Help Needed with X Type starting problem

Rich and Karen

Can anybody help me?

We have recently bought an 04 plate 2.0 ltr Diesel X Type which served us very well on a trip to Cornwall for a fortnight in September clocking up well over a thousand miles without so much as a hiccough.

on returning to Gloucestershire there were a couple of times that the car struggled to start but fired eventually and ran trouble free for a few days then repeated the struggle.

Two weeks ago the car DIED. All lights on the vehicle show that there is power in the battery but there is nothing getting to the starter motor.

Time for professional diagnosis.

Professionals say that the diagnostics are showing that the immobiliser is showing that the car is stolen and nobody seems to know what to do next.

Can anybody help???????

Thanks in anticipation

Rich and Karen.

Rich and Karen,

How very strange, sounds like a fault with the immobiliser , have you a local garage or friendly mechanic who can help ?

Also, Peter and others highly recommend Terraclean for diesels, which gives the engine a really good going over. Peter will give you more details .

Who are the "professionals" just out of interest?

If you scroll through these pages you might find a recommended independent in your area

http://www.jaguarownersclub.com/forums/topic/7304-recommended-independent-garages/

Hope you get the problem sorted shortly, were those two stripped jumpers for sale on eBay yours ?

ATB,

Trevor

Hi Knightsmith

The first person to look at it was our son inlaw who admitted he didn't have the necessary software then the AA who were next to useless. We then got hold of an auto electrician from a mobile company called Mottec automotive who did all the diagnostics and was absolutely brilliant but said he had never come across this problem before and has gone away to research it.

And no the stripped jumpers are not ours lol.   

Rich and Karen,

You are obviously being punished for not visiting me in Devon on your way down to Cornwall land .

But you will sort it, how about disconnecting the immobiliser altogether until it's sorted ?

Are you any Relation to the Miles family in Devon, or the Miles Tea people in Somerset?

ATB,

Trevor

Rich and Karen,

Just a thought, perhaps the key has developed a fault and the wrong signals are being sent to the immobiliser and needs reprogramming .

Have you a spare key you could try ? .

It is just a thought, and I am Devon"Clutching at straws" champion.

ATB,

Trevor

Hi Trevor and thanks for taking the time to try and help with this

We have tried the spare key with the same results.

I am the Gloucestershire clutching at straws champ so I think we will get on fine.

Sorry no relation to the Miles Familys of Devon or Somerset as far as I know but I could be calling in for coffee at yours next time i'm passing

Hi Rich and Karen, and welcome to the club.

I heavenly come across this once, and with great pleasure I can tell you it happened to Jeremy Clarkson.  He had just spend £250k of a wonderful high performance car with all the advanced bells and whistles, and he was driving it into London from Cornwall when his mobile rand [hands free of course] telling him that his car had been stolen and was moving towards South London.

Ford sorted it out for him of course.

I am inclined to go along with Trevor, but I would first try disconnecting the battery and leaving it for about 10m minutes which will shut down the ECU, and then start it up again.  All your setting will need to be redone, but it is quick and cheap. Make sure you have your radio code before shutting down.

Failing that, a local indie might do the trick.  They are usually better than  most main dealers and a bit cheaper.

Diesel engines benefit greatly from Terraclean which is really a decoke without taking the engine apart.  Just google it and see.

Peter.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Join The Club

Join the Jaguar Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

• Topics

• Our picks

• Simply Jaguar show at Beaulieu - Sunday 23rd June 2024
      Jaguar Owners Club have a stand at this year's Simply Jaguar event at the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, Hampshire on Sunday 23rd June 2024

Tickets are available online here: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar/
      • 1 reply
    • JAGUAR’S LAST PETROL SPORTS CAR: F-TYPE ZP EDITION TAKES THE CHEQUERED FLAG
      Jaguar is commemorating the end of its internal combustion sports car lineage in 2024 with an exclusive limited-edition F-TYPE inspired by two iconic 1960s racing E-types

Just 150 examples of the F-TYPE ZP Edition will be the last internal combustion-engined sports cars designed by Jaguar. These 575PS supercharged petrol V8 F-TYPEs feature specially curated interior and exterior details by the personalisation experts at SV Bespoke.
    • UPDATE SHOW INFORMATION !

Please find attached your club label – please can this be distributed amongst your club members prior to the event. Please ensure that they print this label and display it in their windscreen upon entry to the event, this ensures that all members wishing to park within your club area are directed to the correct parking location by our stewards. Please do not modify or add logos to the club label.

We do ask that all individuals have purchased their tickets on an individual basis in advance via our website, to speed up the entry process on the day. This can be done on our website here until 2pm on the day when admission closes: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar.

Note that we do have two entrances available, one is exhibitors gate at the bottom of the hill as you come in to Beaulieu, with the other being the normal Simply event entrance within the attraction. Either entrance is fine to use and both are open from 9.00am, with the exhibitors entrance closing around 11am.

Jaguar Owners Club (1).pdf
    • Simply Jaguar - Beaulieu Motor Museum - 25th June 2023
      Jaguar Owners Club have a stand at this years Simply Jaguar event at the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, Hampshire on Sunday 26th June 2023

Tickets are available online here: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar/

TICKETS & PRICES
      Participant prices are only valid if arriving in a Jaguar and taking part in the rally. They are not valid for those arriving on foot.

Participants can make the most of our EARLY BIRD discount by booking before 28th February 2023.

Children under 5 require a ticket, this can be booked online free of charge.

Participant and visitor tickets will include entrance to the rest of the Beaulieu attraction, including the National Motor Museum, Palace House, Little Beaulieu, World of Top Gear, Beaulieu Abbey and its grounds and gardens.

The best time for viewing the Simply rally is between 10am and 2pm.

Adult

Child

Participants – Early Bird*

£14.00

£7.50

Participants – Standard & On The Day

£16.00

£8.00

Visitors

Normal admission applies.

Normal admission applies

*Early bird tickets are available until 28th February 2023

VEHICLE ENTRY
      Entry with your Jaguar is from 9am – 2pm. Please make sure you have your ticket printed or available on your phone, ready to be scanned on arrival.

Please do not arrive early for our Simply rallies as no facilities will be open prior to 9:30am.

Cars cannot leave and re-enter the grounds for the Simply rallies.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

CLUB STAND ATTENDEE LIST

We do ask for a final update on numbers 2 weeks prior to the event following which we will send out club labels to you via email for you to then distribute out to club members. Club members then need to print and display these in their windscreen on arrival. This helps us then park you all in your club area together.

1. Trevor (admin)
      2.  Paj

• 5 replies
    • F-TYPE marks 75 years of Jaguar sports cars and its final model year update
      The Jaguar F-TYPE is the definitive Jaguar sports car from a rich bloodline spanning 75 years and including some of the most iconic models ever built

Forums

News

Membership