2.1 to 2.5 or 3.0

Asingood

Hi am thinking of replacing my 2.1 classic with a larger engined version and was wondering if there are things I should look out for,am going for the auto version,have seen a few on autotrader and spotted a few targets and spoke to a couple of traders and hoping to go have a look at a couple on sat,thanks,seen a couple with tow bars which I don't need but do they cause any type of damage?

in ref to the tow bars it all depends on what they've been towing if anything if you think about it, i.e caravan / trailer / boat / sml garden trailer  i would pay extra attn to the shocks / bushes on the rear end if its been towing i cant see an owner putting a towbar on just for the hell of it.  

Ron 

Hi am thinking of replacing my 2.1 classic with a larger engined version and was wondering if there are things I should look out for,am going for the auto version,have seen a few on autotrader and spotted a few targets and spoke to a couple of traders and hoping to go have a look at a couple on sat,thanks,seen a couple with tow bars which I don't need but do they cause any type of damage?

Hi,

If you are thinking of upgrading to the 2.5 or 3.0 providing you get a good one then I know that you will not regret it, both are equally good engines and well looked after they are bomb-proof. I currently have a 2.5 manual estate and my last car was a 3.0 auto saloon.

Running costs ie fuel consumption the 3.0 is slightly thirstier, particularly round town but the extra performance over the 2.5 is nice to have. I had a bad experience with the auto box on my saloon in that it packed in without warning with 124k on the car. Due to the cost of getting a replacement and having it fitted made the repair beyond economic sense so I broke up the car and bought my current model. The 3.0 engine still lives on in a friend's estate, properly looked after you can expect over 200k from these engines. 

If you are seriously looking for an auto then I would avoid any that have been used for towing unless it was for nothing more than a light trailer and trips to the local tip- you have to accept that autobox repairs are very expensive and a box failure will probably mean the death of your car so you need to minimise that risk.

Obviously all 2.5's and 3.0's have the all wheel drive system and it has been known for some transfer boxes to fail. It's not as terminal as an auto box failing but still a pricey repair, so on your test drive be listening for any loud whines coming from the box.

Like all X types check the sills, behind the plastic sill covers, for corrosion particularly if you're looking at an early one. If you can get the car on a ramp and get properly underneath it then all the better. If you find one that is rust free or virtually so and you buy it get some Waxoil or Bilt Hamber Dynax into the sills to keep the car that way.

Finally, remember that there's loads of X types available out there so choice isn't a problem and be prepared to travel a bit to get the right car, rather than only looking in your immediate area. Also enthusiasts forums aren't a bad place to start because although some members can ask for more money than they are really worth, if they are realistic then they will adjust the price and you will have a car that has been molly-coddled by a fussy owner.

Best of luck with your serach

Hi all have seen a 2.5 saloon at a trader who is offering a 3 year warranty and it's bright red so sent a message awaiting a reply but will mate sure that the warranty covers transfer box before going any further

Hi Robert,

I towed a caravan for years and for 11 years with a Rover Sterling Automatic.  If a tower has been fitted and you know what it has been towing then if it is under the 85% of the kerb weight of the car you should be OK.

Unfortunately many towers do not stick by the guidelines, so I would be quite careful.

I had a 2.5 x type Saloon with a manual gearbox and found it a very nice car,

Regards,

Peter.

Thanks Peter am going for a look on Sat ,spoke to garage owner seems a nice guy very helpful ,cars a 2003 model and the 3 year warranty seems a good deal from the photos looks very very good priced at £3600 so have to do a bit of bargaining ,thing is my car just drive so well hope the difference is a clincher

Well last two days have been to see two cars and hav bought the 3.0 ltr one I have seen today pick up sat 11 th sending him my docs so the can change my reg onto new car,after driving these cannot believe how much better they drove and handled compared to my 2.1,think I might need to update my sat nav with speed camera locations

Well last two days have been to see two cars and hav bought the 3.0 ltr one I have seen today pick up sat 11 th sending him my docs so the can change my reg onto new car,after driving these cannot believe how much better they drove and handled compared to my 2.1,think I might need to update my sat nav with speed camera locations

Well done, you won't regret it I'm sure, you'll have to post up some piccies when you get it.

The only downside is that you'll be getting to know the staff at your local petrol station a lot better- I've helped one at mine over the past few years fly back to India and go and see his old mum in Delhi!  :wacko:

I have a speed controller in my S type, usually in the front passenger seat.

Peter.

I have a speed controller in my S type, usually in the front passenger seat.

Peter.

I just totally got rid of mine, it was an expensive modification though.............. cost me half of the house!   :unsure:

Mine has been working well for 50 years, and can understand my boy racer ambitions as well as advising me on speed cameras

I know that there's a lot of drivers that have these and like yourself are quite happy with them Peter. But there's a lot of different models on the market and they're not all of the same standard. I was probably just unlucky in the one that I had but I couldn't live with it anymore and it just had to go.

I've tried a few prototype replacements since but up to now I've not found one that I'm sure I'd be happy to have installed permanently. However, I'm going to keep testing models as they come available and you never know I might one day find one that I'm happy to keep!  :D