Wynns EGR cleaner

carpmadjohn

this is going to sound so stupid ! 

As stated im getting rubbish mpg in my 2.7, down to 28 now, so i baught a tin of wyns egr cleaner.  Where do i spray it? i noticed when opening the airbox it has to maf sensors, can i spay it before the maf sensors? 

the air filter was hanging ! really really bad, so ive changed that also, hoping to get the mpg up before i turn to the terraclean egr cleaning system !

Hi John,

Get the engine to its normal running temperature, and then take out the air filter.  You will then see the air intake.

Spray into the air intake, while you have someone with their foot on the accelerator to keep the revs at 1200 rmph.

Spray in bursts with three or four good squirts a minute till the can is used up.

There is also some Wynns engine cleaner which is an additive to be used about every 3000 miles.

Also use the best premium fuel.

Regards,

Peter.

Maf

Just straight in to the air intake, John.

If you have someone keeping the revs circa 1200 rpm steady you will hear the engine start increasing in revs momentarily from time to time.

Peter.

• 1 year later...

Hi Dave,

No. Wrong place.

I has to be sprayed into the air intake.  You should take out your air filter keep the lid prized up and using the extension spray into the air intake. 

My air filter won't lift at the moment due to it being fitted on tightly after the last service!  I have been using an additive from Miller Oils, which does the job and saves me taking off the filter.

Photo 1. Engine compartment.  2.  Air filter.  3.  The Air intake  ---  after the filter the intake come our and then dips at a 90 degree angle.

Regards

Peter.

IMG_0586.JPG

IMG_0592.JPG

IMG_0588.JPG

Done!

I guess I just need to see if it clears my EGR fault codes now! Hopefully it'll keep me out of restricted mode until I can get a proper clean out done.

Just out of curiosity what was the bit I was pointing at? It seemed to be leaking a fair amount of something (diesel Oil or just general engine muck) I tightened it up to hopefully stop future leaks.

I was going to have a stab at taking the EGR valves out to clean them, but having seen where they are I decided that may have to wait until I know the car a bit better.

Thank you,

Dave 

Hi Dave,

I am not sure what the other tube is  ---  I'm from the lump hammer and adjustable spanner era!.

I would out that removing the EGR valves for cleaning was not an easy job, and one of them was more difficult than the other.  I have managed by using spray and additives for almost 4v years.

Regards,

Peter.

• 4 years later...

I know this is an older topic, but I now seem to get the same P0404 with my Jaguar S-type 2.7 2008.
I want to try to spray the EGR Cleaner, but where exectly...?
Is it the square whole under the air filter? I'm still not sure...?

Hi Dave, I am new to Jags but over 30 years exp., on Mercs. If you are suspecting the EGR (and that code could be telling you, hey Man I am choking down here)- you can use additive to temporarily solve the problem of a sick engine.  But if you are after a lower total cost to own the car long term, you had better get them cleaned since the cost would A. be far less that the serious engine damage and expensive repair this could cause and B- the improvement in pulling power and fuel consumption would be significant. 

15 hours ago, Bvdh2 said:

I know this is an older topic, but I now seem to get the same P0404 with my Jaguar S-type 2.7 2008.
I want to try to spray the EGR Cleaner, but where exectly...?
Is it the square whole under the air filter? I'm still not sure...?

Hi Bart,

Using Wynns spray you need to remove the filter and spray into the exhaust.  I gave up on that when I found Millers DIESEL POWER ECO PLUS and never a problem since that.  With Millers you put a  small amount into the fuel tank every time you fill up which is much easier. I also use premium fuel.

I have also never had a DPF problem even though I do have short journeys.

Regards,

Peter.

12 hours ago, Old Peter said:

Hi Bart,

Using Wynns spray you need to remove the filter and spray into the exhaust.  I gave up on that when I found Millers DIESEL POWER ECO PLUS and never a problem since that.  With Millers you put a  small amount into the fuel tank every time you fill up which is much easier. I also use premium fuel.

I have also never had a DPF problem even though I do have short journeys.

Regards,

Peter.

Hello Peter, 

That sounds good! I will check if we have that available here in Belgium as well. 

But did you use it for maintenance, or did you also use it to get the EGR valve cleaned first? 

For that I wanted to spray a tan of EGR cleaner, but I have no idea what/where the exhaust and/or air intake is... Could you clarify that? Thanks so much!