XF ENGINE SYSTEMS FAULT WHEN ACCELERATING

Glencoco

Hi guys after any help I can get,

2009 3.0d Prem Lux

I have a problem with my car....

When driving it seems okay, gently touching the accelerator however when I dip the throttle to go past something quickly it just stops. I have zero drive flashes up with engine systems fault in red. It has happened twice now, first time it just went into limp mode and I managed to get it home. The engine management light (yellow engine) isn't illuminated.

Last night I went to go past a lorry I put my foot down (not to kick down, just a sudden blip) it just came up with engine system fault and gave me no power at all and just rolled to a stop and turned off, I then tried To start again immediately and it was just turning over and not firing. However after about 30 seconds it starts up as normal with nothing being displayed fault wise.. I then drove home carefully. This evening I started it and drove it and no warnings were displayed.

Wondering if anyone can throw any light on the situation, or had a similar problem.

Sorry for the essay and thanks in advance

Welcome to the club, Glen.

I am not an engineer, or  a computer expert,   but from the evidence, it appears to me that the ECU is getting  a message from a sensor and shuts down the engine.  It could be that a sensor is faulty?

Maybe an OBD 2 code reader could tell you something.

The may well be a member more knowledgeable than me who can assist.

Regards,

Peter.

hi glen

peter may well be right with the sensor you can try to reset the ecu

take the black lead off battery for ten mins but before you do make

sure you have radio code

TREVOR

Spoke to a Jaguar tech today. He said most likely fuel filter (meant to change it last year when serviced but it slipped my mind, or the dpf.

I noticed very low mpg this evening sat at 56 on dual carriageway (being cautious- not normally a slow coach) and it was only doing 21 at best I would usually expect 30-35 on that stretch.

Could it be the pump pumping more fuel through as the filter is clogged and its therefore burning more? I'm going to change the fuel filter this weekend. If anyone has any idea as to where it is, I believe its behind wheel arch lining but I don't know which one.

Hi Glen,

A terraclean is worth doing first as it is a relatively cheap fix.  You haven't mentioned the battery so I assume there is not problem with that.  The cheapest fix is the best one to try first.

Whatever you do avoid the main dealers.

Regards,

Peter.

alright guys,

update!!

after speaking to Jaguar on the phone they advised fuel filter, I changed yesterday and gave it a good thrash last night to try and bring up any issues like it used to..

it seems to be all clear now. touch wood!

quick and easy fix and probably the cheapest, other than inspecting.

am looking at a terraclean anyway seeing as it's a few miles down the road. cheers for all your help guys I will be sure to post if I get the issue again.

thanks

Well done, Glen.

The diesel engine always needs a good thrash.

A friend of mine was a mechanic working for MANWEB in the good old days prior to the energy industry being privatised.  Every time a certain van driver brought in his van for service the first job was to take it out on the Chester by pass and give it a bit of pressure with the right foot to clear out the system, as the driver bragged that he never did more than 30 mph.

filters are always worth checking, and I must admit that I always check my air filter every now and then.

Regards,

Peter.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Join The Club

Join the Jaguar Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

• Topics

• Our picks

• Simply Jaguar show at Beaulieu - Sunday 23rd June 2024
      Jaguar Owners Club have a stand at this year's Simply Jaguar event at the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, Hampshire on Sunday 23rd June 2024

Tickets are available online here: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar/
      • 1 reply
    • JAGUAR’S LAST PETROL SPORTS CAR: F-TYPE ZP EDITION TAKES THE CHEQUERED FLAG
      Jaguar is commemorating the end of its internal combustion sports car lineage in 2024 with an exclusive limited-edition F-TYPE inspired by two iconic 1960s racing E-types

Just 150 examples of the F-TYPE ZP Edition will be the last internal combustion-engined sports cars designed by Jaguar. These 575PS supercharged petrol V8 F-TYPEs feature specially curated interior and exterior details by the personalisation experts at SV Bespoke.
    • UPDATE SHOW INFORMATION !

Please find attached your club label – please can this be distributed amongst your club members prior to the event. Please ensure that they print this label and display it in their windscreen upon entry to the event, this ensures that all members wishing to park within your club area are directed to the correct parking location by our stewards. Please do not modify or add logos to the club label.

We do ask that all individuals have purchased their tickets on an individual basis in advance via our website, to speed up the entry process on the day. This can be done on our website here until 2pm on the day when admission closes: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar.

Note that we do have two entrances available, one is exhibitors gate at the bottom of the hill as you come in to Beaulieu, with the other being the normal Simply event entrance within the attraction. Either entrance is fine to use and both are open from 9.00am, with the exhibitors entrance closing around 11am.

Jaguar Owners Club (1).pdf
    • Simply Jaguar - Beaulieu Motor Museum - 25th June 2023
      Jaguar Owners Club have a stand at this years Simply Jaguar event at the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, Hampshire on Sunday 26th June 2023

Tickets are available online here: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar/

TICKETS & PRICES
      Participant prices are only valid if arriving in a Jaguar and taking part in the rally. They are not valid for those arriving on foot.

Participants can make the most of our EARLY BIRD discount by booking before 28th February 2023.

Children under 5 require a ticket, this can be booked online free of charge.

Participant and visitor tickets will include entrance to the rest of the Beaulieu attraction, including the National Motor Museum, Palace House, Little Beaulieu, World of Top Gear, Beaulieu Abbey and its grounds and gardens.

The best time for viewing the Simply rally is between 10am and 2pm.

Adult

Child

Participants – Early Bird*

£14.00

£7.50

Participants – Standard & On The Day

£16.00

£8.00

Visitors

Normal admission applies.

Normal admission applies

*Early bird tickets are available until 28th February 2023

VEHICLE ENTRY
      Entry with your Jaguar is from 9am – 2pm. Please make sure you have your ticket printed or available on your phone, ready to be scanned on arrival.

Please do not arrive early for our Simply rallies as no facilities will be open prior to 9:30am.

Cars cannot leave and re-enter the grounds for the Simply rallies.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

CLUB STAND ATTENDEE LIST

We do ask for a final update on numbers 2 weeks prior to the event following which we will send out club labels to you via email for you to then distribute out to club members. Club members then need to print and display these in their windscreen on arrival. This helps us then park you all in your club area together.

1. Trevor (admin)
      2.  Paj

• 5 replies
    • F-TYPE marks 75 years of Jaguar sports cars and its final model year update
      The Jaguar F-TYPE is the definitive Jaguar sports car from a rich bloodline spanning 75 years and including some of the most iconic models ever built

Forums

News

Membership