Mid to end life crisis

Trelawny

Hi.

Had XJ6 series I and II many years ago and lately had a strong desire to return to Jags and get a XKR.

Question is, I'm over 70, over 6', rather generous in body dimensions and not as supple as I once was. Do you think I'm thinking outside my limits buying one of these?

john welcome .  I recently bought my first Jaguar an xj 2013  and like it . my cars before were mostly bms and audis so was wanting a change. you are only young once john follow your dreams mate you will love the xkr go for it

hi john firstly welcome 

as to the car its down to you which you buy if you fancy the xkr then buy it,my dad always told me it doesnt matter what car you buy its yours and as long as you enjoy it & love driving thats all that matters.

that's for any make or model but for some reason ive always came back to the Jaguar

again welcome to the club 

ron

Hi John, and welcome to the club.

There is a time in life that you want to do something that others may look at curiously.  My sons both thought that after a sedate Rover Sterling I ought to buy something with a dinky little engine and a boot big enough for a walking stick or zimmer frame.

But I fell in love with Jaguars when I was a youngish motor cyclist and saw my mate restoring a Mk1 Jaguar.  So I bought the next best thing, a rather nice S Type, which I love.  However my wife now likes the XK and tells me I am not too old to have one.

I am only 80.

Jump at the chance, I would.

Regards,

Peter. 

Hi all.

Many thanks for your welcome and replies.

I'll have to get out looking then.  After a lot of initial opposition from my wife to getting one, a few chinks in her armour are beginning to show and perhaps now is the time to strike.

Won't be spending a fortune, up to 10k perhaps. There appears to be a few reasonable examples available around that price.

Once again, thank you for your responses.

John

steam in mate. you only regret what you don't do. spent a lot of time looking at wheeler dealers and eBay classic cars dreaming of the many motors I would like to have and then I found an xjsc that was in reasonable condition . I am 55 and six foot two and only just fit in it but its great. unfortunately my wife Is not of this opinion and thinks im an old twit.as in all matters she is obviously right but im sitting in my kitchen right now looking out the window at about ten yards of red gorgeousness that im going to thrash the nuts off when I can be bothered to have a shower and get dressed.

fill your boots

eddie

So, as from today, on your recommendations, I now own a 03 XKR.  If i still shows on eBay it's this one, 291392616375.

I haven't driven it yet, I let the seller do that, it's easy enough to know how a car handles even if someone else is at the wheel.

Probably get my sweaty hands on it in a week or so, skip in the drive spoiling things at the moment.

Dealer says tires filled with nitrogen.   Got to be a good reason for this but what is the procedure for topping up?

Anyway, I'm in love again and thanks for your help'

John.

well done

since my obviously stupid purchase (my wifes words), I have lost three and a half stone in weight and if I say so myself look a right sort. I pulled into my local farm shop to spend all my money on not very much, and on my exit I nearly an over two young ladies that were drooling over my jag as I was pulling out of the parking space. unfortunately,  by the way they were dressed it was obvious that they "batted for the other team" so to speak. the fact that after seeing them I stalled it doesn't help but I put a smile on their faces, so I will put that in the "plus" bank. I sincerely hope that you will have many experiences like that in your jag regardless of your age and whether it takes you a half hour to get in and out of your new baby

may it put new lead in your pencil

eddie

Hi Eddie,

Sir William Lyons described the Mk 1 Jaguar as "Grace, Space and Pace".  I wonder what he would have said about the later models.

I think it would have been "These boys have learnt from what I taught them".  

I bought my first Jaguar when I was 76!

Regards,

Peter. 

when you get to middle age and above every waking moment is about " the kids " or "the grandchildren", giving your money away to them and thinking about everyone but yourself.

but there comes a time when your tired, put upon brain says I WANT SOMETHING FOR ME AND NO-ONE ELSE AND IF THEY DONT LIKE IT THEY CAN GO FORTH AND MULTIPLY.

for gods sake don't let my wife see this

eddie

Hi All. 

Has to be a girl Ron, although I have only ever had one with a name before, that was a '37 Wolsely 414 which an old girlfriend called "Bertha".  

Eddie, if I can do the same with the weight I will be a happy man.  I have a full metal hip on the right and thought I may well have a problem but found it pretty easy on either side in the end, or maybe it was my mind shutting out the pain.

Anyway, another week before I will get it home and get to know it.  swmbo has demanded a trip to Ikea at Bristol as part of the penance I have to carry for indulging in this latest "toy".  That's one I won't mind.

John

• 1 month later...

50 next week hope to pick up my xk8 convertible within the next three weeks. Only brought because it seems to have positive health benefits like weight loss probably be because can't afford food anymore and the smile factor releasing endorphins. Who needs slimming world and exercise you get all of the benefit and none of the crap just by owning a Jaguar.

Welcome to the club, Jonathan.

I have also lost two and a half stones since buying a Jaguar.

If you get to drive round Galway &  Co.Mayo in June look out for an old bloke with a smile on his face driving an S Type.  We can't resist Irish Holidays!

Regards,

Peter.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, thought I'd update you on my progress, so far.

Registered and collected "baby" on April 1st.  Since then I have probably done around 500 miles in her and felt like a star for every one of them.  For three weeks she was back with the dealer, who kindly stored her for me while I had my drive expanded and paved.

Anyway, slowly getting used to the totally different driving experience from my Disco and I am getting more confident with her every time I take her out.  I'm being serious when I say that, at the beginning, there were a few times, when I took off, that I forgot it wasn't a Disco I was driving and for a split second, or so, the wife and myself found ourselves doing impromptu visor inspections. She has muttered a few times about suing me for whiplash.

A beautiful car and the driving experience and the looks she gets makes it worth every penny she cost.  My only bug is that the only time I've ever seen another XKR on the road since getting her, I've been driving the Disco.  Never had the chance to give a wave of respect to another owner yet.