Fuel consumption and re-fuelling

FOZZIE

Hi everyone,

Have had my XF sportbrake 2.3 (200bhp) for a few weeks now, and am generally very pleased with it. The main thing I am dissapointed with is the mpg. I am no boy racer, but I am struggling to get 45 overall, which is less than the claimed mpg for urban usage! I am also finding that when I fill the tank I cannot get as much in as I would have thought. For instance I ran the tank low - only 40 miles left according to the guage, but could only squeeze 55litres in, after it clicked out a few times. This in combination with the low mpg means that I get about 500 miles from a tank.

I have made a big step up from a Passat (140bhp) but that did 53 to the gallon and had a range of over 700 on a tank.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

By the way, I have towed my caravan with the XF, and was pleased to get 33mpg when towing!

Cheers!

Fozzie

Hi Steve,

The claimed urban usage should often be classified as fiction.

Manufacturers use many "tricks of the trade" to bet a better mpg than will actually be obtained.  One trick is to ensure that the car carries as little weight as possible, which included fuel, just carrying a gallon or two, and ensuring that there were no unnecessary item in the boot.

Some go as far a having very little water in the screen washers, also.

Bearing that in mind, the caravan test is a good one.  A member quoted 25 mpg when towing with an S type 2.7D and was pleased with it.

Using Shell V Power I found that my mpg was 3 - 5 mpg better, and a terraclean engine service also made a difference.  I have had a drive of 100 miles and got my best result of 53 mpg and knocking round the city I get circa 30 mpg.

I would not be too disappointed with 45 mpg from a 200bhp car.

Regards,

Peter.

• 1 year later...

XFs can be tricky to fill to the brim. Shell diesel foams alot. You need to withdraw the nozzle slightly when squeezing in the last few litres. If you really want to check mpg then you need to brim the tank each time. That can be slow and you may dribble!. I have checked mine over nearly 6 years. With 190,000 on the clock it still has the same mpg performance and uses very little Oil _ 3 litre diesel avg 35 mpg.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I've only had my 3.0 S diesel for a week now and only use it to drive 20 miles each way to work. I am slightly disappointed with the 35 mpg for a decent run, not heavy footed (well, not very often!!). I was thinking about a combination of having the engine chipped and switching to a decent fuel (V Power). I did some numbers, and assuming the decent fuel is 10p/litre more than the supermarket sludge, I reckon if I get an extra 5 miles per gallon it will save me over £100 per year (not much, but it all goes to offset the next service cost!).

So, can anybody confirm the extra mpg when using V Power over supermarket type fuel, and would this increase further with getting the engine chipped?

I had my last car Terracleaned, and it gave me 10mpg more overnight, but this settled down to about 5 mpg after a few weeks - amazing.

Still loving the XF, and to quote a previous post, it's more about the smiles per gallon rather than the miles per gallon :wolfwood::yahoo:.

Cheers,

Mac

Hi Paul,

A lot depends on your juorney to work, as city traffic takes its toll on fuel.  I always use premium fuel and on longs runs I have over 50 mpg on three or four occasions.  I changed to Shell V power about two years ago and noticed the difference immediately.

Regards,

Peter. 

Not tried the different fuels but wouldn't hurt to try a couple of tanks yourself and brim each time and manually check the mpg each time and compare with normal diesel.  I have had my 3 litre  diesel chipped from a standard 237 bhp to a claimed  296 bhp. Trip computer records the same mpg as before. But fuel consumption has actually fallen by 10%. Trip computer was never spot on but normally within 1 mpg. These days trip computer says 37.5 but manual check shows  34.5 mpg. Apparently you can get a car chipped for better economy rather than more power.  But why buy a 3 litre engined car and then try and make it like a lower powered one. Just buy a lower  powered model and save on tax and insurance as well as fuel!

PG63 

2 hours ago, PG63 said:

Not tried the different fuels but wouldn't hurt to try a couple of tanks yourself and brim each time and manually check the mpg each time and compare with normal diesel.  I have had my 3 litre  diesel chipped from a standard 237 bhp to a claimed  296 bhp. Trip computer records the same mpg as before. But fuel consumption has actually fallen by 10%. Trip computer was never spot on but normally within 1 mpg. These days trip computer says 37.5 but manual check shows  34.5 mpg. Apparently you can get a car chipped for better economy rather than more power.  But why buy a 3 litre engined car and then try and make it like a lower powered one. Just buy a lower  powered model and save on tax and insurance as well as fuel!

PG63 

When being chipped for economy you still get more bhp and torque, you just don't get full hp, there is a company that does the 2.7d  207bhp engine in two types of remapping. fuel economy one increases to 232bhp, whereas the power one increases to 251 bhp. 

Oh dear,

I've just changed from a 4.2 S-type which did 32 to the gallon on a long run to a 3 ltr S diesel which by the sound of it won't be much better.

The wife will not be happy!!

In the good old days , we bought a Jag to go fast, not save money. I had an XJ6   , 1966, about 16 MPG .     So I got a Double Six   carb model (1972)    which did about 13 but could easily get down to 8MPG in London traffic.    I drove daimler D420 limos with the 4.2 engine, these could do as low as 4MPG in London traffic.    

19 minutes ago, keith pearson said:

In the good old days , we bought a Jag to go fast, not save money. I had an XJ6   , 1966, about 16 MPG .     So I got a Double Six   carb model (1972)    which did about 13 but could easily get down to 8MPG in London traffic.    I drove daimler D420 limos with the 4.2 engine, these could do as low as 4MPG in London traffic.    

Hi

What Keith said, I got my S-type R because its a Jaguar and fast, 4.2 and supercharged and the V8 sounds superb!!!

Why would one buy a Diesel Jaguar ????, Its like say a Diesel Ferrari, Why???, Then your going to Say "economy", Its a Jaguar 

Then best cars ever made, were never Diesels, I think if your questioning Economy and Mpg's, Your driving the wrong car.

Cheers

Joe

Your better with a V8 or V12 :yes:

Why would you buy a diesel?

Well because in the 21st century they're Damn near as fast, 0-60 in 5.9 seconds and limited to 155mph, better on fuel, cheaper on tax, more reliable and on a real road on a real day will eat an S-type for breakfast.

And I swapped a V8 S-type for my XF

• Like 1

Back in the 50's and 60's  20 mpg was considered quite good economy. I have a 1953   Lanchester  , 2litre , that does 22MPG. back in the 60.s I never had a car good enough to get that, and I mean   a Ford prefect,  Vauxhall Velox and a Standard Vanguard, all did about 12 MPG due to worn out engines.     My present Jag an  X 300   4 litre does about 20-25 .        but I don't care   , after 2 Rolls and a Bentley it seems OK, and I have a Mercedes diesel for cheap journeys.    

34 minutes ago, Mike_eng said:

Well because in the 21st century they're Damn near as fast, 0-60 in 5.9 seconds and limited to 155mph, better on fuel, cheaper on tax, more reliable and on a real road on a real day will eat an S-type for breakfast.

the  Government is about to persecute diesels!   That will cause a lot of vexation.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike_eng said:

Hi

Your still driving a S-type, the XF uses the same floor pan as the S-type, thats why its so good.

cheers

Joe

9 hours ago, keith pearson said:

the  Government is about to persecute diesels!   That will cause a lot of vexation.   

As far as I know, the Government is merely going to ensure that the requirement already in law/regulations are kept to.  I understand that the MOT requirements which have been evaded and indeed promoted by some garages will be severely adhered to.

The Diesel Particulate filter, which can sometimes cause a problem with diesel cars when not properly regenerated, has been removed by some owners, as the MOT is only a visual test.  The Government via the DVLA are going to check whether it has been removed by actually checking that.

Age big problem with any car engine is that it might not be looked after properly and can fail on emissions.  Being static in traffic any engine will use more fuel and hence cause more pollution. "Buses, Taxis, delivery vans etc use diesel engines, and the Government are well aware that "persecuting" the owners of diesel vehicles will not only put extra costs on the economy but put a lot of extra costs on the Government itself.  Remember that Ships &Trains are mostly run on diesel engines.  I went on a cruise last year  and the ship I went on was only 18,500 tonnes displacement but had 4 huge diesel engines all running most of the time.

Regards,

Peter.

P.S.  I drive a diesel but SWMBO drives a Hybrid,

Probably large diesels like trucks will be left alone but we will be "encouraged "   to switch to petrol - just like we all switched to diesel because it was so cheap (remember?)    Of course , we once had electric buses in London .   They were all scrapped for  "modern" diesles.

I had 29 years with a company car, and we changed to diesels for 5 years.  The reason we changed to diesels was because the  Government were told that CO2 emissions were causing more pollution that the diesels currently on the road, especially since the manufacturers of diesels were providing engines  that were cleaner than the petrol engines then in vogue, which used leaded petrol.

Possibly the worst pollution in the western world is in the USA  --  Los Angeles  --  where there are few diesels! 

• 1 year later...

I have a 2011 XF-S 3.0d Portfolio - got it in October. Having taken on board advice from other members (especially Peter - thank you!) and swapping to premium diesel with an occasional shot of Millers Oil additive, I now regularly get 32-34mpg locally and an easy 42-46 on long motorway trips. I also do not 'spare the horses'!

If I drop into sport mode I can easily drop that down to low 20's. But that's almost too much fun!

Cheers, Jon

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hi all I’m new to this forum. 

The wife and and I had a weekend break in Brighton a month or two ago I have a 2 litre XF Diesel 2016 plate portfolio. The round trip was around 120 miles. I cruised with control at 60 mph virtually all the way there and back the mileage showed at 59 mpg. Amazing! 

Welcome to the club, Alegeegee,

The Ingenium engine made in Wolverhampton is quite unique, and Jaguar have got a world beater.

Mt s type with a 2.7 diesel engine would get around 46 mpg for such a journey, with which i would be very pleased.

Just enjoy your car - Jaguars are great cars.

Regards,

Peter.