S Type - 2001 - 3.0 Automatic - Few problems

bobbybiscuit

Need some help please

Took car to small local garage because an error message - Low Brake Fluid - and also red brake light on - follows a garage pressure washing car. There is an oddity though the message goes when it rains. Returns when it get dry.

Garage checked brakes - all pads Ok. Brake fluid level on maximum.

Secondly, when the mechanic drove the car in the the workshop he got a wheel spin because floor was slippery with rain water. The result is that there is a warning light on - orange - re traction control. Keeps flashing - cant get rid of it. What needs to be done by the garage to get rid of it please?

I will show the respones to the garage so long as there is nothing contentious .

Thank you

Hi Robert,

Just a quick response to the orange lights  --   I think you can erase them using a OBD2 code scanner - most mechanics have one, and you can buy one from eBay for around £20 - £40.

Regards,

Peter.

Hello Peter - Made some enquiries online with an ex jag technician and his reply was as follows:

Flashing dsc icon does mean that the system will need to be calibrated with the Jag tool. 

I cant believe that a car has to go in to Jaguar every time you have a wheel spin for recalibration. Others must have encountered the same problem as me surely. Any comments please.

A bit strange, that Robert.  My DSC light flashed after a wheelspin on leaves last autumn, and I just plugged in the OBD Scanner, erased the code, and it has not done it since.  In fact, the roadholding is great!

Peter.

Any thoughts on the low brake fluid level? 

That could be a sensor fault.  But if the car stops, and you are not losing fluid  you should be OK.

I take it if the brakes are working as they should then it should not fail the MOT because it has that error message. 

I have no problem with the brakes. Does as it should. It seems to me that these sensors on cars are actually sensing anything but are themselves the cause of the problems. 

I have just remembered Peter I have a scanner I bought years ago that clears codes. Just need to find out where I plug it in. Cant remember the last time I used it. Will let you know. Will have a go at the tomorrow morning. 

Thanks for information Peter.

THe former Jag mechanic also reckons that once the error light is on the traction control does not work.

Anyway, I will have a play about tomorrow morning. Weather will be better then.

Not using Jag at the moment, the window regulator went and has dropped down inside the door. All I can hear is crunching.

Thanks 

Really? The only time your TC/DSC light should flash is when the car needs to apply TC/DSC to stop wheel spin/slides etc. If your TC/DSC is on then there should be no light seen, if you have it turned off then there should be a constant light on to tell you it is turned off. Only when you cause slide/wheelspin etc will the light flash to let you know that it is currently working to keep the car corrected.

Hi Robert,

I was as mystified as Phillip when I read your post.

I have had the flashing  DSC light on once and I knew why  --  I had wheelspin on wet leaves. It went straight off when I got on to drier ground - 2 seconds.

I would be inclined to avoid that dealership.

Regards,

Peter.

Thanks for your input Peter and Phillip. I think I will hit the dealership head on tomorrow as they are only 4 miles away.

Now I must admit i was surprised as to what the dealership said. But how come your light went out and mine dis not is interesting. I have read from researching the internet again that the dealership have to reset the the traction control including resetting the steering. Although I have had a garage check to see if there were an error codes and there are not.

I find it hard to believe that the steering and resetting of the traction control has to be reset every time there is a wheelspin.

Right, now to throw the cat amongst the pidgeons- The hand book for the car says the following re Traction Control - quote

" The light will flash at the rate of twice a second when traction control is operating. The light is ON continuously when a fault is detected in the system or the system is turned OFF"

Answers on a post card please - will be interested in your comments now please :-)

Bob

Hi Bob,

I think that there must be a signifiant difference between the 2001 system and that installed in later models.

"Traction control wil intervene to prevent wheelspin -----------  when the system is operating the warning indicator in the instrument pack will light.

It will only stay on when the DSC is not available [to give a synopsis of a long paragraph.]

Peter. 

Just to add, Bob, it seems that in your model that the light staying in flashing mode is indicating that your traction control is working, which I find a little curious, as having a flashing light on your instrument panel would be rather annoying.

Peter.

Thanks Peter. I am thinking that Jaguar considered it was annoying and misleading and changed things on a later model.

I am starting to get used to it now. Yes I agree its odd and annoying. Thank you for your input.

AS an aside I tok my wife from Plymouth to Exeter yesterday for a few hours out and the car went like a dream. Really enjoyed the drive.

• 4 months later...

I have a similar problem. Traction control light is flashing continually at 2 per sec since my ABS pump was replaced. My local garage who did the work said that the traction control needed to be re-calibrated and that whilst he had all the latest diagnostic kit, he didn't have the software to do the job. The constantly flashing light isn't an MOT failure but getting Jaguar to do the re-calibration could be heart failure. Does anyone out there know of any independent with the necessary kit?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have just replaced a faulty ABS sensor which cured the DSC ABS fault but resulted in a flashing TC orange light which is on permanently. Disconnecting the battery overnight made no difference. Full system diagnostics revealed no fault codes however cruise control has stopped working since the TC light came on ! I wonder if there is a connection ?

I await with interest for any reply to Martin's query regarding independent re-calibrating people

I have just replaced a faulty ABS sensor which cured the DSC ABS fault but resulted in a flashing TC orange light which is on permanently. Disconnecting the battery overnight made no difference. Full system diagnostics revealed no fault codes however cruise control has stopped working since the TC light came on ! I wonder if there is a connection ?

I await with interest for any reply to Martin's query regarding independent re-calibrating people

Yes there is a connection. At work we always turn the DSC off for high speed testing because when we go onto the banked corners at speed the car thinks it is losing traction and then tries to apply traction control which is very disconcerting. If we then use the cruise control for any reason the DSC is immeadiately automatically turned back on as cars will not let you run on cruise control with the DSC off. A flashing DSC light means that the car is trying to apply traction control and if your car is constantly doing this and cannot be stopped then this will explain why you cannot use the cruise control.

I have to reiterate, there are 3 states of light for the DSC system....

1-  If there is no light at all then your DSC is turned on and monitoring for any loss of traction.

2-  If your DSC light flashes or is flashing then the car thinks it is losing traction/grip on the road and is applying the DSC to try and sort it out ( this means if your DSC light is always flashing but you have no

loss of traction or grip then there is a fault with your DSC}

3-  if your DSC light is on permanently as a solid light (not flashing) then your DSC has been switched off and if you lose traction/grip the car will not interfere and try to help you out.

As a test driver for the last 16 years (only the last 3 with JLR) i can tell you this is the case with any make of car fitted with DSC  and if your DSC is constantly flashing then you have a problem with your DSC system, no matter what any garage may try to tell you differently.