New 2009 X Type owner welcomes advice!

KentSovereign

Hello everyone, I'm pleased to join this site and even more pleased to (very shortly) get my first Jaguar. It's a 2009 2.0 diesel Sovereign Estate and I can't wait to take it out and about :-)

As a newbie to Jaguars and this site, I welcome any hints/ tips/ advice/ warnings about how to get the most from the car, common faults and easy improvements. I know I want MP3 audio asap (assume it's easy to buy aftermarket units that work with the Premium Sound System? Or use an Audiovox RDS USB interface?)

It's coming with optional Jaguar 18'' wheels but I assume the standard 17'' wheels will give a better ride? Looks like you can swap them without any changes to the speedo etc because the 17'' are higher profile? 

It also has a sunroof that I think was optional - will than need any TLC or are they reliable?

Thanks for any help you give me, happy motoring! 

Hello everyone, I'm pleased to join this site and even more pleased to (very shortly) get my first Jaguar. It's a 2009 2.0 diesel Sovereign Estate and I can't wait to take it out and about :-)

As a newbie to Jaguars and this site, I welcome any hints/ tips/ advice/ warnings about how to get the most from the car, common faults and easy improvements. I know I want MP3 audio asap (assume it's easy to buy aftermarket units that work with the Premium Sound System? Or use an Audiovox RDS USB interface?)

It's coming with optional Jaguar 18'' wheels but I assume the standard 17'' wheels will give a better ride? Looks like you can swap them without any changes to the speedo etc because the 17'' are higher profile? 

It also has a sunroof that I think was optional - will than need any TLC or are they reliable?

Thanks for any help you give me, happy motoring! 

Hi there and welcome to the forum, sounds like you've got yourself a nice motor.

Being a diesel you'll have the EGR valve and judging by the model year yours will have been fitted with a DPF, both which I know can be slightly problematic but there's tons of information out there with how to deal with them. I'm a petrol owner so can't offer much on that but some diesel owners will probably be along shortly to advise.

Improvements, well there's loads that can be done but seeing as yours is Sovereign spec it doesn't really leave you much. With regards to MP3, you can get an ACM (audio connectivity module) fitted that is a genuine Jaguar part but (I hope that you're sat down now) new from Jag they're about £350 and being as rare as hen's teeth they regularly go (when they do become available on Ebay) for up to £200. I opted for a Pure DAB 3000 unit which gives me DAB radio and ipod connectivity plus one extra auxiliary if required. It's been a great modification for me and a lot cheaper than the ACM route.

The sunroof is a rare optional extra on X types. The best maintenance advice for any sunroof is a couple of times a year is to open it fully, clean any rubbish such as tree seeds and the like out and make sure that drain apertures are clear, the mechanism you just have to spray with silicone (available at most motor factors) and if you're really keen some Castrol red rubber grease on the rubber seals does it the world of good. Castrol RRG is brilliant for all the door seals too, stops them cracking.

17 inch rims are a little bit less harsh than the 18" ones, if you're interested in a set I've got a set of Bermudas to sell at the moment with tyres. PM me if interested. 16 inch rims are a lot more comfortable still but frankly I think that they look crappy, just too small.

Anyway once again welcome and I'm sure that you'll be pleased with your purchase- I know I am with mine!  :D

Hi Pop and welcome to the club,

Philip has given some very good pointers to some of the technical things that confuse me,

I agree with him about the wheels.  I had 17" wheels on my x type and they look just right and give a comfortable ride  ---  my S Type has 18" wheels which I think are about right too for the car.

My car is a 2.7Diesel which has two EGR valves which sometimes get a bit sticky and when the amber warning light comes on it is usually code  P0402 which tells me that the valves have stayed closed and the ECU is going spare trying to open it.  Often a good blast cures it, but if not a can of Wynns Diesel EGR cleaner will do the job - at about £8 a can.

If you do a good mileage you should have no problem with the DPF.  When it is full it needs regenerating and a simple run of about 20 minutes at 50 mph after the engine has reached  the normal running temperature will complete the regeneration.  Having said that, I do a  lot of short runs and a longer one once a month and it has never been a problem -- no warning at all.

The x type is rather a good car, and the Sovereign is well kitted out.

Regards,

Peter.

Hi Pop and welcome to the Jaguar OWNERS CLUB. I cannot verbally speak about the model you have due to the fact I am an XKR owner transferring from a SL55 AMG. The first thing I done was to buy aftermarket MP3 however, as for 17" and 18" wheels I do not believe there will be much difference. I swapped my 20" to 18" simply for tyre wear and the ride improved dramatically due to the higher profile of the tyres however, I cannot state that the handling differed, I honestly don't know.

i thought only 2.2 & above  had dpf not  2.0  ( i blanked my egr off i think the best £2.95p i have ever spent with very little reduced mpg but much better response on my 2009

2.0  diesel est still getting between 50 - 60 did a 500 mile round trip  +  ( plus running around short trips stop start stuff  ) then back to Berkshire on  just under 3/4 of a tank & the dial was still showing 173 miles left ?  which i think is good . 

Ron

i thought only 2.2 & above  had dpf not  2.0  

Ron

Hi Ron

You may well be right on that, in all honesty I probably know more about quantum physics than I do about diesel X types!

Hi Ron

You may well be right on that, in all honesty I probably know more about quantum physics than I do about diesel X types!

Hi Phillip,

I have had a look at the specification of the x type.  It appears that DPFs were fitted to all Facelifted X Types in 2007 ----  according to one report.

A check on that by looking for a DPF for a 2007 -  2009 X type 2.0 litre Diesel for sale throws up a complete blank.

Ron is quite right, as I think if people are not selling something then there aren't any.

Regards,

Peter.

Hi Ron, 

I think that the reason was that the emissions from the 2.0 litre D passed the euro  4 emissions standard.

There is strong opinion that the scare about the DPF is equivalent to the scare about the catalytic converters.

Peter. 

Hi pop

Welcome to the Club

About the DPFilter it was offered as an optional extra from 2007 onwards , but on Facelift models (2008/09) was fitted as standard on the 2-2 Automatic models only I think as I have a friend who has a 59 Reg 2-2 manuel and it doesn't have a DPFILTER.

Regards

Tom

Thank you everyone, much appreciated.

I found a brochure a few weeks back so I know it doesn't have DPF but I do lots of miles anyway, so that shouldn't have been a problem. Quite a few sites say the build quality for the last cars was poor because staff were on notice, which is why I thought I'd see if there were any particular things to look out for.

Looking forward to using Premium Sound System on a sunny summer drive, does it sound as good as I think it will? Not yet played it on the move!

Ron - that is better MPG than I was expecting. My Juke does low 50s on a commute that includes A and B roads, motorway and crawling in London rush hour, I was expecting Jag to be low 40s so I may be surprised......  Assume blanking off the EGR was easy?

yes mate it is , you can do it in less than five mins loosen off the two nuts-slide the blanking in and tighten back up.  now a some members from here and the ford forums have said you should take the egr & the inlet manifold  off and give it a good clean,i didnt bother  but i did use a cleaner in the fuel /injectors  with no set backs or EML light up.

hope this helps

Ron  

There are supposed to be all round benefits that the EGR valves bring.  There are two valves on the s type than cannot be fully blanked off, and the manufacturers are introducing or have introduced them on petrol engines.

The same with the DPF  ---   one of my neighbours has had the DPF removed on his 2.0 litre Mazda 6 and the casing having been emptied, put back on, and it still passed the emissions test and the MOT even though removal is an MOT fail.

While reducing emissions is important, there must become a point when it becomes impossible.

Hi Ron,

We thought that about the old side valve engine!  :rolleyes:

Much of the answer to emissions is better quality fuel.  It was done with unleaded without a problem quite a few years ago.

I have just filled up my car with Shell V power and I noticed while I was filling up that the price of standard unleaded was 116.9p a litre and standard diesel 117.9.

Soon diesel will be cheaper that petrol.

Regards,

Peter.

you may well be right their peter, a lot of people say to me why did i go for a diesel car & TBH the only reason is i do a lot of miles in the car & diesel does make sense if your doing over the average mileage every yr