Clunk on new model year 15.5 XF

Golfer

Bought my second XF, this time a R Sport 200 Black Edition in February and since new had a clunk when you brake then accelerate. Sounds similar to a worn universal joint.

Initially told diesel tank causing sound needed baffles but when in for this work (2 days) they stripped it off only to find already fitted. In again for further 2 days and no further forward. Advised today from dealer that it is inherent in this model and no further work needs to be done.

Should have been advertised as the new "clunk click every trip"

Has any other R Sport owner got this noise?

I reported the issue to Jaguar Customer Care 10 days ago and have had a reply that dealer was to take in car for 4 days; record noise and discuss with Jaguar Cars, the dealer would telephone me directly to arrange. After a week of no response from dealer I rang them late afternoon to ascertain when my car was due in.

The response received was from Service Manager.

I to cannot in my own mind accept that Jaguar would knowingly accept this as an inherent design flaw. I am waiting for confirmation from Jaguar Customer Care this is so.

Future R Sport buyers be prepared for same fault if my dealer's statement is correct. Don't forget "clunk clunk every trip"

sorry to hear of your problems douglas. it seems to be the norm with Jaguar to have bad customer care, and to be frank I would take it back to them. take legal advice to what your rights are car is only 3mths old for gods sake, take your case up with local cab office they offer good free advice. if it was me I would be taking it back and walking away from it. was surprised to learn the other day that Jaguar still use ford engines in all their cars xf,xe,xj, ftype as well as other parts

My XF 2009 has a Peugeot engine with some plastic bits stamped Fomoco ford mo co im guessing...

as for your clunks i think i would be looking into loose suspension parts...

A brand with a premium price tag I'm afraid I know I have had endless problems with mine but it's all ok now or at least for the last couple of months it has...

But it has been plagued with problems and forget Jaguar having any interest at all very poor in my experience ended up finding the problem myself

• Like 1

My XF 2009 has a Peugeot engine with some plastic bits stamped Fomoco ford mo co im guessing...

as for your clunks i think i would be looking into loose suspension parts...

Hi Richard,

The XF 3.0 litre diesel is basically the developed 2.7 D engine that powered the S type and was developed by Ford and Peugeot and was also used in the Land Rover.

Drivers should not be surprised at the engine used in their cars.  Until the German takeover the engine used in the Rolls Royce and Bentley were from Buick, and the Rover 418 had a Peugeot Diesel.

Morgan cars are powered by Ford engines, too, as are some Mazda cars.

The Ford Company planned that the Bridgend factory would produce a "World Engine'.

Regards,

Peter.

Richard I am really considering getting rid of my xj now I know its more or less a common ford. I bought the car as a change fom bm&audi don't like mercs father does. and to be honest its quite good. int not bad. audi seats better thou. shape I like prob why I bought it, and to be fair its been fine no probs old pete is prob right but the facts sent me into a panic for an hour or two was searching websites looking for replacement, ive only had it 8months now but defo don't like the idea that its more or less made by ford. and customized by tata. audi is good Richard really good a4s a6s very common mate has a7 very good had a spin in it quatro s-line 245 very good . maybe a bit slower than the xj but not by much . was hoping to hold on to her for another two years then maybe r10 audi faster than ftype. and now I know feel robbed , if I wanted a ford would have bought a focus or a Mondeo but at 35k cash feel raped

Joe I have to admit I considered cutting my losses with the XF and selling it of to webuyanyshed but now I'm glad I didn't I found the problem and it's been the car I dreamed of owning since buying it, still very disappointed in the fact when the intercooler bursts which is a common problem Jaguar customer service wash their hands of it so when the inlet manifold and throttle body burst as well I lost all faith, then after getting them all replaced the car just kept coming up restricted performance but then I found a broken vacuum hose and all has been fine since, but during my times of constant problems I was at Bisley shooting ground when I got talking to another Jag owner who had the XJ he had nothing but trouble too with leaks and wind noise etc turned out the roof had not been welded properly......

But all said and done I'm happy now just not so happy on having to spend thousands on repairs that should not have been needed

Regards

Rich

cheers bud, mines been fine only had it 8mth but getting frightened don't like fords full off problems cheap cheap parts and comps probs waiting to happen. im dumping it quick. this weekend. I am sorry but I know I am in a better position than a lot but this news has scared me into the fact that I have bought a piece of s###  so leaving the forum good bye and good luck joe

Joe,  I think you are failing to understand what happens in the Automotive Industry.  A car is designed by a company's design team, and the parts that make up the car are sourced from many different companies. A part that fails is not always the fault of the company whose name son the bonnet!  The Aston Martin has used the Ford engines for years, in the same way that Morgan have used both Ford and Rover engines.  I think that you would not consider either marque to be a Ford or a Rover purely because of the engine that powers the car.

Richard has had many problems with his XF that I think have frustrated him immensely and should never have happened.  The earlier XF models had their teething problems and some of the blame could be levelled at the source from which some of the ancillary parts came.

Regards,

Peter.

P.S.  To add an aside re the noise from the roof of an XF  ---  Welded by a robot but a failure by quality control at Castle Bromwich.