picked up the new jag se

dakeb

Was a ten hour round trip, but worth it.

I figured out the SatNav, for some reason it was set to Siberia. I set it to UK and it was fine. It has a 2008 disc. Home was set to near Guildford in Surrey, but the dealer was near Nottingham. Is there anyway of getting the Sat Nav to have some sort of traffic data like Google maps? Otherwise I'll continue to use my smartphone as Sat nav, and continue to get interrupted for phone calls.

It's been round the houses since the last private owner, but it was taxed and MOT in August 2014. Dealer says it has a new turbo.

Filled up with shell ultra, I'm sure dealers always drain the fuel so you collect it in the red.

Got the Samsung smartphone paired with bluetooth,, but as expected no stereo, just phone connectivity which works fine. The phone user interface on the touchscreen is a bit poor.

It doesn't have a six disc changer, but I find them a bit useless anyway. If I have to use cds I will use the one in the radio. Have to figure out bluetooth streaming somehow. In my old car it was as simple a replacing the head unit.

Drove home mostly motorway on cruise control at 70mph and averaged 46mpg. That has to improve. It's in for Terraclean and a full service on Thursday, let's see if that improves it. I should expect well in excess of 50mpg on the motorway for a 2.0 diesel, right?

I really enjoyed the drive home though, very comfortable and less stressful than in the rover.

Everything works as expected, all the bells and whistles, except the front and rear parking sensors. It's strange, I'm not getting a warning beep when I start the car. The led on the control panel is steady. But no beep when parking. I wonder what the problem could be?

Hi David,

A good long drive is always useful in a new [to you] car, as you find out a lot about it.

The lack of parking beeps could be the module, the sensors or the speaker.  It could also be a fuse or a misconnection.

You should get a better mpg with steady driving and I think that the Terraclean service might sort that out.

I rather like the SatNav, but I experienced something strange yesterday.  I have it set to use Toll Roads as I am only 4 miles from the M6 Toll and also the quickest route.  Doris [the Satnav] took me exactly to the main car park in Church Stretton, Shropshire via the M6 Toll but avoided the normal motorway connection to the M54. I found that there were severe roadworks on that connection.  Coming back, it avoided the toll road completely and took me back to Exit 7 of the M6. I wondered if she knew about the Roadworks?

Still, the main thing is that you enjoyed the car.

Regards,

Peter. 

Hi Peter,

I wonder if it does have traffic? It does calculate alternative routes, and if the satellite it uses gathers traffic data and tells it a quicker route it might actively reroute during a journey. I will have to investigate further.

Edit: according to this it has real time traffic updates so that's great

http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Navteq-JaguarEurope-Site/en_GB/-/GBP/ViewApplication-DisplayWelcomePage;pgid=_uJIa32A6QFSR0KMKuSEDqP_0000ZvQzdJtU;sid=c_MyH40jc-UzH9nRhKh2F4cpdGLD_IqyghA1jnzA

David

Hi David,

That is a very interesting link.  I had the 2006 disc when I got my car, and uprated it from SatNav updates 20 the last disc made for the s type, at a cost of £29.

I had wondered why I was sometimes taken on a slightly different route on occasion.

Regards,

Peter.

Peter,

My sat nav seemed to know about road works, and even indicated them on the map .

It also used to know about bad traffic and suggested alternative routes .

Some peeps don't seem to get on with the Sat Nav ( they want to try the Aston (volvo) Martin one !). but I found it excellent.

ATB,

Trevor

I emailed the people at www.navigation.com and they confirmed Jaguar X-type SatNav does in fact have the TMC (Traffic Message Channel) - but only the 2012 Western Europe disc, not earlier ones. Mine is 2008 so doesn't have TMC. The 2012 disc is compiled using map data from Q3 of 2010, so it's already 4.5 years out of date. Not worth spending £169 on old maps in my opinion, especially as the roads have changed significantly in my location in recent years. I asked them when the next release is scheduled but they couldn't tell me. These discs ought to be updated every quarter, like their online maps, and only sell the latest maps otherwise we are being ripped off. It's like getting a 2010 calendar for Christmas in 2014.

TMC is included for Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and UK. They didn't mention Ireland.

Hi David,

I managed to get a 2012 disc from SatNav updates for £29, but, as you say, some of the 2011 road changes were not there.

A plus point for me is that I have worked all over the UK and am relatively versed in most areas including some of the major industrial areas  ----   I used to look for the Blast Furnaces to get to some locations, but a certain Prime Minister had them all toppled!

Regards,

Peter. 

Hi Peter,

Well there is no way I am paying £169 for maps so old, so I too just ordered a disc for £20 off eBay. It looks like a genuine used 2011/12 disc that the owner no longer needs (hopefully not a pirate) but tbh at £169 for out of date discs they are just asking to be pirated. We know who are the real thieves here. Hopefully this will give me the TMC and I will sell on my original 2008 disc for a similar price.

Dave

Hi Dave,

The Jaguar main dealers all seem to charge about the same process for everything.  Too much, as well!

I thought that for £169 you would get the very latest disc, but you have found otherwise.  By current disc is the last to be made for the s type and presumably the x type.

I loaned my original 2006 disc to a member as his S type had no disc and he was unsure as to whether the Sat nav worked or not over a year ago. Unfortunately he has not returned it!

Two weeks ago I as on a fairly new estate in Derbyshire and Doris did remarkably well!

Regards,

Peter. 

• 2 months later...

The issue of paying for maps etc ... indeed the issue of paying for a satnav is bad for my blood presure. Now I know many of you will know about the phone apps ... but just for those who don't :

I downloaded a FREE satnav app onto my smartphone (works on tablets too if you want a bigger screen). Maps are udated regularly and are free. Speed cameras locations are also free, and updated regularly. Voice instructions are clear and although the whole package might be slightly less than a £300.00 Garmin, it is perfectly functional, postcode searches, favourites, via options ... it's all there.

Another app worth trying is the speed head-up display that reflects speed on the windscreen.

All these things are free to download and use .. and if (like most people) you have a smartphone from when you last updated sulking in a drawer feeling sorry for itself, why not at least try and save a bit of money. There're no subscriptions if you update from your home wi-fi.

I've used an 'old' Samsung S3 as a satnav for over a year with no problems at all.

Be aware though ... the maps are large, 300+ meg ... so if you DO try one out make sure you're on your home network and not on the phone provider's network if you pay per meg.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

This sounds very interesting Steve. 

Any chance that you could let us know the free satnav app you've had good experiences with, please ?   

None of my three Jaguars came fitted with a satnav - two of them are just too old for such things - and I like to keep my cars as original as possible.

Thanks.   

Ha ha ha, hi David, I just had to giggle.

1. My names David

2. I just did an 11 hour round trip to pick up my Jag (Southampton to Leicester on coach then drove back)

3. I bought a 2.0l diesel Jag

4. This was to replace my Rover 75

5. (just to make up numbers) mine doesn't have sat nav so I used my Samsung phone

Dave