Door Sensor Problem

hondacrm

Hi Folks, new to the forum and wondered if anyone could help.

I drive an 09 plate SE model and have had the car for 5 years.

For the last 2 weeks I have been having an intermittent problem with a warning message appear saying "rear passenger door open".  It most frequently happens after a journey has ended and I want to lock the car.  The first time, I checked to see if the door was actually open.  It wasn't but i opened and closed it a few times to see if it would make any difference.  It didn't so I left the car unlocked and went back to it some time later and the warning message had gone so I was able to lock the car as normal.

The message has also appeared/disappeared on a few occasions whilst I have been driving.

Lastly, for the last 2 nights, the alarm has gone off in the middle of the night (there was no third party interference with the car).

I am guessing that it is either a faulty sensor on the door (had a look for this but couldn't see anything obvious) or an electrical fault somewhere?  The battery is original and has never caused a problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi Sean, and welcome to the club.

I think that you should have the battery checked as the first option, to see that it is pushing out enough power.

Jaguars have a lot of electrical equipment and when a battery is on the way out it can do strange things.

Let us know how you get on.

Regards,

Peter.

Hi Sean

Welcome to the Club

Peter is right in what he say' s about the Battery the electrics go all to pot if it's not up to scratch. Have heard about the Drivers Lock giving some problems but have not experienced anything myself, mine is an 09 Model also and I'll be keeping an eye on the Battery as the Car sits outside during the Winter.

Regards

Tom

Hi Sean, obviously what both Tom and Peter have said must be considered however, being an electrical engineer I would aim for the door switch and check that it is working correctly by using a multimeter and performing an ohms check across it when its both open and closed and the checking the wiring connections at the switch.

Its very often the case that all the door switches including the boot switch is wired in series however, in your case and you only having problems with 1 door I suspect that your problem lies with either the switch or connections attached to it.

Welcome to The Jaguar Owners Club

Hi everyone , I,m new to the forum I joined when I saw the same problem that I,m having posted on here, my 03 2.5 se also has the draining battery due to "rear passenger door open" alert keeping the interior light on. First thing I did was change the old ( 5 years ) battery but the problem persists so, not having the capability myself looks like a visit to an auto electrician to sort out the issue, just hope it,s not an expensive visit.

Love Jags, this is my second after having a 2001 3.0 sport (in Liverpool red) for 8 years.

Now saving for an F type ( I wish )

Hi Les, and welcome to the club.

Hopefully you will get the problem solved  --  Ken is brilliant with this electric wizardry.

Scousers live all over this country  ---   there is one from Scottie Road living in my house, and has done for the last 48 years!

Regards,

Peter.

Widnesian in exile.

P.S.  I went to watch Liverpool once, Both Billy Liddell and Ray Lambert had great games, as did Tom Finney playing for the opponents, Preston North End.

Hi Les and welcome to the Jaguar Owners Club. Can I respectfully request you read my previous post to resolve the issue. I've got to assume that in your case the interior light is staying illuminated for the reason that it would drain the battery. I would not expect a door switch alone to be the cause of such a drain. The switch and its connections should be verified to be functioning and this can be proved quite easily by the use of a multimeter or similar.

hi all - it's 3.45am and i have just experienced the problem.

Passenger rear door alarm on -but doors shut and alarm

waking half the neighbourhood!!

I replaced the battery in January so i wouldn't think this is the problem

I can't seem to locate the door switch - i suspect it's not the old gaitered type

as in other cars.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Bob I found this from another X Type owner so I'm thinking it may help you ????

He had a similar problem, where the microswitch in the rear door lock
was intermittantly failing. The interior lights would come on while
driving and you got a door open message in the dash. If the switch
failed while the car was locked, the alarm would go off. Ended up
replacing the whole lock assembly, because the switch is integral to the
lock assembly.

Also found lock assembly on eBay £20or £30 if needed.???

Frank

• 3 weeks later...

Hi  All,

Just to close this thread out, I had to have the door lock replaced.  Total cost just under £200 with the part at £68.

Thanks for all your help.

Sean

• 1 month later...

hi all, just joined to post my experience. Have now had this problem twice on my 2009 sport premium. First time a new lock fitted at garage to rear drivers side at £160 cost. Problem is a microswitch inside the lock and loads of cars appear to get this problem. My battery also ran down, alarms sound etc. the drivers door has now decided to have the same fault. I have bought a second hand lock to fit but in removing the old one I took off the electric connector first and fitted to replacement to check it was ok which it was. I then shorted the two pins in the connector with some aluminium foil and that completed the circuit and fooled the electrics into thinking the door is shut. This does mean that you don't get any message even when the door is open but it was free without the need for a replacement lock. I also checked the ford mondeo part as my replacement has ford stamped on it. They wanted £145 for the part. Jaguar new cost is £69 + vat. Hope this is of help to anyone wanting a cheap fix.

Door switches short to ground when the door is open and are held open circuit when the door is closed to check the switch simply remove it and tape up the cable connecter so it cannot short to the bodywork. If you still show the door open then follow the wire back along its run to see if you have any damage, be critical of any place it can flex

• 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Hello, 

on my 2002 X type I have the exact problem as described above where the rear passenger door open warning appears on the dash. 

if I use the quick fix of shorting the two wires together will this also get rid of the red warning light on the dash as well as the “rear passenger door open” warning on the trip computer? 

thanks for your help,

all the best,

kieran