First time jag owner from lancs

Chrissib

Hi everyone. My name is christopher and I've just bought myself a 2003 Jaguar x type 2.0 diesel sport. The car has a few problems but ive looked through some of the threads on here and there's ample information to make sure I can fix these problems. It would be nice to hear from other x type owners about your experience with the car and any problems they have. Thanks, chris

post-6813-0-41929700-1426622687_thumb.jp

Hi Chris, and welcome to the club.

The x type is a nice car, and made in Lancashire, too. I used to have one.

There are loads of members who drive x types and who are very good at maintaining them.

Just put in the best diesel rather than the cheap stuff and you will get great mpg and a nice ride.

Regards,

Peter.

Lancastrian in exile.

Hi guys. Thanks for the advice. I have to admit I never knew of any difference in supermarket fuel and proper forecourt fuel but I will be sure to spend the extra to keep the jag tip top. The car is going for a full service and most of the small problems sorted so I will be able to enjoy it to the full on the weekend. Can't wait! Thanks for the welcomes.

Hi guys. Thanks for the advice. I have to admit I never knew of any difference in supermarket fuel and proper forecourt fuel but I will be sure to spend the extra to keep the jag tip top. The car is going for a full service and most of the small problems sorted so I will be able to enjoy it to the full on the weekend. Can't wait! Thanks for the welcomes.

I filled up with a tankful of Standard forecourt fuel, and on an 150 miles drink with a mix of lanes and motorway I got 39.6 mpg/

A similar journey a couple of weeks earlier with a tankful of Shell Vitro gave me 46.2 mpg.

The other thing to get better fuel economy coupled with less tyre noise and better stopping distance is the make of tyre.  I have changed my tyres at the front from Pirellis to Goodyear  --   the same spec but quieter and better stopping distance.  It is worth looking at the Halfords Website, as they give you the Euro details of every tyre they sell, which is vast.  A recent survey put Goodyear top with Vredestein second.

Peter.

Wow, that's a pretty amazing difference Peter. It sounds well worth the few pence extra to get the good fuel rather than the cheap supermarket stuff. Taking into account mpg and how it protects the engine better I would say it's well worth it. You don't happen to know which petrol stations are best for cleaner fuel do you? Also thanks for the words the guardian. What type of Jaguars do you have?

hi chris

I have an x type 20 diesel estate 2009 se dark met grey with cream leather and I love it :) :).

are you going  to the Scottish meet in june if you are thinking of going put your name down on the thread

Cream leather sounds a bit tasty! It probably wouldn't be cream for long if I had it.

I've never actually thought about going to a meeting as I've never been involved with anything like this before (my 2 previous cars, 1.2 corsa and 1.2 clio campus sport.) what do these meetings entail?

Sorry mr popey, I totally missed your comment. The main problem I have found so far is a loss of power when putting my foot down, the car goes into limp mode. I've researched this and to be honest it's a bit of a mine field. I have looked up all the tell tale signs, smoke from exhaus and turbo not kicking in and I've found myself at the EGR valve. I'm no mechanic but I think due to it being cheap to do and pretty easy, I'm going to remove the EGR valve and give it a good clean, I'm not sure if this is going to be pointless though as I will be blanking it straight away. If you have any knowledge about this I would be very grateful to hear it or even your opinion on blanking the EGR valve.

The other problems with the car are minor. Windscreen washers and a/c stuck on at times although I'm not sure if this is automatic or not. As I say, I'm a proper first time owner

hi chris

at meets /shows event a number of members get together at these have a good chat have a cuppa or a beer do some photos have some food. some events are just days out like Brighton in may - and the  stirling meet in june will be a  long w/end for me, wife is going shopping it will be a good w/end for me thinks. so it a chance to meet up with other Jaguar owners from all walks of life and do everything & anything  jaguar I enjoy these as its a chance to put faces to name and look at some iconic cars in the process

ron

Thanks Ron. I'll have a think about it because I like the thought of doing things I've never done before. I was a little worried you might say it's all about concourse and such but that's put my mind at rest. I wouldn't mind seeing some of the older Jaguars in person.