Phil58

Welcome back Phil.

Your car sounds as if it has been looked after well.

I used to live in Flintshire during the good days of John Summers and Sons/aka British Steel - Shotton Works in which I had gainful employment.

Regards,

Peter.

Cheers. Fingers crossed with car as I'm traveling to Surrey for it, sounds like it been well looked after, I know where you mean Peter I'm only about 50meters into Flintshire 50 Mtrs back and I'm in Denbighshire. Well at least I will be giving the jag a good run coming home, nice four hour drive.

Helo Phil ydych chi'n siarad Cymraeg ? Croesawodd ôl i'r Clwb Perchnogion Jaguar , gobeithio y byddwch yn mwynhau eich taith newydd . Roedd rhaid i mi deithio De-ddwyrain i nôl fy XKR pan fyddaf yn ei brynu hefyd .

Dewch ar Phil chi fod yn Ogledd Cymru yn ogystal ddim yn dda (Come on Phil you being a North Walian as well not good) :-)

Let you into a little secret Phil my Welsh is not the best Tip in bach but there is always Google Translate which is fabulous for English to Welsh and vice versa

Oh well, just got back from Surrey 400mile round trip. What a bag of s***t wasted my time and money, why can't people just be honest when selling a car. Said it had satnav(didn't) radio needed coding, air con didn't work and so on.

They just make my blood boil, just describe a car how it is. Simples

I know it is a bit like closing the door after the horse has bolted, but I would like to say that it might be a great idea for the future that if a club member [or indeed a potential Jaguar owner] was thinking of buying a car some distance away, a member living in that location could go and see the car in question just to check it was as described, and take the odd photograph. The potential owner could give a list of questions.

My son once bought a car via eBay, and one of the things he wanted was air conditioning.  The car was described as having aircon but the owner forgot to mention it wasn't working and actually needed a new unit.

Just a thought, and I know that there are quite a few members who would assist.

Peter. 

What an excellent and simple idea Peter, we have a database somewhere of members locations therefore, it should only be a case of scrolling through to find a suitable member. I'm confident the membership would be only to pleased to assist in such issues.

Hi Frank,

I am sure that people who have bought cars in the past can be hard nosed enough to ask the pertinent questions, and if in doubt get something on writing.  Passing on what they have seen, checking out the description, and assessing the honesty of the seller is something potential buyer could find useful before wasting time and fuel.

Phil had a long day and used a lot of fuel going to see someone whose description of the car could have been written by Enid Blyton.

Peter.

Your 100% right, but I still think there's people out there will lie through there back teeth. I've just asked to look another one but he says can't view till wendsday as he's working, well why advertise something for sale if your not around. I just give up now. Anybody got a horse or pony for sale

Hi Phil,

Have a look at Stratstone Jaguar [they are also the owners of Evans Halshaw] who as main dealers will give you a warranty, and will also bring a car from wherever it is to one of their dealerships near you.

I had seen a nice S type in Dumfries  and they offered to bring it down to Solihull for me. But then they offered me one that also fitted the bill closer which, although a bit more expensive, was within our Budget.  Everthing was working properly and it is a great car.  

Peter.

post-4237-0-06388900-1430740918_thumb.jp

Hi peter. I'm only looking for a reasonable stype around 1999 as I had one years ago and loved it. But I want a good one as I don't keep them long and it will be easier to sell. I've had stype, xtype, xj's think the best one I had was stype with all Arden extra's IE body kit alloys everything cost me a fortune, so I don't spend much now as was sick of loosing money. Think going looking at one later keep you posted. Phil

Update. GOT ONE. It was on eBay. 1999 stype like new. Absolute minter. 4500 miles one owner, I have a question it has satnav voice command ect ect. There is a phone button there but Is this for factory fit phone can my phone be paired to it. Is it bluetooth?

Go to a dealer Phil, it does not have to be a main Jaguar dealer and use the facility that has been previously mentioned. Look for a forum member who lives close by to the seller and request his/her help to view/take photographs etc.

• Like 1

The car wasn't far away, it was mint just had a bit of mis Fire a bit lumpy, any way left a deposit as he said would sort it out no problem. Aweek later still not been looked at by a macanic. Sent my deposit back

Hi Phil,

Kenny has given you some good advice.

Most dealers who sell cars and take older cars in part exchange sometimes keep a good one and sell it for a small profit rather than send it to auction where they might get a loss.

Private individuals often sell cars "as seen" and often get up to tricks of the trade, as it were, to get a sale.  In the old days,  sawdust was known to be put in a gearbox to deaden clunks.

Regards,

Peter.