Advice needed please

Gary2008

Hi all,

I am new to the forum and would like to say hi and also ask for some advice please.

I am thinking of getting a S-Type 2.7 diesel auto and would like to know what faults to look for when I go looking at it.

Year 2005

Mil. 80000

Full service history

£3500

Thanks for any help given

Gary.

hi gary  welcome  old peter is far the best with the s/type when he sees this he will give you the best advice  you can also go to whatcar for full review TREVOR

• Like 1

Welcome to the Club, Gary.

The S type 2.7 diesel is a very good car, and the mileage is below average for the year.

The engine was designed in a joint venture between Ford and Peugeot, and went into the XF and the Land Rover as well as the S Type.

Personally I don't think the engine has any faults, although you have to give the car a long run --  about 30 minutes at over 50 mph after the engine has reached its normal operating temperature in order to regenerate/clean out the Diesel Particulate filter. [DPF].

Add to that, the diesel engine on all cars needs a bit of a burst of speed now and then.

There can be a slight water ingress into the boot occasionally which is cured by a few tissues to mop up any water that gets near the battery.

Your car has a full service history, which is good, but you should check out the battery itself as Jaguars have a lot of electronic wizardry and like a big battery, and when it starts to fail certain things [radio, demister etc] which are less important will switch themselves off, as it were, to save power,

Also, I think the cam belts need changing at 105k miles, and I would ask the dealer if that job has already been done [a bit cheeky].

The automatic gearbox is allegedly filled for life, although some members have had the Oil and filter changed at about 75k when they had had a judder or two, and that has improved the smoothness of operation.

The car has an electric handbrake, and I have had a couple or so "Handbrake Malfunction" warnings which can be rectified by disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes, which lets the computer reset when connected.  Make sure that you have your radio code.  You will also have to reset other settings too.

The engine has two EGR valves at either side of the V6 which recycle the exhaust gas which sometimes get a bit sticky and the engine warning light will come on.  You can either give the car a good blast [East Lancs Road or the Rainford bypass when quiet are good] or invest in a can of Wynn's EGR cleaner for Diesels.

All in all, the S Type is well equipped, handles well and has a great burst of speed.

You will enjoy it!

Regards,

Peter.

Lancastrian in exile. 

Thank you for the welcome Peter and the in depth advice on the Jaguar. I will be trading my mini Cooper in for it because I do over 250 miles a week and the poor mini is clocking up the miles. That milage is mostly motorway so that should help clear the throat of the Jaguar.

Thank you again for taking the time to reply.

Gary.

Long runs at a steady speed will get you about 45 mpg, Gary.  Around the city I get about 30mpg

I had my car given a terraclean service [cost about £130] which is the equivalent of a decoke which was really beneficial and driving up to Sheffield a week or so later mostly at 50 mph due to motorway speed restrictions I got 53mpg. and the round trip gave me 49.8 mpg.

Something I should add is that the 2.7 diesel has two turbochargers, with the second cutting in at 2000 rpm, around 70 mph, so if you are looking to save fuel stick to circa 68 mph.

Another thing I should have said is that you should avoid supermarket fuel and stick to forecourt diesel, and now and then treat the car to some of the more expensive diesel. You will get better mpg.

Regards,

Peter.

• Like 1

Hi,

I have picked my s-type up today and wow what a car. 80,000 miles and still drives like a dream. So smooth and silent you would really struggle to say it was a diesel. The only downside is one of the key fobs isn't working but at least that's the only problem I have found.

I will read the manual for a couple of hours now to see if I can work out how to set the memory seats, pedals and steering column.

Thanks for the advice it really helped my choose this wonderful piece of engineering Magic.

Gary.

I still read the s type owner's manual, Gary.

After leaving the car unused for three days, when I started the engine I found that the handbrake was stuck on, and the engine amber warning light came on.  After fixing the handbrake I plugged in the OBD2 code reader and found P0402 --  EGR valve, which has yet to be done. Wynn's EGR cleaner will have to be brought into use!

Always something even it is just giving the car a good valet.

Peter.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Am i right in thinking that a 2005 diesel s-type does not have a DPF if the chrome exhaust ends are turned down to the road?

Welcome to the club, Simon.

I think all the 2.7 diesel engines on the S Type do have a DPF fitted irrespective of the exhaust end bits.  I do know that you can buy a DPF for a 2005 S Type for £455.

If the DPF is removed it is an automatic MOT failure, although, as it is a visual inspection, some owners have had the DPF removed and the filter casing rewelded and replaced.

But, the main thing about the S Type is that it is a great car to drive and looks like a Jaguar ought to.

Regards,

Peter.

Hi Simon and Gary,

I have had a good look around re DPFs and find some contrary views.

Jaguar - in their S Type Handbook say that all diesel engines are fitted with a DPF.

There is a comment on another forum that Jaguar S types with two turned down exhaust pipe do not have a DPF fitted.

A further comment says that Jaguars with a model year MY2006 - MY2008 have a DPF fitted.

Also models with a VIN number N50727 to N82818 have a DPF fitted. [My car's VIN number starts N83]

The S Type was manufactured when the company was owned by Ford, and Ford are not noted for putting too much effort into statistics, preferring to devote their time to engineering and making cars.

So I am now mystified, too

Regards,

Peter.

Peter,

It may be helpful to look up the history of the 2.7diesel  engine because ,as you are probably aware,it was a joint effort between companies...

Hi Simon,

The 2.7 diesel engine was a joint effort between Ford and Peugeot, and also went into several other JLR models.  When I was researching the S Type after my x type was stolen, I had a long look at what were the best models to buy for a pensioner.  A friend one told me the best cars to buy of any brand were the ones made at the end of a production run was all the problems should have been ironed out.

A lot of people were surprised when Jaguar uprated the engine for the XF and other models in 2009/10.  I think it was to compete with BMW.

There is little said though on exhaust/filters etc.

Peter.

Hi Simon,

It certainly cut emissions and also increased the speed of the car via more use of aluminium.  But Autocar also makes the point that the Sales blurb at the time compared the XF 3.0D favourably with the BMW 5 series.

It will be interesting to see the full range of engines being made at the Wolverhampton Factory going into the XE and how they perform on the road.

Pter.

Hi all,

I've been in touch with my local Jag dealer today who told me the DPF wasn't introduced until 2007 on the stype diesel. If this is right then only the latest stypes where fitted with them.

Regards ,

Gary.

Hi all,

I've been in touch with my local Jag dealer today who told me the DPF wasn't introduced until 2007 on the stype diesel. If this is right then only the latest stypes where fitted with them.

Regards ,

Gary.

Hi Gary,

I think [and I think Jaguar agree] that the DPF was fitted in the S Type 2.7D from 2005 until discontinued in 2007/8.  There was a recall by  Jaguar  of S types made between 2005 and 2007 to correct an issue regarding the overheating of certain DPFs.  A total of 82 cars were recalled.

The 2.7D engine was in production between 2004 until the 31st March 2007, and to meet Euro IV emissions the DPF was fitted from January 2005. [Engines already manufactured we installed in S types till discontinued, and some XF models until the 3.0 litreD was introduced

Their is a VIN Decoder available on the internet which indicates emission requirements for your particular car.

My car came off the production line on the 13th March 2007 and was registered on the 31st March 2007, although it is classed as a 2008 Model.

Regards,

Peter.

P.S.  Simon has posted some very useful information regarding emissions and Euro legislation.