S type auto to manual gearbox conversion?

Russ68

Hi all,

Thanks for the earlier welcome Steve ;)

Given the right parts from a donor car, is there any reason that I couldn't swap out the auto gearbox in a 3.0 S sport auto, for a 5 speed manual?

I haven't been able to find a 3.0 manual at the right price / spec / condition, so I'm pretty close to closing a deal on a sport auto with a gearbox fault. 

I know I'd need clutch, linkages, the stick and internal trim, but are there compatibility issues or anything else I should be aware of? Has anyone else done this?

I've put some feelers out to eBay breakers, as I'm not currently planning on purchasing a separate donor. But if the idea is a non starter, it would be good to know before I commit expense and further time to it.

Thanks in advance for any advice and comments!

Cheers, Russ :)

Hi again,

Thanks Andy, is that your MGF as well? I've had a BRG '96 for 12 years, cracking little car!

I decided against the auto I was bidding on and I'm now focusing on finding a 3.0 manual. I've lusted after various jags over the years and briefly owned an '74 XJ6 some time ago, and I'm convinced the S Type 3.0 type sport manual is the car for me, a modern day Mark 2 with Grace, Space and Pace. I did strongly think about the 3.0 X Type, but it's only marginally lighter, has a transverse engine, less power and isn't the classic rear drive format (plus having every other smartarse telling me it was just a Modeo could become annoying!

It'll be our 3rd car, so I'm in no huge rush, but I hope to secure one over the next months, after which I'm sure you'll hear from me again.

Cheers, Russ

I own a 3.0 manual and have to admit its more fun and usable than the auto I had that died through gearbox failure.

tye manuals do seem to be a little cheaper than the auto s why not pic up a good reasonable price manual and spec it up ?

There was a particular 3.0 sport auto I was bidding on for crazy money, but it ended up going for a little more than would've been worth the hassle of collecting and converting. So buying a manual is now the plan, there is a 2002, 2.5 sport manual locally, with the updated interior, but you can feel the lose of the 40 bhp, so I'll hold out for a 3.0. £3500 for the Y reg Mike found is a bit rich, and too far away, but this is the type of thing we're after. 

I much prefer the look of the sport, but hadn't considered buying a non sport and specing it up if this is what jezz6570 is suggesting. What did you have in mind Darren and where is recommended for S parts and upgrades?

Cheers, Russ

I picked up a 3.0 manual on a T plate for £650.00 and transfered my 3.0 se interior into it along with thd wheels etc

if your lookinv for a newer model look at getting the sport model with as many factory options but a cloth intrrior as there are quiet a few se and even type R interiors around for resonable money . I also fitted a cone airfilter which 1 makes it sound a bit meatier but also has given me more throttle response but reduced fuel consumption now averaging 28 mpg on local trips and 34 plus on a run

only thing to make sure is mot as new as poss or if not give the rear subframe a close inspection as mine just failed due to this but luckily picked up another for a song

• Like 1

Sounds great, I'm ideally going for a sport, but I'll keep an open mind if a good cheap 3.0 manual comes along, such a lot of car for the money! I'll consider induction, exhaust changes and other consumable upgrades as time goes by, and I'll definitely check the rear subframe when I view. I noticed the one on the 2002 2.5 I drove on Friday was getting scabby, but not completely gone. Your mileage is encouraging, yet another reason to go for the manual :)

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

After careful consideration and taking some advice, I'm pleased to say I dumped the plan for converting the auto, and purchased a 51' 3.0 Sport manual at the weekend. 

I'll post separately about it as I have some questions for the forum ;)

Cheers, Russ

• 4 years later...

For those of you looking at changing a Jaguar S Type auto to manual there are no compatabillity issues.

we have completed this conversion using a donor car.

the body fittings are all the same.

the reason we did this was I have been using a 2000 S Type 3.0 V6 auto for tarmac rally.

the car has a weld in roll cage and FIA seat mounts also welded in. The auto box was not competitive enough as it is designed for highway driving,

I decided that after reading several forums etc which all said it could not be done that we would take a gamble and give it a go.

i sourced a low Km S Type sport with manual.

the cars were put side by side in the workshop and gearboxes, pedal boxes ,prop shafts and ECU were swapped over from auto to manual and vica versa.

the gearbox wiring harnesses are external and are seperate to all other wiring. The differentials were left as is even though they are different ratios. We fitted a new flywheel and spec 3.5 stage clutch to the manual car.

it would have been nice if we could get a lightened single mass flywheel but this was not available so we stuck with factory dual mass.

with the differential on the now manual race car we installed an Eaton Detroit truetrac LSD.

so for anyone wondering if this conversion can be done the answer is yes it is not an issue.

not only did we convert the auto car to manual we also converted the manual car  to Auto.

both cars run perfectly, there are no warning lights, ABS / traction control etc all work as they should.

the work was carried out by a landrover / Jaguar master technician at the Landy Centre Cairns Australia

• 1 year later...

My 2003 Jaguar S-Type with 150,000 miles and a 3.0L V-6 attached to a 5-speed manual transmission was recently rear ended and the repair costs are several multiples of the car's value.  It would be perfect for a conversion of another S-Type from automatic to manual.  The car has records from the first owner until now.  Mobil 1 5w30 was used for almost every Oil change.  Car is located in a suburb of Detroit, Michigan.  I will be listing it on Craig's List.