Installing a CD multi-player

DO55MAC

Can anybody advise on how easy it would be to retrofit a multi-player CD holder in the boot of my Sovereign? Will I need a loom or are they pre-fitted? Also, can I cut out the boot liner myself or will I need to buy a pre-cut liner? Once again, all advice greatly appreciated; thanks in advance.

Hi Paul,

Being as your car is a 2007 model I would guess that there would be the proper wiring connections where the CD would be.  I think it would be quite an easy operation to undo the liner in the boot to check that out.

You could cut out the necessary space, but I would be inclined to see if you can get that part of the boot liner from either a spares dealer or even somewhere like BreakerYard.

Regards

Peter.

Thanks Peter.  Is there anyway of identifying the exact particular part number of the multi-changer I would need?  I have checked on that well-known auction site (other auctions sites are available!!) and there seems to be a multitude of multi-changers available!  For example, would an XK8 multi-changer fit straight in, or would I need to know the loom code first (assuming one is fitted)?

Cheers,

Mac

Hi Mac

There are a few sites that quote part numbers, although some of them are from the USA.  Try JagBits UK or Just Jags.

I am no expert but I would expect items such as CD interchangers to be similar across years of manufacture, bearing in mind that with the s type, x type, and XJ, the models with the touch screen have the satnav disc holder in the same compartment as the CD interchanger.

Petr.

Can anybody advise on how easy it would be to retrofit a multi-player CD holder in the boot of my Sovereign? Will I need a loom or are they pre-fitted? Also, can I cut out the boot liner myself or will I need to buy a pre-cut liner? Once again, all advice greatly appreciated; thanks in advance.

Hi

You say that you have a Sovereign, I take it that is has a factory fitted sat nav & phone in the boot? If so with some trimming you don't have to replace the carpet but it would be an idea if you had a template to go off. There should be enough room in the rack to accommodate the CD player but if not you will need to replace the rack for a taller one. Being a sovereign, loom wise, it should have everything there ready to plug in but possibly it might need a trip to your local Indy to reprogramme just to tell the brain that it has now got a CD changer fitted. The only other thing is that the D2B fibre optic cable loop will have to be extended to include the CD changer, slightly fiddly but not too difficult.

I have all the parts you may require including the CD changer. I see that you are not a million miles away from where I live in Sheffield. I don't want to seem like I am just touting for business on my first post but I can help you or am also happy just to offer advice if required.

Regards

Bezza

Hi Bezza. 

Gutted - I was in Sheffield yesterday (Meadow Hell!!).  My car has the sat nav and telephone as factory fits, and I have had a quick peek behind the trim and see that I have a double stack tower, with sat nav in the upper tier and a space below that I am assuming will accommodate the cd changer.  I will have a closer look later to see if I can find any wires, but would you know if I need a specific cd changer or would a generic Jaguar one suffice?

Can you PM me with a rough price to do the work? 

Cheers, Mac.

Hi Macc

If you're going to take a peek at the wiring just a tip. When they were assembled at he factory, the looms were put into the cars and any unused plug connectors were usually wrapped in foam and then pushed through holes in the bulkhead to put them out of the way for the next stage of assembly. What you will be looking for (assuming that it has never been touched since the factory) is a fairly thick (about 12 wires +-) going off the main loom into a bulkhead gap if you pull that out of the gap, remove the foam you should have a multi-pin plug connector (can't remember the colour) it may well be even marked with a white factory label saying CD Changer. If you've got that you're in business. Your car being a Sovereign, I'd be very surprised if it hasn't got it.

From the description of your mounting cage, you are sorted on that score.

If you give me 20 minutes or so I will PM you on what parts are needed and prices.

Bezza

Hi Phil.

Thanks for your message.  I took a few (poor quality) pictures behind the boot liner this evening and noticed a loom with a yellow label with the letters CD DJ written on it; would this be the loom for a CD changer, and if so would it simply plug into a unit? I didn't notice this until I downloaded the pictures so didn't get a picture of the connector, but will try to get a better picture tomorrow.

You mentioned a fibre optic cable - is that contained within this loom or is it a separate cable altogether?  I also noticed a cable with what looks like a 3-way connector stowed away - is this anything important?  As mentioned in a previous comment, there is a CDC button amongst all the other buttons on the touch-screen console so I'm hoping this should go relatively easy!!

Cheers again

Mac

post-6259-0-38026000-1421275299_thumb.jp

post-6259-0-99813200-1421275519_thumb.jp

Hi Mac

Thanks for the photos. The black 3 way connector is a power supply for retro-fitting accessories such as a power point for a fridge, you've also got one hidden away behind the glovebox- nothing to do with the audio system but useful to know about in the future should you need to add anything.

The cable that you have photographed is a fibre optic cable. The way the FO system works (bit long winded this) is there is one behind the dash that connects into you sat nav head unit all information passes down that cable to the rear and back up in a loop to the dash. This isn't power but digital signals currently carrying sat nav and phone information. What will have to be done is the FO are arranged in a daisy chain and if you were adding a CD changer, digital amp or voice system then the loop has to be extended. There are two ways of doing this either 1) Prior to fitting make up a daisy chain on the bench taking into account all the systems fitted. These have to go in a set order so on entering the boot is Cabin in>CDC>Phone>Voice>Nav>Amplifier>Cabin out- that is the full order but where something isn't fitted then it is simply dropped from the chain. 

2) do it on the day. Preferred way would be prior number 1, the reason being that this is a fiddly job and one best not rushed and working under a magnifying glass under good light is just easier. Then on fitting day, the old FO is simply unplugged and the new plugged into your existing system and additions.

What you do need to find is the power loom for CDC and as I said before this will be a clump of about a dozen wires of different colours all connected to a multi plug and probably wrapped in foam and pushed out of the way behind the inner wing.

One other thing that occured to me is that as your car is a Sovereign, I take it it has piped leather seats? The reason I ask is that most Sovereigns came with the premium sound set up that included a digital amplifier in the boot. If it's got the amp, then this is part of the fibre optic network and has to be taken into account when building the daisy chain. If you're not sure you can ring Jaguar customer services 0845 3032 303 and they will get the factory build sheet of your car and email it to you- it tells you everything you need to know on there usually and is useful to have anyway.

Anyway I'll wait to hear from you.

Regards

Phil