Tyres

Russ68

I only did a cursory web and forum search before starting this topic, so please just direct me to previous discussions if it's been done to death before. I have 245/45/18's on my Sport, but from 4 different manufacturers, which I hate!!! I only ever change per axle or ideally for a set of 4, and I'd like to rectify this ASAP. What is the current thinking on best sensibly priced S-Type tyres

Thanks, Russ

Not sure about the S Type however, I recently had a very good deal on Michelins for my wife's car via my tyres.com

Purchased on line and fitted balanced etc free at a National Tyre centre of your choice including date/am or pm options.

Paid £90.00 each but had the same tyres on my SL which were on there for nearly 30,000 miles before needing to be changed.

I have always had a lot of time for Nexen tyres.

Subjectively (of course) they have always provided me with sufficient longevity, dry grip and wet grip, and relative quietness.

I imagine some will be a bit concerned at anything less than a premium Goodyear, or Michelin etc, but I speak as I find, and I'm totally confident to transport SWMBO, grandchildren etc.

I have been known to drive... erm... enthusiastically on occasion and the Nexen's seemed more than capable.

I put Nexen N8000 all round on my S Type as soon as I got it and I'm thoroughly satisfied so far.

Same size as yours btw.

Mine were fitted by a mobile tyre fitting service and cost £350 all in.

The last Nexen tyres I had were on my Rover 75 and had done 28 000 miles when I sold her with many more miles left in them.

Hi Russ, 

My wheels are the same size as yours. 

There was a recent survey on tyres which looked at things like the EU requirements re noise, Roadholding, and stopping in the wet which we get a lot of in the UK.

I haven't got the full list but Goodyear Eagle Asymmetric came out top, with Vredestein a close second.  I changed by front pair from the Pirellis to Goodyear using Halfords - which gave me the best price and a fiver each cheaper than Vredestein, for £250.

They are very good and quieter than Pirellis.

Peter.

Thanks all, would the 18" rim be an 8J and is the general recommend to stick exactly to original size and profile? Mine are actually 245/40/18 not 45's I mentioned yesterday. I have an MG and a couple of Land Rovers and people freely use whatever will fit on the rims with these marques, going from 185 to 205 or 235 to 255 etc. I suspect a 255 or 265/40 will fill the arches better and potentially provide more grip, but I would not want to attempt these to the detriment of the car and it's handling. I suspect I'll be told to stick with original sizings, but I'm interested to know if there is an upgrade / option retaining the original rims, thanks!

Hi Paul, this is a valid concern, if my calculations are correct a 255/40 has an 4% higher profile than a 245/40, which only equates to 1.2% when the wheel is added in. This becomes c2.5% in terms of additional circumference and gearing, or nearly 5% with a 265, so is worth considering. I'll check mine against a GPS at some point to see how accurate it actually is as they often read over in my experience...

Thanks Andy, my insurance allows for mods, excluding nitrous and forced induction, providing I notify them in advance, but I think it was worth asking the question re tyre sizes. Many vehicles, including the MGF appear to be thrown together with bits from the parts bin and there is advantage in questioning and modifying / upgrading where possible. This may not be the case with the S-Type, but I'm new to the car so I thought I'd ask the experts ;)

Altering the tyre size/profile can invalidate your insurance in the event of a serious accident.

Also, I don't think jaguar just thought " that size looks right" they spend millions to get to the correct size!!

I am inclined to agree with Andy on the size of wheels, and a good look at what options are available to be put on the model before it leaves the factory is useful.  As far as I can gather, the options for the S Type were 17", 18"  and 19" wheels with slightly different speed ratings. 

Staying within the guidelines on sizes to me is a must.  The type of tyre is a personal choice as long last it meets the guidelines.

I used to know a senior salesman for a tyre supplier to Vauxhall when I lived in North Wales, and he used spend quite some time discussing tyre requirements with the design team at Ellesmere port, and some of those requirements led to changes/improvements in manufacture.

Peter. 

Just bought 4 new tyres for my s-type. Never been a fan of expensive tyres. I bought some HI-FLY bugets on eBay £196 for a set of four 245/45/18 and got my cousin to fit them at his garage for £20. Wet grip on these is fantastic and very little road noise. Sure enough six days after i got a nail in one of them!

I would personally have no objection to changing the wheel or tyre size to any vehicle so long as the calculations have been carried out correctly. I changed my 20"BBS wheel with 35 profile tyres due to the hard ride they were giving. I chose an 18" wheel then used a number of tyre/wheel calculation websites to verify each gave me the correct combination. I now rum on 18" Coventry Hornet Wheels with a 45 profile, width of wheel remain the same. An example of the online calculation websites can be found here: http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-Size-Calculator/285-35R20/245-45R19

Thanks Ken, a good calculator that, I worked it out manually and this is much simpler! If the 18" rim is indeed an 8", then the 245 standard tyre would seem the maximum width, so I guess I'll be sticking with that ;)

I had to stick with a 9" rim in order that I could maintain the 275 try on the rear, I have 8" on front due to the fact I have 245 there. The fact that both front an rear were two different sizes from Manufacturer made it very difficult to purchase a set of wheels of different sizes.

post-7121-0-55220700-1438703449_thumb.jp

Hi all,

Can anyone identify my wheel please, it's 18" from a 2001 S-Type Sport, but I think not the Monaco alloy that many of them had.

I like them but a couple are badly kerbed and I'd prefer a full size spare, so if I could find a couple 2nd hand, it would be a bonus, and knowing what they are would be a good start to tracking them down  ;)

Thanks, Russ