Any Thoughts on Which S-Type To Buy

NumeatonGraham

Hi Everyone,

as per my previous post i am now looking to purchase an S-Type,but which model,any thoughts please?

I have owned a 2004 S-type 3ltr Auto Petrol before but would appreciate your thoughts.

Is the 2.5 V6 ok,or a Diesel....but concerned about the DPF reliability.

Look forward to your replies,many thanks.

Graham.

Hi Graham,

You have had the 3.0 litre petrol, so I guess you will be able to compare performance with both the 2.5 litre petrol and the 2.7 Diesel.

The DPF will regenerate itself with a good run once a month or so, and even though I do a lot of short runs I have not had any problems on my 2.7 Diesel in respect of the DPF.

There have been 2 issues I have had, one being the electronic handbrake which has stuck a few times in cold weather but is easily released, and the other being the EGR valves sticking on a few occasions.  The EGR valves can be cured on occasion by a good blast, or the use of various EGR cleaners --  I have used Wynnes twice with good results.

The 2.5 litre petrol engine is the one used in the X type and is a good sound engine, and gave me no problems during the time I had an X Type. A friend of mine bought one as his retirement present to himself and though highly of it.

The big advantage of a diesel is the mpg  ---  the best I have had on a long run to Sheffield was 53 mpg and I always get over 40 mpg on a longer run irrespective of how I drive.

If you are leaning towards a diesel, you are welcome to have a test run in mine anytime!

Regards,

Peter.

Hi Graham,

You have had the 3.0 litre petrol, so I guess you will be able to compare performance with both the 2.5 litre petrol and the 2.7 Diesel.

The DPF will regenerate itself with a good run once a month or so, and even though I do a lot of short runs I have not had any problems on my 2.7 Diesel in respect of the DPF.

There have been 2 issues I have had, one being the electronic handbrake which has stuck a few times in cold weather but is easily released, and the other being the EGR valves sticking on a few occasions.  The EGR valves can be cured on occasion by a good blast, or the use of various EGR cleaners --  I have used Wynnes twice with good results.

The 2.5 litre petrol engine is the one used in the X type and is a good sound engine, and gave me no problems during the time I had an X Type. A friend of mine bought one as his retirement present to himself and though highly of it.

The big advantage of a diesel is the mpg  ---  the best I have had on a long run to Sheffield was 53 mpg and I always get over 40 mpg on a longer run irrespective of how I drive.

If you are leaning towards a diesel, you are welcome to have a test run in mine anytime!

Regards,

Peter.

Many thanks for that Peter,

i had a look at a diesel at the weekend which i felt was something to be desired condition wise and was not cheap.I felt that it had not been looked after,and this was presented by a dealer,which surprised me as first impressions count.

I suppose with the diesel the cam belts need changed where as with the 3ltr petrol these are chain driven.

Also my mileage has dropped considerably so the fuel mpg savings would not be an issue.

There do seem to be a lot of 2.5 V6 for sale at the moment.

With regards the 2007 i see the road tax is around £590 i think,but these are a nice car at this year.

Many thanks for your time Peter,i will keep you updated and thank you for the kind offer of a test drive in your car.

Graham

Hi Graham, 

The cam belts on the diesel need to be changed at 105k.

The road fund on the 2.7 diesel is £290, and I think the 2.5 Petrol is the same 05 plate and under.

Regards,

Peter.

Very kind offer from peter there!!

I had a 99 'T reg 3.0 petrol auto which was my 1st Jaguar and although it had its age related niggles it was a fine, fast saloon and very comfortable!!

I bought my 06 2.7d manual just before Christmas and it's the best car I've ever owned

I get around 38 to 42 in general tooling about and upto 50 on a run which makes Jaguar ownership very nice

The only problem I've had was a strange cruise problem which cured it's self over a 3week or so period.

I was worried about the dpf having read some horror stories about engine failure caused by dpf failing and mixing diesel with Oil but I do a minimum of 10 miles per trip living where we do and twice a week a 50mile round trip to the mother in laws.

My only snippet of advice is set your budget and find the best car you can, I looked at quite a few upto my 5k limit and found my one owner car at £4500 having seen loads of multi owner uncared for ones

I've not had my diesel for long but, driving 20 miles (round trip) to work each day, I haven't had any DPF problems as of yet. The diesel engine is no slouch in standard form and with the addition of a "Synergy" module goes very well. Certainly enough performance for my needs.

When I was considering buying an S type I had a test drive in a 3.0 petrol and it drove like a dog to be honest. I know my experience isn't indicative of the engine having been in a friend's car with a sorted 3.0 which goes superbly.

It is my personal view, and not a criticism, that the later 2.5 petrol engine is not a match for the weight and bulk of the S Type. I felt it lacked the verve of a good 3.0 or the diesel. of course, that's a subjective view :)

Hi Graham I,ve had my 2.5 litre for just over a year now it has 134000 miles and dose'nt miss a beat.So quiet and refined plenty of power to.

Hi David,

Does the 2.5 V6 have cam belts that need replacing?If so would you know if that is a difficult job to do?

I havn't had the 2.5 V6 before and as there seem to be a number about for sale i was thinking of trying one.

My days of putting the foot to the floor are now gone,just after a comfortable ride.

My current car is a Mercedes 320 Cabriolet lovely car but just that bit too low for me now.

Many Thanks for the reply.

Hi Graham,

The 2.7 Diesel has cam belts which need changing at 105k.  All the petrol models have cam chains.

You don't get the chance to go quickly on the A5 with all the roadworks.

Regards,

Peter.

Hi Graham,

The 2.7 Diesel has cam belts which need changing at 105k.  All the petrol models have cam chains.

You don't get the chance to go quickly on the A5 with all the roadworks.

Regards,

Peter.

Hi Peter,

thanks for the info.

Yes i can remember when i use to ues the A5 on a Sunday morning in my XJS V12......nice memories.

Graham

Hi Everyone,

well i have done it.....back in Jaguar Ownership.

Purchased today a 2005 Jaguar S-Type 3ltr se Auto with 49k miles on the clock,one owner vehicle.

I pick the car up on Friday afternoon,looking forward to it.

Thanks for all your replies.

Graham :D

• Like 1