Hi folks, S Type wont start??

FatSam

This is my first Jag and I love it. My wife also loves it so she stole it, drove it for 6 months and broke it then gave it back to me. hmm..

So if anyone has any advice the problem is it started running rough at idle. Someone suggested idle sensor in throttle body. So I changed the whole throttle body and repaired a small coolant hose leak while I was there. Started the engine fine but did not run it for long because low coolant after repair so don't know if that problem is sorted yet. THEN

2 days later came back with coolant opened the car and an alarm went off, switched alarm off with key fob but car wont start. when I turn the ignition on I get dash lights and a flashing light in the middle of the dash by the windscreen. the car wont lock from fob also cant open the boot from fob or button in car.

I'm a bit stumped so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sam

Hi Sam and welcome to the club.

I am mystified, but inclined to start from square 1.

The Jaguar is a sensitive beast and like everything to be in place.  I am no expert, but just a lover of the marque, so I would disconnect the battery,  wait 10 minutes and see if it is back to normal.  If it isn't, then I would suggest the battery is not doing its job and would put it on charge.  These great cars do like a good battery, and if is failing it will start letting you down in other areas.

Next I would have the key fob checked out and possibly replace the batteries.

I am neither an electrical  or mechanical expert  ---   a damn good accountant, though ---  so I look for the cheapest solution,

Regards,

Peter.

I too was a bit mystified, Trevor.  My favourite tool is a lump hammer, but that doesn't work on electrical things.  You could be right on the problem with alarm, but resetting the ECU by disconnecting the battery should solve that.  The key fob too is a wonderful piece of enigmatic equipment that women do not understand, so it could be that.

Let us know how you get on.

Peter.

PS. My wife once bought a car because she liked the colour [bright green] of the seat belts.

peter. its to old, probly got over 100,000 on the clock its just going to fall to bits, the guys hand will never be out his pocket. he would in my opinion scrapping the thing its a banger, sorry but thats my opinion. charlie

It seems we all run bangers except for money man Charlie ??????

New cars break-down so I'm told .???

I don't know because I've never been lucy enough to own one + I think you loose more money the first year 

of ownership than any of these old bangers put together thats my opinion .

Frank

• Like 1

I agree Frank,  I only paid £600 and it is the most comfortable car I have ever driven.

Thanks for your help, I will try disconnecting the battery and charging it. Winter is coming fast so now is the time you find your battery is stuffed.

Thanks Again

Sam

Frank,

Both of my jags, were fairly new, less than two years old when I bought them, and they are the only cars I have had to call the breakdown services to (three times), the latest being my XKR, and they cannot get the (German made) part this side of Christmas .

So regrettably, i've told them they can keep it .

Sam;  saying that , I think the advice given about the battery would seem the obvious choice, in the Jag, a decent battery seems to cure a load of problems.

Hope you get it sorted shortly anyhow , I'm fairly sure it is nothing major.

ATB,

Trevor

hi frank and yes to your question , know how i got it. buy starting to work for myself &getting my !Removed! up at 4 and 5 in the morning and working till 8&10 at nite many a time i didnt get paid, but i made sure my workers did. drove old cars &vans for years it was all i could afford . i know what its like to be skint, and ive not forgot where i came from. so years later i done ok for myself .big deal i hear you say. i say stuff you.. sam came on here looking for advice.  i could skipped answering , and prob thats wat i should have done, but its an old car the guy has and he will just be throwing his money away my dad used to say tell every body to buy a car coz they will never have any. and yes new cars do break down. ive got one out the back its 11mth old and all ready its had a stearing pump replaced. i never meant to hurt the guys feelings . but realy i dont know what im doing explaining myself to you any way  notice you have one as well is it diesel ????

Hi Charlie  I'm sorry if I have upset you but if you give it out you have to be able to take it ---I also worked long hrs in all weathers Ive also had good times but

life didnt treat me too good--- never mind---it seems you a bit grumpy today so I wish you the best ..Keep smiling ...

My X type  is petrol Its done 123,000 miles .??

Frank

Hi Trevor,

Us Northerners [i am an Lancastrian in exile] are tough, and can take bad winters.  In Lancashire, and even Yorkshire where I worked for 12 years as a missionary, we made light of four feet of snow, and putting on Winter tyres and using snow chains was regarded as nesh [Northern word].

I does surprise me when Scots get grumpy during the winter.  Being grumpy about the weather, though, does not mean you can say something which could offend someone.  When someone asked for help in the winter, you get out the shovel from your boot and help dig him/her out.

I hope that this could be classed as a gentle comment that is understood.

Reagrds,

Peter.

peter, i never meant to offend the guy. was just stating in my opinion that it was & is a banger. to me that is the truth. he would be throwing his money away, after all its not a classic is it. to much plastic in it for that. regarding the SHOVEL it seems as if i am constantly digging out old bangers. have done my best to get you your christmas wish of the 4ft of snow for the birmingham area. (said a wee prayer to the big guy) oh sorry dont think im offending any one & hope not but last time i looked this was still a christian country.  charlie

thanks kenny, that is my intention come the spring, but unlike others my jags fine no problems at all, fingers crossed, so im not in a hurry to give more cash to the dealers,  i joined the club really for to take part in days out, but feel like stressed out gp.  charlie

trevor. i like the spring, dont like winter much cold&wet. but hope fully no snow, we never got any last year, and god willing he will give all that to peter this year he has a fondnest for in haha but as i said to kenny im in know hurry, trevor i know all cars break down bentlys rollers even mercs trevor, lol but as i said to kenny again all i seem to do on site is deal with problems no days oot,  so i am taking the doctors advice and taking a break from practical mechanics. ps have you got your trenchies dug rains on the way haha charlie

Charlie,

I know rains on the way, it always is down here, it never stops, but at least it's warm rain .

My daughter is a Doctor and she said " Tell that Charlie fellow to get his backside down here, or better still come to our rock and blues festival"

She will even give you a signed copy of her book if you speak to her nicely.

She has a Ford Focus by the way, but gets the train, offered to buy her a Jag, but she says the train is easier, as she travels all over the country, and is rubbish at driving .

ATB,

Trevor

trevor, she sounds lovely, tell her one day i will, if she has a focus she basiclly has a jag as ford made them, before i got the xk, i had expressed intrest in the xf, a friend of mine said its a ford mondeo with leather seats . i better fix the settings on here after that as inbox would fill up haha charlie