Removed!, a bit overweight, for an operation, you will arrive skint, and be turned down .

Just off to hug a tree (in my V8)

ATB,

Trevor

I am not an expert in exhaust emissions, but I can say that diesel engines burn less fuel than similar petrol engines. and consequently less exhaust gas is generated.

The CO2 emissions from a petrol engine are a bigger cause of air pollution than the modern diesel engine, and in fact, the modern diesel engine emissions are not penalised as much as some of the bigger petrol engines who pay double Road tax than most modern diesels.  Road tax in the UK is based on exhaust emissions.

The biggest cause of pollution is the number of older vehicles on the roads which do not have the far more sophisticated exhaust systems than modern vehicles.

Peter.

Peter,

That just is not true .

Diesel fumes are lethal , this is why there is a higher death rate from cancer in lorry and coach drivers .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18415532

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2012/06/12/us-cancer-diesel-who-idUSBRE85B0ZN20120612

But the point i was making is that after years of persuading people it was a cheaper driving option, the very same people are going to be penalised .

Road tax should be put on fuel anyway, it is the fairest way .

ATB,

Trevor

I believe we all have our own individual thoughts in this matter. Obviously I have a petrol guzzling XKR and have had many AMG's equally which like the petrol although they are now rumoured that they are fetching out Diesel AMG's (how absurd) a sports car with a Oil burning engine  :huh:

I do however have a CLK270 Cdi which I use for work and cannot fault in any way. The performance is superb with the turbo and equally it returns an excellent mpg rate. On a recent trip to Kent I averaged 51.8 mpg albeit mostly motorway driving but then that is good for a ten year old motor with just over 80,000 miles on the clock.

peter, trevors right & to blow your c02 emissions theory out the water. i was pulled into a vosa emissions road side test 6mts ago. cop waived me in when driving the XK, the 2 vosa guys said to me DONT KNOW WHY HES PULLED YOU IN MATE COZ THIS IS A PETROL CAR. AT THAT one off them stuck the probe in the exhaust and told me & his mate, ITS the cleanest reading ive ever HAD 00.1 the road tax thing is just a gov rip off thing, ie big engine big tax charlie .

peter, if a car faills its mot coz no dpf filter in place. think buses&lorries will be the same , it should be the diesel s should be paying the higher road tax all that !Removed! they are pumping out thats why they put the fillter in em

joe blogs comes on the forum, hi im new to here ive just bought an oo x or stype 150,000 mls diesel its got this and that and this and that wrong with it. what the .#### does he wants us to say. prob the truth and its this look mate its a banger aye thats right a banger now take the !Removed! thing to the scrapie and do the world a favor

Charlie, the MOT covers a DPF removal, but it is a visual inspection.  If the filter box is removed and the innards stripped out, rewelded, and then the empty unit without the filtering elements put back, the MOT tester will miss it.

On lorries and buses only modern vehicles will have DPF fitted, whereas most of the older vehicles will not.. There is talk about London 'buses having a retrofit of DPFs and EGR valves.

Peter.

Peter,

In all fairness, I forgot to add, that the vibrations is a factor as well with lorry and coach drivers .

But diesel is very bad for you, but each to their own . I fear it is just going to be another stick for government to use .

ATB,

Trevor

The CO2 emissions in diesel cars are minimal, and that is why their road fund tax is lowed, whereas the nitrous oxygen emissions are greater but more controlled.

The diesel engine burns less fuel and need less maintenance, which is the main reason why us impecunious pensioners use them.

Peter.

trevor no point peters not listening, hes diesel d up the !Removed!. he would just be the same if it was a kia. at least the give you 7years warranty lol. charlie

trevor, am i right in thinking that its only the diesels cars that go into limp mode????? charlie

Charlie, All cars with and Engine management system.  My son has a 13 year old Skoda 1.8 petrol and limp home mode came on a month or so ago.

Going back to diesel fumes being carcinogenic, the World Health organisation, in the same article, cites wood dust as more concinogenic.

Peter. 

Charlie,

There is "I've got your number written on the back of my hand" by the Jags .

But there are loads.

" With the calm of command the Jaguar waits" - "Jaguar" by Fred Small

The Who also did a song called " Jaguar" , which includes the lyrics  " The radio blasting, the girls are glancing,The dash is dancing with gleaming dials. Grace space race. Grace space race. Jaguar, Jaguar, jaguar, jaguar."

But I'm a retired music researcher now

ATB,

Trevor