egr blanking plate

the guardian

hi all 

i have been thinking of blanking the egr off  NOW some say its best to take the inlet manifold off and clean/flush it all out after blanking egr  would love to know what members think about this. as their is conflicting  reports 

ron 

Get a lot of people blanking egr's or getting them deleted on there transits, some say it's better some say they regret it. I suppose it's put on a vehicle for a good reason. Why are you thinking of blanking it off?

it all depends on the year of the car some have electronic with a sensor some don't they tend to stick a fair bit and the eml keeps coming on  and i have been told it will help with accelerator.

response 

normally if will give them a good run it sometimes clears it but its not 100% so im taking the car off the rd at the w/end taking it all off  inlet manifold etc and give it all a good clean out and put the blanking plate in 

reset the the code and see what happens.

Paul not an mot fail so ive been told       and putting the blanking plate in gives the car more accelerator response (quicker) a bit more get up & gone rather than get up & go so to speak .

ron  

well blanking plate is on & egr cleaned out and all seems fine with kitty all in all about one hour cleaning & fitting and the normal cup of tea half way though.

And all is true as far as i can tell the car runs and drives a lot more responsive when you put your foot down with little fuel reduction if any i still got between 56.7 - 60.4 mpg on a 46 mile trip this morning from a cold start on A + B roads stop /starting.  

so very happy at the moment and the best £2.95p ive ever spent. 

will keep all updated as & when  :)  :)  :)  :) 

(this is on my 2009 x type 2.0)

Thanks Ron.

Something for me to think about :)

Hi Paul.

You cannot fully blank off the EGR valves on the s type, due to the electronic system of operation.  I have heard that doing a partial blanking is not that advantageous, and personally I wouldn't bother.

If a good blast doesn't clear them,  Wynn's EGR cleaner does the job successfully.

Regards,

Peter.

Hi Paul,

You have to remove the air filter, and spray directly into the air intake.

You have to get the engine up to operating temperature and keep the revs over 1200 and under 1500.

I have had to use only three in 2 years.

Regards,

Peter.

Hi Paul,

I forgot to sat that when the warning light comes on and Code P0402 is revealed by the OBD2 scanner, all it means is that the valve is closed [sticky] and the computer is telling it to open and it will cause no harm to the engine.

Regards,

Peter.

• 1 month later...

Hi Paul,

I had heard that the S Type has a system that  does not allow a full blanking of the  egr valves, -- due to the electrical operation  --  but will allow a partial blanking of them.

I am undecided,

Regards,

Peter.

My research suggests that earlier models, with a VIN number where the 10th digit is a 6 or less, can be completely blanked off Peter. The later VIN numbers are likely to cause a permanent MIL light on.

I'm waiting for a couple of replies regarding whether the Land Rover and Jaguar versions of the engine will both have the same digit at position 10.

I never have liked EGR valves and I'm of the opinion, that the reduction in EGT, in an attempt to reduce the NOx output, pretty much a political knee jerk reaction, has rebound effects by increasing other pollutants, notably, unburnt hydrocarbons.

I removed the EGR completely in both of my Rover 75s and it was well worthwhile. In fact, in the later one, a pipe of roughly 55mm internal diameter had been reduced to a size that a pencil wouldn't go through.

As an aside, I've just learned how to completely remove my air filter lid. What a right royal PITA that is, until you get the lid off for the first time and realise how easy it would have been had you known then what you know now... so to speak.

I was chuffed to see the inside of the air filter housing as clean as a whistle as well, having heard horror stories of the amount of debris to be expected inside.

So Wynn's EGR cleaner tomorrow afternoon, I think, when I can convince SWMBO to be the S Type pilot and keep the throttle in a fixed position.

If that has a noticeable effect then so be it, but I will probably go for the EGR removal if research suggests that my VIN number will allow.

When the old girl gets the wind in her sails she fairly flies, but at low revs, she is just a tad less responsive than I'd like :)

And... isn't it wonderful to be paying less for diesel than others are paying for petrol :lol:

Hi Paul,

We had a nice day yesterday meandering round the Cotswolds, and got back to see Diesel down to 113.9 as against Petrol at 115.9!

The manufacturers are now apparently fitting egr valves to petrol cars!  Personally I don't see a great deal of use for them although they must collect some soot particles  ---  which probably could have been collected by the DPF.

Glad you have got the air filter cover off.  I wonder what it was sticking.

Regards

Peter.

• 3 years later...

Hi Allan, 

Removing the DPF is now an automatic MOT failure.

I am a bit mystified about the engine you now have, as the original 2.7 D is  Ford and Peugeot designed [with some input from other potential users] and is very reliable.

I am also a bit mystified with the Registration plate as the DVLA has no records of this car.  I would welcome an explanation,

Regards

Peter,

New members should note that some of us are, or have been, members of the Criminal Justice, Law Enforcement or Judicial communities away well as Jaguar aficionados. The rest of us are just vigilantes.

Now then, now then Allen is this a fair cop or what?🖐️